Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UK Hammocks 3/4
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings

Non-modded sleeping bag

Hi guys!

My first hanging trip is coming up, and I seem to have a little problem. So far I have only spent one night in my DD Frontline hammock, and some time in the backyard, but I couldn't get as comfy during the night. The main reason for this is that I used a inflatable pad during the night, but in the garden I didn't have any insulation at all. So this got me thinking of an UQ again. But I got an ever present problem with funds...

So, here comes the topic related question, can I use a sleeping bag as an UQ? A permanent conversion is not an option as my wife is using that sleeping bag at other times My thought here is to open the bag as much as possible and then try to tie it to the hammock somehow.

Has this been tested by someone? I tried to search the forum for a thread about this, but didn't find anything.

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    If you are looking at mild temps a blue foam pad will work as an underquilt or some Reflectives which can be bought at a Lowes or Home Depot (home improvement store) both of these options will work better than the air mattress ! The thermarest only works for me when the air is let completely out! You may want to throw a small fleece blanket over the pad or Reflectives because they tend to acquire condensation. The padding under laminate flooring makes a good vapor barrier also and can be rigged up under your hammock with duct tape and bungie string, just like an UQ ! I hope this helps .
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UK Hammocks 3/4
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Thanks! Well, those stores are not an option for me as I live in Sweden But I'll give my foam pad another try. I just bought a space blanket to use in my hammock, do you really think that and a fleece blanket would be enough? The temps I'm looking at will be low 40ºF and up, I would say.

The foam for floor padding... Hm, that's interesting... Is that what has been discussed in the IX (insultex) thread as an more obtainable option?

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UK Hammocks 3/4
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    I found a thread about my inital query: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=38978. Better late than never. I'll see what I can do with my bag as it cannot open all the way. But it should be possible to use it somehow, I think.

And I'll give the space + fleece blanket a try. Seems a bit chilly, but it's worth a test

Hammock
    DIY DL gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11 ft cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY down diff cut
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Omnes-
    I am in a similar position. I've noticed that sleeping bags work but not if you try to use them like you might use them in a tent or on the ground. It is just too difficult to try to lay it out in the hammock nice and flat, then climb into it and zip it up. But if you only leave the bottom of the bag zipped, say from just above your knees on down, it is much easier to get into. Lay it in the hammock first down at the foot of the hammock. Climb into the hammock and then pull the bag up around you and settle your feet into the "foot box". Now you can wrap the top part around your shoulders and tuck them behind you. This is an improvised top quilt.
    The big down size is that unless it is a mummy style bag, the bottom of the bag is overly floppy and sometimes pulls the bag a little off to one side or the other.
    Check at the end of this post- http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=57554
    for a mod I used to keep my bag from unzipping on me when I was using it as a top quilt. It was easy to sew the loop to the bag and did not affect the insulation at all. The photo is at the end of my post.
    Hope this helps
    -Sarge

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    When I first started, I used a mummy as a temp uq. If you larkshead some shock cord at the corners, it will hold well enough without any sewing for cutting. It won't fit perfectly so it may be drafty though.

I used 3 lines at the head end and 2 at the foot end. Kept the sides fairly tight. The key is to make it snug but not so tight you can't lay on the diagonal. Took some playing. This got me through a few 45 degree nights no problem.

How cold of temps are you going to encounter? I would also recommend a closed cell foam pad (like the blue walmart pads about $5.00-$8.00).

You could also try using your sleeping bag as a sort of peapod. Check out the setups pictured on Jeff's page: http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCam...m.html#Pull-up
    I feel rectangular bags are better for this, you could probably rig one up with no modification or at most a little non-permanent modification. You could tie up one end slightly unzipped to allow the hammock to pass through, if it makes the bag drafty stuff extra clothes around the opening before going to sleep.

The UQ option is also an option, perhaps just more rigging and more setup time. I've heard some experts on here talk about shock cord and clothes pins for this. I'm sure if you put your mind to it it could be done.

Since I do not hammock camp on 100% of my trips (yet) and I'm usually on a limited budget I try to use as versatile equipment as possible. I have used a mummy bag with a 3/4 length closed cell foam pad even into late fall and found it adequate. Usually put my feet into the bag zipped and then use the rest of the bag open draped over my top and sides- my back is insulated by the pad only. In colder weather I get in the bag.

Hammock
    DIY tableclothsfactory
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I have used a sleeping bag as a pea pod like Silverfoot stated. It was a mummy bag and worked great, (I was cold so it worked great ). Could not get as much of a flat lay as I like. I would suggest the blue foam and a sleeping bag opened 3/4 of the way as a top quilt like others have stated. Good luck with your efforts, I know how hard it is equipping with a very limited budget.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UK Hammocks 3/4
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Thanks guys! I'll give it a go again
    I've done some experimenting with a wool blanket as well, but it's just not as toasty as my down bag...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hej Omnes,

I've used a foam pad (Biltemas cheap thing) in the DD hammock - works well enough, but will never be as comfy as an UQ. I see no reason whatsoever why a sleeping bag couldn't be rigged for a couple of nights as an UQ to test it out. I was planning on doing just that, when I came across the snugpak UQ on DD:s own website - too cheap not to try I thought. This I now use with mu WBBB.

It doesn't have to be a perfect fit to just try it out, and I'm sure that with a bit of ingenuity, patience and a lot of string, you'll have a sleeping bag fitting snugly and you can get the feel for how it is to use an UQ. My first (theoretical) plan of attack was to tie the open end up as a gathered-end hammock, and then just hang it up on the suspension in both ends as close as possible to the hammock. I got the UQ before trying it though, so I don't know what problems it would bring. If it wouldn't work, a string that ties both corners up should work fine, and if needed bunching up the middle and tying a third string around it should take care of any gap.

Lycka till!
    Last edited by K0m4; 08-22-2012 at 10:26.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast