Beginning my hammock setup

(if i put this in the wrong forum, i apologize)

This will be sort of my 'build' thread =] i'm sure there's nothing new people haven't seen, but i'd like to keep track and get input, of course.

Since joining, I've purchased a black/red ENO DoubleNest to replace my orange/purple TTTM single (wish they had other colors when i bought it, but it worked) =]

Today i've ordered:
    - 4 SMC Rings
    - 2 Nano Biners
    - set of 2 toggles
    - set of 8' tree huggers

About to order:
    - set of 2 - 10in amsteel loops
    - set of 2 whoopie slings
    - set of 2 - 2' amsteel extensions
    - adjustable ridgeline
    - 30' tarp line with the dutch hardware and prusiks for tarp mounting
    - a few other misc. items, so i can try different setups

very excited to get this stuff together and have a go. hoping to get a dry run in before the hang event in a couple weekends.

my plan is to replace the OEM cord on my ENO DN with the 10in loops. then i'll larks head the rings on, i wanted to be able to easily change my setup. i'm planning to put two rings on either side, this way i have the option to just run the tree huggers through the rings if i don't need much length. from here i'll have the option to attach the whoopies or extensions directly to the rings and the straps, with the toggles.

i may have gone overkill with all the stuff i'm ordering, but i'm really wanting to have some options, and i like to have backups, especially when most of this stuff is so light.

Next step is tarp. honestly, thus far, i've used a big blue tarp i got at walmart. =/ it works, keeps me dry, but is a pain to hang. i intend to move to something like a MacCat at some point, but for now im looking for cheap and will probably go with this guide gear tarp for now, until i make a decision. i figure its cheap and works, and i'll have a backup as well. maybe it'll be a good starting point to then do a DIY tarp. who knows.

if you have any suggestions of things to try or 'make sure and do' with my gear and whatnot, do tell. also, if you know of another similar CHEAP starter tarp, do suggest. but its probably hard to beat $30. ha.

I ended up getting my suspension order in before the hang i attended this weekend. everything worked great! thanks to Nick @ Now Outdoors

I also ended up grabbing the kelty noah 12 and a pack of 8 ground hog stakes. the tarp was a great size, other than when trying to fold it myself. lol it has many available tie-outs and kept me dry, couldn't have asked for more. (other than packing itself) the only thing i was missing was a couple extra tarp tie-outs (only came with 4) i ended up making some temporary ones out of some extra cord i had. i'll probably replace those with reflective cord, as i tripped over the black cord several times... all-in-all a great tarp, didn't have any leaks

At this point, it may be time to start on the DIYing. I don't have top/under quilts yet, so I ended up using a 30-degree slumberjack mummy bag. it worked ok, but it was a little cold, until I put my fleece jacket on. the temps got down into the 40/50s the first night and the 50/60s the second, I believe. luckily, i didn't have a problem with bugs, as i had no net either.

The big items on my list are:
    - Bug net (liking the simplicity of the fronkey design)
    - Under-quilt (may go the poncho liner route, with additional insulation between layers, would like at least a 3-season use)
    - top quilt (hoping to replace my big, heavy mummy bag with a lighter T/U-quilt system)
    - multi-purpose ground mat/gear sling/pack cover/camp seat (saw an interesting design at the hang, this could potentially also be a splash guard under an under quilt if need be, i believe. this would most likely be used as a ground mat/gear sling mostly)

Some nice-to-have items:
    - tarp mesh snake skins (though, i'm not sure my tarp stuffs well, as i can fold it to about 1/3 of its stuff size)
    - hammock snake skins (or something like a bishop bag) (it would be nice to pack the hammock and bug-net together)

• + New Posts