Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

Pine Barrens Friday the 13th hike

My buds KYBob and GMarc are planning to hit the Pine Barrens with me for a couple of days of hiking. Anyone interested is welcome to come along. This hike is just to keep the legs in shape for the Spring MAHHA pre-hike.

We're considering several itineraries: drive into Batona Camp Friday night, then hike 7 miles to Lower Forge Saturday for a night, then hike back. Or we might drive into Buttonwood Hill Camp, then hike around 8 miles to Mullica River Wilderness camp Saturday night then hike back.

Finally, we also thought about Buttonwood Hill Friday night, drive to Batsto Saturday morning, and hike 7.5 miles to Lower Forge. No matter which itinerary, it will be drive in Friday, and hike 7 to 8 miles in Saturday and out Sunday.

The Jersey Devil is bound to be out on Friday the 13th - you don't want to miss it!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I asked my 12-year-old son if he wanted to come out on a hike in the Pine Barrens on Friday the 13th.

"Friday the 13th? Pine Barrens? Jersey Devil? Count me out," he said. This boy does not take after his father.

Hammock
    BIAS WW, HH UL backpacker
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    20*UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Keep an eye on the news. Wildfire in Chatsworth running wide open right now and have an unconfirmed report of a wildfire on Ft. Dix out on the ranges. Be careful out there!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm watching - the winds have been pretty high in NJ today. Should calm down tonight.

Images
    they feel they have confined it to the triangle of Sooy Place Road, Route 563, and a portion of South Park Road. if they can't keep it from jumping roads it will hit houses.
    last news http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/...ty_Fire_040912
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    My buds KYBob and GMarc are planning to hit the Pine Barrens with me for a couple of days of hiking. Anyone interested is welcome to come along. This hike is just to keep the legs in shape for the Spring MAHHA pre-hike.

We're considering several itineraries: drive into Batona Camp Friday night, then hike 7 miles to Lower Forge Saturday for a night, then hike back. Or we might drive into Buttonwood Hill Camp, then hike around 8 miles to Mullica River Wilderness camp Saturday night then hike back.

Finally, we also thought about Buttonwood Hill Friday night, drive to Batsto Saturday morning, and hike 7.5 miles to Lower Forge. No matter which itinerary, it will be drive in Friday, and hike 7 to 8 miles in Saturday and out Sunday.

The Jersey Devil is bound to be out on Friday the 13th - you don't want to miss it!
    Still planning on this trip. I checked with my buds KYBob and GMarc, and they will pick me up at the Jersey Shore around 2:30 pm Friday the 13th, and we should be at Buttonwood Hills campsite between 4 and 5 pm. Plenty of time to get set up before dark.

We're still discussing Saturday's itinerary, whether we should hike from Buttonwood to Mullica River Wilderness campsite (8 miles), or drive from Buttonwood to Batsto Village and hike 7.5 miles to Lower Forge. That can be a Saturday morning decision.

I lean toward hiking Batsto to Lower Forge just 'cause it's further from Batsto. The longer the hike from Batsto, the less chance of "casual" hikers infiltrating my wilderness experience. Mullica River, at 3.5 miles from Batsto, is just a little too accessible for my tastes.

Besides, I've gotten lost so many times (mostly hiking at night) going Batsto to Lower Forge, I'd like to hike this section in the daytime and not get lost for once.

I'll call tomorrow to check on the fire issue. Last I read, there are 33 different fires in southern New Jersey - the fire north of Apple Pie Hill shouldn't be an issue. Worst case? No campfires, I would think.

Can't wait to get out in the piney woods!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Not too keen on Buttonwood to Lower Forge just 'cause I don't think KYBob and GMarc could do the 10+ miles one way. Me? I'm a well-oiled hiking machine on flat ground.

Highs on Saturday are supposed to be 72* Fahrenheit. I see a dip in the Batsto or Mullica River in my future. Bring your swimsuits!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I can't believe nobody wants to go camping/hiking in the Pine Barrens on Friday the 13th. The Jersey Devil is out there, waiting to welcome you.

Images
    post your final decision. ill be at my sons and might come out sat. nite. he lives about 15 miles from Lower Forge (as the crow flies)
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

I wish I could go. I couldn't get off work. You boys have a good time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast