Two Bridges for Side-Sleeping

Hi, new here, never tried a hammock before, been a ground-dweller since the early '70s.

I do know that regular GE hammocks don't work for me: I've tried napping in them when car-camping and as a side-sleeper, they bend me the wrong way.

I've spent the past couple days poring through the various posts here and I'm clear that if I want to sleep comfortably, I do need a flat surface. (The suggested tricks, like trying to sleep on my back with a pillow under my knees, or curling into a fetal position, don't work. In the former, I snore, and curling up ain't natural, no sir, I just don't like it.

I sleep with my legs close to straightened out, one pretty much atop the other, and at 62 years of age, that's the way I'm-a gonna do it, by gum.

Anyway, I see two bridge hammocks that get a lot of mention: The Eureka Chrysalis and the JRB BMBH. The former is wider, I read, but pretty heavy. Some say the latter is narrow? It might be confining (I'm 66'' tall, 175 lbs). Neither is inexpensive.

So, calling all side-sleepers who have used these hammocks: do either of these hammocks work for you?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jackelliott View Post
    Hi, new here, never tried a hammock before, been a ground-dweller since the early '70s.

I do know that regular GE hammocks don't work for me: I've tried napping in them when car-camping and as a side-sleeper, they bend me the wrong way.

I've spent the past couple days poring through the various posts here and I'm clear that if I want to sleep comfortably, I do need a flat surface. (The suggested tricks, like trying to sleep on my back with a pillow under my knees, or curling into a fetal position, don't work. In the former, I snore, and curling up ain't natural, no sir, I just don't like it.

I sleep with my legs close to straightened out, one pretty much atop the other, and at 62 years of age, that's the way I'm-a gonna do it, by gum.

Anyway, I see two bridge hammocks that get a lot of mention: The Eureka Chrysalis and the JRB BMBH. The former is wider, I read, but pretty heavy. Some say the latter is narrow? It might be confining (I'm 66'' tall, 175 lbs). Neither is inexpensive.

So, calling all side-sleepers who have used these hammocks: do either of these hammocks work for you?
    The JRB BMBH ought to be perfect for you. The only way to improve upon it for someone your dimensions who side-sleeps would be if it were lighter. You can easily shed some ounces swapping out the webbing suspension for cord.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Images
    I am very happy with a JRB bridge, but I am only 6'1". At 6'6", you will really be pushing it. JRB says it is for "up to 6'3"". Still might work though.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    BB--OP says 66", in my book 5' 6"

That foot would make a big difference in comfort
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post

That metric stuff throws me off every time!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post

In your book? Can you rephrase that? I'm still a bit jet lagged from my 12 hour flight back from Israel. ( that's my excuse anyway! )

Oh, never mind, I see--- not 6 foot 6", he said 66". Got it!

Well then, he is going to have tons of room!

I have the jrb and am close to 6'2 and sleep like u do. Definately the best hammock for sleepers like us that i have found so far. They just need to got on a diet and get lighter like grizzes. Id also like to see three section poles instead of two so its more packable. I like compactness when its all in the stuff sack.

Forgot to mention, add a good 25 inch wide pad in the sleeve, and it virtually illeminates any shoulder squeeze, at least it did for me.

• + New Posts