Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 4D's View Post
    I keep thinking about the make up of a resister.

Then i visualize a hammock between two trees....

The things that make you go Bzzzzzztttttt?

Glad your ok Neo.

Sure enough.
    Just hangin' around.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Hey Shadow,
    What piece of equipment are you describing? Is this something that someone manufactures? Or is this something home made?

It sounds like it is about the same weight as a Speer type hammock. So this is a ground cloth, plus bath tub floor plus bug net, at 18 oz?
    Disclaimer: This is a ground-dwelling setup

I'm talking about a Gatewood Cape from Six Moons Designs. I'm probably going to get it to use as my top rain layer since it will keep the shoulder straps and waist belt dry too. It is used by ultra-lite folks cause it can be pitched as a shaped tarp tent using your hiking pole to hold it up. They, SMD, have now come out with a bugnet/floor setup to pitch under it which makes it a double walled tent for one person for 18 oz. It is also your rain cape. For me, I would only consider it emergency shelter in treeless situations, but with the bug net/floor only weighing in at an extra 7 oz it might be worth it... I'm definitely not ultra-lite, and I've not done any distance hiking, but I like the idea of a cape as rain gear.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=45
    http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/s...sp?id=55&bc=no

To get back on topic, neo, I'm glad you came out ok, and that you enjoyed the storm.

edited to add: Doh! you used GC to mean ground cloth, and to me GC is Gatewood Cape. That might explain why we weren't understanding each other. I thought you meant using a Gatewood Cape as a floorless tarp shelter, which is what it is by itself. sigh.
    Last edited by Shadowmoss; 07-16-2008 at 21:30. Reason: doh!
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post

edited to add: Doh! you used GC to mean ground cloth, and to me GC is Gatewood Cape. That might explain why we weren't understanding each other. I thought you meant using a Gatewood Cape as a floorless tarp shelter, which is what it is by itself. sigh.
    Doh! on this end for sure! Thanks for the info and clarifying, SM! I may look into this GC ( as in CAPE, not the ground cloth! )

Hammock
    claytor jungle, warbonnet BB
    Insulation
    new river+insultex

Question stock Claytor vs rain sheet

That is what I am debating now, as I get ready for the 10 day BWCAW trip with boy scouts. I was thinking the new and untried rain sheet 3x4 meters would be the safe bet if we have some prolonged rain. Heck, the whole crew could probably play cards under it in a storm.....but after your experience, I wonder if the stock tarp might be enough.....and the smaller size/weight the greater benefit......what sayest thou neo, and any others with both rigs and more experience than I?

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    I will suggest you take the bigger tarp since you will be in a canoe and the difference in weight and size is not going to have a big impact. If you were only going for a weekend, I would stick with a stock tarp. 10 days in the BW.....you never know what weather may come your way.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    you never know what weather may come your way.

The general rule of thumb is "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute, it will change."
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wnnapddl View Post
    That is what I am debating now, as I get ready for the 10 day BWCAW trip with boy scouts. I was thinking the new and untried rain sheet 3x4 meters would be the safe bet if we have some prolonged rain. Heck, the whole crew could probably play cards under it in a storm.....but after your experience, I wonder if the stock tarp might be enough.....and the smaller size/weight the greater benefit......what sayest thou neo, and any others with both rigs and more experience than I?
    Since you are in a canoe and not backpacking, take the best coverage you can...4X3 m (I have one for sale )
    The coverage would be welcome when the rain hits for cooking, leisure or sleeping
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    Since you are in a canoe and not backpacking, take the best coverage you can...4X3 m (I have one for sale )
    The coverage would be welcome when the rain hits for cooking, leisure or sleeping
    the 3x4 meter tarp is 13 x 10 ft.its what i call my super tarpneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    claytor jungle, warbonnet BB
    Insulation
    new river+insultex
    We will be backpacking in a way...as we will make 25-35 portages over land during the 10 days. I did set up and sleep under the 3x4 meter tarp last night, and slept in embarrassingly late....it's quite dark under there in the woods!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wnnapddl View Post
    We will be backpacking in a way...as we will make 25-35 portages over land during the 10 days. I did set up and sleep under the 3x4 meter tarp last night, and slept in embarrassingly late....it's quite dark under there in the woods!
    Been there, done that...both the tarps and in the BWCA. IMHO, in the BWCA, 35 portages or not, it would be worth the extra 1.5 lbs for the 4x3 tarp. If you were thru hiking the AT, no. But canoeing the BWCA, yes.
    Again, IMO, one of the limitations of hammocks is the lack of face to face space. In a downpour situation, and you will have these in the BWCA (unless you bribe God ), the boys will need the opportunity to do more than canoe/portage, huddle under a tarp to cook/eat and then retire to their hammocks for an extended evening. These larger tarps offer opportunities to interact (play) while enduring the weather.
    Again, just my .02. I'm jealous of you getting to go while I work!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast