Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Thanks everyone for the best wishes. I'm really looking forward to getting out.

Quote Originally Posted by dant8ro View Post
    dry sacks are your friend. I use them liberally just in case. Good luck, and grand adventures.

Dan.
    I always use a pack liner, just got a new cuben one from Joe at Z-Packs. So yeah I guess in actuality even if my gear was in the pack it would of stayed dry. That would of been a good test for my pack liner.

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
    sometimes the leak comes from NOT putting the cap correctly...just saying...
    Thanks peanuts, I checked the cap. Their is a leak in the seam of the platty at the top where the cap screws on. I've had years and years of use out of this so I feel I got my monies worth. But thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by 2TallWv View Post
    I do the backpacking dog walks too. The neighbors just stare.haha Glad ya found out before hand, ive been packing a extra platy JIC sometimes. Have a great trip!
    And instead of carrying an extra platty I like to carry a 1L aquafina bottle. I like to have at least one plastic bottle with me in case my platty pops a leak. Same concept of carrying a back up platty however at camp I much more prefer drinking out of a bottle and it makes for fast fill up of water on the trail if I don't feel like digging my platty out of my pack.

Any ways I'm off to fill my pack with the downy goodness of Hammock Gear, the comfort of WBBB, The ultra lightness of Z-Packs Cuben tarps and sacks and lots of yummy snacks.

Talk to yall when I get back,
    Peace
    LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Have fun on the trail.

Hammock
    HH-BULA, ENO SN
    Tarp
    BlueCat, GI Poncho
    Insulation
    Ridgerest+Down Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Straps
    Images
    I've had this happen my last 2 backpacking trips! First one was a brand new CamelBak Antidote with the new quick disconnect stuff and 1/4 turn mouth -- that stuff leaks like a firehose when it's compressed in a pack!

Second one was a brand new Outdoor Product (wallyworld) bladder. Strange since I got YEARS of use out of my first one. Never had a problem until now.

Bought the Osprey bladder (with the reinforced spine) as a replacement and so far so good. Just couldn't decide if I trusted the Platypus BigZip. I also keep all my bladders in a trash bag now too. Cheap insurance.

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJay View Post
    I've had this happen my last 2 backpacking trips! First one was a brand new CamelBak Antidote with the new quick disconnect stuff and 1/4 turn mouth -- that stuff leaks like a firehose when it's compressed in a pack!

Second one was a brand new Outdoor Product (wallyworld) bladder. Strange since I got YEARS of use out of my first one. Never had a problem until now.

Bought the Osprey bladder (with the reinforced spine) as a replacement and so far so good. Just couldn't decide if I trusted the Platypus BigZip. I also keep all my bladders in a trash bag now too. Cheap insurance.
    Does the magnetic do hicky mess with your compass on The Osprey bladder?

Hammock
    HH-BULA, ENO SN
    Tarp
    BlueCat, GI Poncho
    Insulation
    Ridgerest+Down Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TallWv View Post
    Does the magnetic do hicky mess with your compass on The Osprey bladder?
    Not that I noticed. I was aware of it and held the compass away when in use. They are super strong magnets though.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    So hello all. Got back from my trip a few days ago and it was wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. Picked up a new 2L platy at REI. I got the one with the finger loop in it which I found to be very useful. Made carrying it much easier. The bladder held up fine over the 3 days and the water tasted much better then my 5+ year old platy. So a quick trip report.

Day 1
    Gathland to Rock Run a very nice 5.5 mile hike very relaxing just strolled and took my time. Got to camp around 5 built a fire and sat around it just relaxing till about 1am.

Day 2
    Woke up around 4pm could not believe I slept in so late and decided to just stay the night where I was. Built a fire and just sat around snacked on some food until it was time to go to bed again.

Day 3
    Woke up at a much more reasonable hour and decided to hike to Cowell. Started break feast fed the dog and started packing up. This is where things got interesting. I took off Stella's collar to let her eat (that's what we do at home and cause she slept with a collar on I decided to give her neck some time to breath) Now as she was eating and as I was packing up the collar got lost in the process. I spent an hr. and a half looking around for it before finally giving up. Decided it was not safe to have her sleep outside without any identification tags on her or a rabies tag so started to hike back towards Gathland where my car was and as bummed as I was had to drive home on Wednesday instead of Thursday.

However overall it was an excellent trip very relaxing and most enjoyed.

I learned more about what I need on the trail and what I can leave home and most importantly to always check your gear not once, not twice but three times to make sure its all in working condition and ready for the trail.
    Happy Hanging and Safe Hiking
    LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Glad we all are early risers!

So sad I had to miss this one, but there will be many, many, many others! Sounds like it was an adventure (just like every other trip we've done)!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12