Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL & 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Steeler Nation, Thanks for doing the video. You did a great job. I will check out the rest of your videos as well. I am a noob to hammocking, just starting out. I appreciate all the time and effort everyone else puts forth to help us new guys. Thanks again.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Since you have an Osprey Exos, I'm guessing Ultra-lite is important to you. In that case, I would stuff everything in cuben pack liner as you described. Tarp on the outside in the mesh pocket, to keep wet stuff away from dry stuff. That's MY vote anyway!
    that's exactly how i do it, but i use a 3mm trash bag. down booties on bottom soles down, quilts, then hammock. tarp in side mesh pocket w/stakes. i use a go-lite pinnacle.
    KK
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Quote Originally Posted by mtndragon View Post
    I have made a custom bishop bag that allows me to keep underquilt attached, top quilt in the hammock, and the whole thing stuffs in the bag. I have compression straps attached so the whole thing shrinks down to a manageable size. When I get to camp, if I don't need a tarp, total set up is done in under a minute...once trees have been selected.
    I was interested in trying this idea. Does anybody know of a source of Bishop bags in sizes big enough for this method? I have a WBBB 1.0 double layer, Leigh 2/3 summer UQ, and an Enlightened 40F down TQ. If there are no sources for the ready made Bishop bags, what measurements should I use to make a Bishop bag in order for the above set-up fit?

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    tarp is folded and rolled and kept in a separate bag due to it likely being wet. This is the last thing in the pack so I can take it out to dry (if possible) or for quick deployment in inclement conditions.

My quilts are inside my hammock which is then stuffed into a turkey roaster bag and then pushed to the bottom of my pack (GoLite Jam). I smoosh it down to fill all the crevices and get it as small as possible and then twist &tuck the liner to keep it sealed.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    WB CldB/OES McCat
    Insulation
    MAMW tq/WB uq
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Looking over all the comments, I do see some references to compression sacks. I have added an under quilt to my Hennessey, sleeping bag and OES MacCat setup. Although the stuff sack for the HG Incubator is quite small, I still would like to get it smaller. I am hesitant to put the underquilt and sleeping bag (both down) into a compression sack, but I need to gain back some room I have lost in my pack.

There are several people that put the under quilt, etc on the bottom of the pack and the weight of my bear container will compress it, so that is an idea.

Does anyone use compressions sacks for packing your down items on a reqular basis. I know you cannot store them like that (or in the stuff sacks for that matter) - but is there any "down side" to compressing my down items while packing them?

Thanks for any feedback.

Tom

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    From the Clark sub-forum just a few day ago:

Quote Originally Posted by sinthome View Post
    obviously everyone has their own way of doing things, but here are two things i am stoked on that you might find worthwhile--

<snip>
    2) i also was inspired by another hammock forum member by the name of jackleberry, who made a giant-sized black bishop bag that fits his whole entire kit in it, so your camp pops out like a prefab miracle unicorn of happy sleepytime. well, i didn't think it would be possible, since i use a large 0deg bag, z-liner insulation panels and the clark is already more material than most hammocks. i currently take the time to stuff the bag and the hammock into their individual 15l sea to summit event compression sacks. the more i think about it the more i hate the tedium of stuffing compression sacks and it can also be hard on your gear if you make it a tight fit. together, i can barely cram the two into the sleeping bag compartment of my osprey backpack. but this is what i have been doing. until now! check this shiz: http://www.backcountryedge.com/exped...tributeID=3259
    the medium size fits my whole kit and shrinks down to the exact dimensions of the sleeping bag compartment of my pack (it is more malleable than a tight packed compression sack, so you just shape it a bit by smacking it around to fit whatever space you need).

i don't claim these two tips will work for everyone, but it has effectively reduced my setup time to 30 secs and my packup time to well under 5 mins.

Hammock
    Warbonnet(s)
    Tarp
    situational
    Insulation
    Love+down+IX
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by team FTB View Post
    I was interested in trying this idea. Does anybody know of a source of Bishop bags in sizes big enough for this method? I have a WBBB 1.0 double layer, Leigh 2/3 summer UQ, and an Enlightened 40F down TQ. If there are no sources for the ready made Bishop bags, what measurements should I use to make a Bishop bag in order for the above set-up fit?
    I was planning on putting up a pattern for this once I make a couple more of them this week. The prototype I made last year has held up so well, that I have yet to make another, but now that I have more hammocks, I need more bags.

Rough dimensions are 25.5-26" x 31.5". The side that is 31.5" is the folded side that forms the circular opening, providing a circumference of just under 10" with hemming for seams, etc. I attach three straps around the circumference and one longitudinally for compression, along with an exterior pocket for suspension/straps. Hopefully this gives you an idea to work with. This sack allows for a 1.7 dbl layer WBBB, a 0 degree incubator and a 25 degree Western Mountaineering sleeping bag to stuff in with little fuss, and then compress down small with the straps to fit in the bottom of my pack. YMMV.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    here's how i do it, pack up starts at 1:40

__bob__

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbebee View Post
    Does anyone use compressions sacks for packing your down items on a reqular basis. I know you cannot store them like that (or in the stuff sacks for that matter) - but is there any "down side" to compressing my down items while packing them?

Thanks for any feedback.

Tom
    i used compression sacks for 60 days straight and saw no negatives. quilts were getting me to zero degrees and they are still great after 3 years(both JRB's). i cut back on gear so now i don't use them. my reasons were weight, time to pack and hard to do with mittens on.
    KK
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama Man View Post
    Steeler Nation, Thanks for doing the video. You did a great job. I will check out the rest of your videos as well. I am a noob to hammocking, just starting out. I appreciate all the time and effort everyone else puts forth to help us new guys. Thanks again.
    Thanks for the nice words - appreciate it! I notice that you're in my neck of the woods and I've been thinking about trying to hit the Talladega National Forest in the near future to check it out. Maybe we can put together a group hang

SN
    Please visit my AmJustDuane YouTube channel

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast