ENO Doublenest; Claytor JH
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag; Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Buyers Remorse...?

My wife has been hounding me to go on a hiking trip for quite some time. I told her about a local hang coming up in April and she said she wanted in. I've been using an ENO DN w/ whoopee slings, ENO bug net and a WL tarp.

I had been interested in trying out another set up and I stumbled upon the Claytor Jungle Hammock. I've read so many great reviews I felt I had to get it. I pulled the trigger and purchased the hammock two nights ago and now I'm waiting on the rig to get here.

I've spent considerable hours on HF researching other, lighter rigs and now I'm concerned I made a mistake. I go hiking a lot and a lot of our trips are 30+ miles. I'm a gram weenie and I like to pack as light and compact as possible. I know I could lose the extra 3+ pounds around my midsection to lighten the load to make up for the weight of the hammock, but I'm just not that motivated to yet

I just wonder if I made a bad decision. I'm 5'7 @ 230#. I'm kind of built like Spongebob. Is this the hammock I've been looking for, or is there something that will better suit my needs? I plan on giving the ENO to my wife for car camping and lounging in the yard.

Thanks for your help!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Well, gram weenie and SpongeBob physique present some challenges. It's a fine balance between comfort and lightweight. I don't think you'll know if you made a mistake until you get it.

Many satisfied customers of the Claytor, Clark, and Dangerbird type hammocks - very robust design. If weight were taken out of the equation, any of these hammocks would be excellent. I want them all (but the wife is beginning to frown on my hammock accumulation).

Many people buy and flip hammocks - no reason you can't do the same. Claytor should have a good resale value on the forum (unlike my Hennessy, which I plan to keep). I've often thought that we could get a buying club - four people take equal shares in a given hammock product, each gets to spend time with it, and if one wanted to buy the other three out, party on Garth.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag; Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm probably worrying too much about the weight. At the end of the day it will be a bit lighter than my current setup. I'll just have to wait until the hammock gets here to figure out if I like it or not.

Senior Member backpackingZombie's Avatar
    Hammock
    DB 1.1
    Tarp
    CCS 8'x10'
    Insulation
    Arroyo & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies + toggles
    One of the most important items in your kit is your sleeping rig. So be that a tent or a hammock as long as it is comfy then you can account for whatever its negative aspects are (in this case weight) in other areas of your gear.

For me that item is my pack (5lbs), so I make up for that by literally levitating down the trail on good vibes and stories about B-Films.

But seriously, enjoy the hammock and don't have remorse until you have a reason for that. Much like Skip Bernet once wrote on the Surly Bike Blog:

If you think your bike looks good, it does.

If you like the way your bike rides, it’s an awesome bike.
    I think that applies to this situation as well Enjoy the hammock. Sleep well, sleep often.
    When it seems like the night will last forever
    And there's nothing left to do but count the years
    When the strings of my heart start to sever
    And stones fall from my eyes instead of tears
    I will walk alone by the black muddy river
    And dream me a dream of my own
    -Jerry

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag; Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by backpackingZombie View Post
    One of the most important items in your kit is your sleeping rig. So be that a tent or a hammock as long as it is comfy then you can account for whatever its negative aspects are (in this case weight) in other areas of your gear.

For me that item is my pack (5lbs), so I make up for that by literally levitating down the trail on good vibes and stories about B-Films.

But seriously, enjoy the hammock and don't have remorse until you have a reason for that. Much like Skip Bernet once wrote on the Surly Bike Blog:

I think that applies to this situation as well Enjoy the hammock. Sleep well, sleep often.
    Good call. I'll worry about it when it gets here. If anything I know my ENO works great and my wife will have an awesome rig for herself.

• + New Posts