WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness

Mist and fog, down getting damp

What do folks use to combat the effects of mist and fog drifting through your setup and getting your downy kit damp?

Last weekend when I was doing some canoe training our last day/night was enveloped in a thick fog, luckily it was the last night of the trip but if it had been any longer then eventually my quilts would have been pretty wet.

I use a ripstop weather shield underneath which helped a bunch but what else can I try? My BB seemed to catch a lot of it, the 1.1 panel under the mossie net was getting very damp and felt cold to the touch.

I had my doors on my SF completely closed off but it didn't have much effect, sitting in my hammock with the headtorch on I could see the fine vapour drifting by.

I don't really fancy the idea of a top shield as I like to be able to see out, any other options?

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Why not a partial top-shield? Or a simple piece of DWR to cover your top quilt?

My first cover/weather shield was a piece of 1.1 DWR ripstop I kept in place with safety pins... You could set it up to cover the bottom half of your BB...

I've never been in fog that heavy, though...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Well it's not vapor it's condensate. I really doubt any amount of DWR is going to protect your down in those conditions. Commonly, fog is the worst possible condition for keeping anything dry. Fog creeps into every nook & cranny. As soon as you take out your down and fluff it the fog has already penetrated. (down expands, creates low pressure zone inside quilt, moist air outside moves in to equalize pressure, your down is already wet) once you lay on it and heat that air inside up the water begins to fall outta the air like rain, inside your quilt, and the DWR just holds it in there.

That's how I understand it anyway. It sure seems like if you live an area with extra fog or are visiting an area known for it's fog you should suck it up and carry those synth quilts. If you're out and experience extreme fog, with only your down insulation, hope it clears up and the sun comes out so you can dry your stuff off.

Trying to keep the fog out is a battle you can't win.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Now you know why I'm considering a synthetic quilt set. ;-) The only other option I know of is a wood stove to heat the area under the tarp as in winter camping. At least I've seen it work in boats and big tents. ;-)

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    JRB Weather Shield moded DDPs are breathable yet waterproof and when around a UQ or TQ do not allow for any fog / mist to get to quilts...

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DriDucksPoncho.htm... scroll down.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    What do folks use to combat the effects of mist and fog drifting through your setup and getting your downy kit damp?

Last weekend when I was doing some canoe training our last day/night was enveloped in a thick fog, luckily it was the last night of the trip but if it had been any longer then eventually my quilts would have been pretty wet.

I use a ripstop weather shield underneath which helped a bunch but what else can I try? My BB seemed to catch a lot of it, the 1.1 panel under the mossie net was getting very damp and felt cold to the touch.

I had my doors on my SF completely closed off but it didn't have much effect, sitting in my hammock with the headtorch on I could see the fine vapour drifting by.

I don't really fancy the idea of a top shield as I like to be able to see out, any other options?
    Stopping it all probably is impossible but like the Breathable UQP provides a surface for it to collect on, protecting what's inside, a top cover of some sort would do the same thing. Since you have a BB the Arrowhead BBO cover should do the trick or just draping anything over your hammock's RL should help.
    I really wish Arrowhead or 2QZQ would offer a breathable top cover for those of us that do not use a warbonnet BB.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I pull the tarp all the way down until it's touching the ground. Should be easy to try with your Superfly. Close the doors tight.

S

If it is that foggy and wet it will be impossible to keep any thing dry. I have been out in that type weather a lot and even high end Patagonia rain gear will not keep you dry. The air that damp will get into any thing that is not sealed 100% air tight. A synthetic bag will get wet too but will keep you warmer I would think than a wet down bag would.

Jason

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Had that happen two nights in a row at the HHHNGNGHHH last weekend. I used a cast off Crazy Creek Crib hammock as an undercover and pulled the tarp close and it worked OK.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Burn a couple of candles under the tarp if it's not windy, which it's usually not if it's foggy. It's amazing how much heat is put out and it may be just enough to lower the condensation.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast