Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hammock recs for long-term stationary camping?

Hey all,

Forum newbie here (hi!) looking for some last-minute advice.

I'll be heading off to do a farm internship in rural Australia in a couple weeks, and will be camping out for ten weeks on the property to do so. Unfortunately I flogged all my camping gear last year during a move overseas, so I have to get new stuff for the trip.

Not a huge fan of tents (all that bending over, crawling about, and hiding in cramped spaces just ain't really my thing - much prefer high, open places), so I was just going to buy something cheap online and get by how I could...until a few days ago I remembered my first hammock camping experience last autumn in the mountains outside Tokyo. Used my friend's old HH Expedition (or Scout?) and had an awesome time, excepting a bit of cold butt syndrome at night (didn't use a pad or UQ, and probably shouldn't have set up right next to running water). Have been flurrying to research hammocks since and stumbled across the amazing resource that is this site.

I've read a lot of info here (including the newbie hammock setup thread) and watched a bunch of youtube videos, and I think I'm getting close to a decision, but I wanted to ask y'all's opinions first if I could, since (1) hammock tech seems to be evolving extremely rapidly, so I don't know to what degree reviews and such from a couple years back are already obsolete, and (2) I haven't seen many comments about using a hammock as a stationary set-up for an extended period of time.

My constraints are:
    -Durability and relative comfort (break-down mid-stay would be unpleasant)
    -Warm down to 40-50 degrees at night deeper into the Oz autumn (w/ relatively cold sleeper)
    -Probable mosquitos
    -Comfort for hanging around (e.g. doubling easily as a chair)
    -Not exactly an ultralight hiker, but prefer lower weight/bulk if possible
    -Some kind of stuff storage solution would be nice -- one place I can foresee a tent being more useful than a hammock when staying put in one place for a long time is that you can take your gear out of your bag and spread it around inside the tent so you don't have to live out of a bag for 2.5 months
    -(Less important/optional) Possibly some privacy (there'll be other interns around the same campsite)
    -I don't mind spending a few hundred bucks if it's an investment I'm going to enjoy for a long time...but $400-500+ starts to get a bit steep for me
    -Not a lot of time before I have to leave - order/delivery needs to be reasonably quick and/or DIY things reasonably simple

Other info:
    -Have okay sleeping bag (a bit old - probably 3 season?)
    -5'8", 175 lbs, no particular issues with sleeping position comfort as long as I'm warm
    -Have an open 13'x8' platform w/ roof at campsite if I feel like using it, but not required to

I was initially thinking about an HH Expedition with the SuperShelter thing, since it was closest to what I had experience with, but as I read around, I started leaning towards the WBBB double (lots of good reviews; like the storage shelf thing; like the built-in pad space; but have to get tarp and pad separately - though that flexibility may be good?) or the Clark NX-150 (seems to come with most things already; love the multitude of storage pockets; think weathershield cover thing might be nice for a newbie cold sleeper; but expensive, probably still need a pad, and I can't decide if I think it's slightly goofy-looking or not).

What do y'all think? Would greatly appreciate any advice on setups (hammocks, tarps, pads...probably can't afford UQ at this point), or other considerations for hammocking in one place for a long period of time.

Cheers & thanks,
    Figs

The WBBB is definitely a nice hammock. Bug net and chair mode included. The shelf is useful but a little over rated, IMHO. I do use it but it is not a deal breaker for me. Ridge line organizers can add even more storage. It is possible to hang two hammocks side by side under one tarp. One for you, one (cheap)for your stuff.

A lot of people on here sleep full time in a hammock. My son has been sleeping in his for about 5 months now, but inside only. I would think that staying in one place for 2.5 months in any kind of camping gear would get old but you will sleep better in a hammock. The environmentally sensitive will advise you to move trees from time to time to prevent damage, your call.

Privacy can be had by using a winter tarp with doors pulled shut. More $$$ and heavier but you said weight was not that big of a concern. Make sure you have side pullouts or poll mod for more room.

You will need bottom insulation of some kind. You could go with a synthetic UQ for less $$$. A cheap pad would work fine for the temp range you will be in.
    Slave to modern society....for now

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Some of these thoughts are close to mine, so I quoted !wrass! instead of the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by !wrass! View Post
    The WBBB is definitely a nice hammock. Bug net and chair mode included. The shelf is useful but a little over rated, IMHO. I do use it but it is not a deal breaker for me. Ridge line organizers can add even more storage. It is possible to hang two hammocks side by side under one tarp. One for you, one (cheap)for your stuff.

You could check with Papasmurf also from Dream Hammocks to see what his wait time is and maybe look at a Dangerbird.

A lot of people on here sleep full time in a hammock. My son has been sleeping in his for about 5 months now, but inside only. I would think that staying in one place for 2.5 months in any kind of camping gear would get old but you will sleep better in a hammock. The environmentally sensitive will advise you to move trees from time to time to prevent damage, your call.

I'm still new myself but maybe wider/thicker straps and making sure you tarp ridgeline in on the strap and not the tree?

Privacy can be had by using a winter tarp with doors pulled shut. More $$$ and heavier but you said weight was not that big of a concern. Make sure you have side pullouts or poll mod for more room.

I was going to suggest a winter tarp also. Something like an Old Man Winter from Wilderness Logics or something like a Mega Ogee from Gargoyle Gear if you don't want full doors.

You will need bottom insulation of some kind. You could go with a synthetic UQ for less $$$. A cheap pad would work fine for the temp range you will be in.

Possibly a Poncho Liner UQ? If not, is it possible to use your sleeping bag as a Pea Pod? You could look into something like a Jarbridge UQ from Arrowhead Equipment and a small pad under your feet.
    As I said, I'm new and just going with my gut on some of these things but I thought I'd give it a shot. Also, lots of pics. I'd love to see/hear how it all works out for you.

I use a pretty simple setup so I'm not up-to-date on all of the options. However, I think you could get by pretty well with a lower budget or DIY hammock with bug net, a large rectangular polyester tarp, and an old shower curtain on the ground to spread your stuff out on. You can drop the tarp down low in bad weather and up higher when you want more air. If you want more privacy then opt for a tarp with doors or rig up a door using a poncho or sheet of some sort since you are not really using it for storm protection. Another option for your stuff would be a cheap hammock hung beside or under your sleeping rig (like wrass said above).

Since you are going to setu just once and leave it I would focus on a rig that is useful and comfortable. This should also allow you to get by pretty cheap. The $$ goes up when you are looking for light weight, quick setup, and extreme weather protection.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    As a fulltime hanger one thing you'll probably want to do every couple of weeks is to give the hammock a wash. Having a hammock that can be disconnected and washed/rinsed easily would be a good idea. We all live with the 'hikers funk' for a weekend but any longer than that could get nasty. Unless the shed is crowded a pair of screw eyes or even straps would make a tarp unnecessary.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hi guys,
    Thanks for all the tips!

Good to hear that a big winter tarp can provide well for privacy as well as weather. Hadn't thought of putting a ground tarp/shower curtain out -or getting a cheap 2nd hammock (clever!)- for stuff storage. I like it! (Dunno if I want to go for a whole second hammock from the start, but will take the tip and try and figure out some combo of extra rope and sundry hangable bags for unpacking solutions.)

...Speaking of which, just had an awful realization moment where I remembered Australia is full of horrible poisonous things that may like to crawl in small spaces, and hence became a fair bit less attracted to the Clark's pockets. (Yeah, I know being off the ground should help a lot with that but still, bad imagination, bad.) So, definitely leaning WBBB at this point, though I'll be sure to check out dream hammocks and dangerbird.

Point taken about being nice to trees and moving around every once in a while too. (Might be nice to change the scenery up a bit too.)

Point also taken about hiker's funk/hammock stank. Will be sure to be vigilant for the sake of others. Heh. (Though the bonus of being stationary is real washroom facilities, which is nice.)

Re: screw eyes - I'm not sure if I'm allowed to screw anything into the shelter posts, but I've definitely thought about just strapping the hammock to them as it with webbing or tree straps. (I think they're 4x4s?) Would that work, or would there be sharp stress points at the corners?

Not sure about using the sleeping bag as a peapod...can I do that and still use the mosquito net, or would I have to make a choice between bugs and warmth? Thinking I maayyyy just suck it up and shell out for a UQ at this point. I do like sleep. (Normally I'd like to mess around with DIY options like the poncho liner, but I fear I'll only have a day or two between arrival of hammock in mail and departure date at this point - bit tight for experimenting and testing.)

(...Random additional question - is there any reason not to use camping hammocks further up a tree, e.g. if tree climbing? Obviously would have to be careful not to fall out, but I'm intrigued at the possibilities.)

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Spend your good money on a UQ/TQ and a tarp. A DIY hammock can be had quick and so can bug netting. You may even find someone to sew it for you provided its quick and easy without super complicated extras.

As far as height, some folks do it and love it. I like to stay closer to the ground.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I don't think that durability would be a problem with any hammock, unless you do something stupid. If I were you, I'd go with a netted hammock in Australia, and maybe treat it with Permetrin to be on the safe side. I own a WBBB myself and have been very happy with it. Used a 1.7 DL stationary for 4 months in the garden to prepare for a 6-month New Zealand trip with no problems. But I opted to take a 1.0 DL for the trip itself. Both hammocks held up fine.

With regards to the tarp, I used an old Superfly without doors, and found it more than adequate in the fairly mild NZ weather. If the area where you are going is very wet, go for a larger tarp.

If you still have money after shelling out for a hammock and a tarp, go for an underquilt. You can use a pad, but an underquilt is easier to use (no cold shoulders). If you already have a good sleeping bag, use that first. Especially if weight is not a problem. The only reason why I would use a top quilt would be to save weight. In all other respects, I find a sleeping bag superior (but I'm a *very* cold sleeper).

Since you said you will be stationary, my recommendation would be to either buy a cheap tent in Australia, or bring a small one with you. I travelled with my hammock and a light Tarptent, since I couldn't be sure that I would always get a hanging spot, and I wasn't sorry for this decision. My cycle panniers and stuff went into the tent (out of sight, out of mind), and at night I slept in the hammock, whenever I found a place to hang it.

Brisbane, Great Southern Land (Australia)
    Quote Originally Posted by figs View Post
    I'll be heading off to do a farm internship in rural Australia in a couple weeks, and will be camping out for ten weeks on the property to do so.
    You don't say where in Aust you will be and that makes it a bit difficult to offer advice. Some places in Aust have the fastest dogs in the world because it is so far between trees. A site like http://www.exploroz.com/Places/Weath...&t=Halls+Creek
    is a good place to find out some weather info. That site is just an example; go up one level and find somewhere close to where you are going. Don't forget Google Earth for a look at the ground and get an idea about vegetation (trees). I would also ask someone at your host station about the suitability of a hammock for camping. They will likely laugh but persist with the questions. Aussies working in the bush traditionally use a swag but the latest variations are getting to look a hammock on the ground. I'm a bit of a sook and typically sleep on a stretcher in a sleeping bag but for a planned trip to the Northern Territory later in the year, I have a HH Asym and the bigger Hex Tarp. I'm expecting mins of around 16 and max in the range up to 32 and no rain. I will sleep in a track suit, socks, and a couple of fluffy jumpers rather than worry about an UQ.

Couple of things, tie your shoes up off the ground at night. Dingos love shoes, I know of a bloke who lost a pillow from under his head one night, cheeky buggers! Have a bug net, OK? If there are few mossies at night, there will be 10 million flies during the day and if you go for a nap, you will love the bug net. Bug nets also provide a bit of protection from the Drop Bears too. When you choose a hang spot, look up. Aussie trees drop limbs and kill silly people every year. If you are going to be in central Aust, everything will go home stained red. It just will, OK. Most campers have a mat made out of doubled shade cloth to stand on, the dust falls through and you just give it a shake several times a day.

Last one, Koalas are not bears, they are marsupials and they are not cute and cuddly, they piss and scratch and will mess you up if you try to pick one up.

Ticklebelly

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Good idea to hose down the hammock every now and then too

• + New Posts