Question Recommendation for daughter's hammock for backpacking (She's 10)

Ok guys, I'm looking for a recommendation for suitable hammocks for my daughter. You guys often know a bunch of gems that I missed on my own looking, so I thought I'd throw this out there.

We are in NY, so we often have chilly nights. I'd prefer a double bottom, but that's not mandatory as we just have to do insulation a little differently with a single bottom. A bug net is however mandatory up here, unless you want to feed the local wildlife. I'm fine with an external bug sock or a fixed bug netting type hammock.

The wife and I have DD Frontline hammocks, which are great overall. Nice bug netting and double bottom. They aren't really that lightweight, but they're not too bad all things considered. They are massive for my daughter though.

I'm considering the DD Cadet/Scout hammock, as it's fairly inexpensive ($35 shipped from the UK), and then sewing on a bugnet myself. It is already a double bottom, and made a little shorter than a regular hammock so it's a little lighter.

Anyway, I'm open to ideas and suggestions, please help me find a solution for her - otherwise I'll be wrapped up in my poncho/bivy on the ground and she'll be snug in my hammock. I don't mind her taking my hammock, but I don't want to sleep on the ground! Thanks for the help everybody!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    If you can sew, why not make a DIY double layer yourself so you can make it whatever color she wants and such?

Hammock
    the travle hammock/eno dn
    Tarp
    hennesey asym
    Insulation
    underquilt
    Suspension
    ring buckle/woopie
    second that

I didn't say I could sew well... consider my sewing more as "survival sewing". It's crude, ugly and barely able to be called sewing.

I thought about doing a full DIY for her, but it might come out kinda scary. That's why I was considering starting with something close like the DD Cadet/Scout and then modding it.

The Mosquito hammocks has their basic model, double bottom with netting for 1.5lbs. That's not too bad, has the features I want at a decent weight/cost. I don't have any experience with those, but I've heard many people talk favorably about them. The Mosquito hammocks are Claytor hammocks right, same thing?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    That is correct. Almost got my wife's from them.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I picked up a secondhand HH expedition here on the forum for my 7yr old son. Yes, it's huge for him right now but as long as it doesn't get destroyed it will last him for years. This is also my "loaner" for folks I'm trying to convert to hammocking (that's why I added the 2QZQ zipper).

I'm just not a fan of buying "kid size" stuff unless it's really a fit issue (pack, sleeping bag etc). The weight savings are pretty marginal but they cost nearly the same. Actually on the HH site it shows the scout model weighing an ounce more than the expedition, strange.

My 11 Year old son sleeps full time in an Eno single. We use a bug sock when we hike. It is not massive but will last for several years before he out grows it.

I did a DIY bug sock but they are available from several sources here.

• + New Posts