Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Let's not forget the ever popular cinch buckles.
    http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.p...d=118&parent=4
    Who was the member who was gonna see about picking some up locally and selling them here?
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Cinch buckles have worked great for me, with zero slippage and quick easy adjustments, for about a year. And if you don't mind yellow ( I don't), you can get 15 feet of 1500 lb webbing dirt cheap from harbor freight. You will just have to cut the ratchet to get to the strap. But getting hold of the CBs is a bit of a hassle, what with minimum orders requirements and shipping.

They are great, but I do A-ok also with slightly lighter stock systems ( HH rope/huggers, Speer webbing with 4 wrap knot or 2 round turns and half hitch). But the buckles are a bit quicker, especially for readjustment. Those JRB triglides work pretty good also, and are a bit lighter than buckles.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-15-2008 at 16:45.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Rings for me. Specifically, SMC rings. They are some kind of alloy, super strong, super lightweight, and won't rust.

With either rings or buckles you are able to quickly strap your straps onto the trees, center, and adjust sag. With knots, you'll spend a lot of time fiddling.

Small weight penalty versus no rings, but its worth it to me, and ... no water in the hammock

the cinch buckle looks interesting. I dont know, but it looks like the rope gets threaded through it and it kind of distorts the "flow" of the rope, and so water doesnt run down. This is very interesting.

thanks

by the way, the new world order is the name given to the hi tech fascist state which is happening all over the world. Okay, I wont mention it on this hammock related part of the site anymore

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by exposetheNWO View Post
    the cinch buckle looks interesting. I dont know, but it looks like the rope gets threaded through it and it kind of distorts the "flow" of the rope, and so water doesnt run down. This is very interesting.

thanks

by the way, the new world order is the name given to the hi tech fascist state which is happening all over the world. Okay, I wont mention it on this hammock related part of the site anymore
    Webbing, not rope, gets threaded through the cinch buckle. Rope is on the other side of the buckle.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 07-14-2008 at 22:09.

gotta get down to the hardware place and see what they have

thanks for all the suggestions

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    for cinch buckles don't settle for something that looks good. Your butt is in the balance. Best go with the top drawer stuff weight rated and people tested. The rings may be a little more forgiving as they are usually weight rated. Some of us are using pretty cheap rings without any problem ( <$1 from wally world and other places) but I wouldn't trust a cinch buckly that didn't have a weight rating.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by exposetheNWO View Post
    gotta get down to the hardware place and see what they have

thanks for all the suggestions
    They probably wont have cinch buckles that nice. Folks around here have been looking for some as good or better but with no luck as far as I know. The cinch buckles dont give a weight limit rating but are rated for life support. You could just buy some heavy steel 1" diameter rings from the hardware store but I'd get the tried and true cinch buckles.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    &quot;Sto&quot; Serape &amp; RRG
    Images
    as they say.. "grams to ounces"... or rather the other way around. Use the cheap wally's world stuff to figure what you want/need. But if you plan on hiking with it for more than a day at a time... fewer grams are worth a few bucks...

did some testing today...the "cinch" ring on the left failed miserably. It merely slowed the absortion down, but didnt stop it. It was the closest thing i could find to the cinch rings neo posted. The ring on the right works fine and is about 2 inches in diameter, made from stainless steel.

i dont think i will attach the ring to the hammock itself, as this will mean the ends of the hammock cant be flared open ....this will mean people cant use the hammock as a tent on the ground (its a jungle hammock)..so i think i will throw the rings in loose and people can use them as and when required. I am trying to work out how to put these pics in so they are big but I am only getting thumbnails.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast