BIAS WWM w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 & Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

Whoopie sling and biner confusion

When you can larks head the whoopie to the channel or whip lash the whoopie to the hammock why do people add a continuous loop and biner the whoopies?

Seems like adding complexity and weight for no reason, am I missing something? This also includes dutch hooks.

I like the dutch buckle that makes loads of sense to me and I bought them but I'm just trying to make sure there isn't some esoteric reason for the loop instead of the larks.

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I generally just larks head mine straight on and leave them. My daughters/family's are larks headed to the continuous loop for the simple reason that there are more hammocks than Whoopies and I can remove them without unthreading the channel. Biners would simplify the larks heading to the loops, but I kinda wanted to see what abuse the amsteel would take. I guess there could also be situations where the trees are too close to use the whoopies. If you had them attached to loops they could be removed and hang the loops to your buckle or toggle.
    It'll be alright Friday!

Check us out at www.buttinasling.com

[email protected]

Hammock
    BIAS WWM w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 & Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Gotcha, did some searching with that in mind: for anyone else wondering check this thread: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=44863 short suspension ideas

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl/Switchback
    Tarp
    MacCatDlx/Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE UQs+20burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle+Dutch
    So glad you posted this question today, as I was wondering something along the same lines (no pun intended). Of course, this is going to be moot this evening when I receive my JRB all-in-one system, but is the dutch biner too small to connect a larks headed whoopie on my hammock to the 1" tree strap sewn loop? Looking at videos online recently, it struck me that those biners are rather compact and may not allow me to connect the two directly. Not to crash your thread, but I thought it was a complementary topic.

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bobson View Post
    So glad you posted this question today, as I was wondering something along the same lines (no pun intended). Of course, this is going to be moot this evening when I receive my JRB all-in-one system, but is the dutch biner too small to connect a larks headed whoopie on my hammock to the 1" tree strap sewn loop? Looking at videos online recently, it struck me that those biners are rather compact and may not allow me to connect the two directly. Not to crash your thread, but I thought it was a complementary topic.
    The Dutch Biner that comes w/ the JRB is too small to connect to the webbing loop. It is (most) frequently used as pictured on the JRB site to connect the provided continuous loop to the adjustable end of whoopie, while the fixed loop of the whoopie is attached to the tree hugger. The added benefit of this is the biner provides a rain break on the suspension line. In the setup you described, you would need to larks head the continuous loop to the tree strap, then connect the loop to the larks headed whoopie using the biner. Of course, doing so removes the option of a short(er) hang as discussed in other threads.

That said, if short hangs are a concern then a MSH or Dutch Buckle are probably more appropriate for tree attachment, along w/ a continuous loop on the hammock.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl/Switchback
    Tarp
    MacCatDlx/Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE UQs+20burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle+Dutch

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mrcheviot View Post
    The Dutch Biner that comes w/ the JRB is too small to connect to the webbing loop. It is (most) frequently used as pictured on the JRB site to connect the provided continuous loop to the adjustable end of whoopie, while the fixed loop of the whoopie is attached to the tree hugger. The added benefit of this is the biner provides a rain break on the suspension line. In the setup you described, you would need to larks head the continuous loop to the tree strap, then connect the loop to the larks headed whoopie using the biner. Of course, doing so removes the option of a short(er) hang as discussed in other threads.

That said, if short hangs are a concern then a MSH or Dutch Buckle are probably more appropriate for tree attachment, along w/ a continuous loop on the hammock.
    Thanks very much for your quick and succinct response, mrcheviot!

Hammock
    BIAS WWM w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 & Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Yep, thats why I got the dutch buckle, guess when I'm making my whoopies I'll make a few loops too... I wonder if I couldn't attach both the whoopie and the loop at the same time so no fiddling. ie whoopie through channel and then larkshead loop below channel...

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Ok I think I'm following what you are asking but here is what I do and maby it will help hope it does. So I have a section of dynaglide with two locked brummels on each end which I use to whip my hammock. I use 6ft woopies with 4ft tree straps (about to down size to 1 2ft'er and 1 3ft'er strap). However I attach the dutch hook to the adjustable end of the woopie and larks head the dead eye end of the woopie to the tree strap. I wrap the strap around the tree and place strap through loop. If the strap is to short then the woopie wraps around the front of the tree never having to worry about a strap being to short (however I do suggest knowing the general width of the tree's in your area and use appropriately sized tree straps). Then I simply attach the loop to the dutch woopie hoop and wallah hammock hung. I do it this way for a few reason.

1. If it raining it allows me to first set up my tarp, attach tree straps and woopies to both trees, stand under neath tarp reach for woopie and set up hammock under tarp with out ever getting wet.

2. I can do the same when taking down the hammock in the rain as well as store my suspension system in a separate sack then I do my hammock so if they are wet or all covered in tree sap it keeps my hammock clean and dry.

3. I just find it fast and easy and this way I never have to worry about my straps being to short.

The only disadvantage that I see to this set up is that you have to be careful you do not leave your suspension on the tree. I also carry 1 extra dynaglide woopie along with a dutch biner just in case. I use the dutch biner for bear bagging as well as other general uses.

Hope all this helps and happy hanging.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

I think it comes down to whether you want a removable system, or a fixed one. I'm a "just-in-case" person so I love 'biners

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Putting backup cord to use

I had at one time some worry about 2.5mm Amsteel running in the channel. It seemed narrow. I was making soft shackles, which plump up the line, of course. So one hammock has soft shackles threaded through the channels. A waste of 4 feet of line, I suppose. Or, a pair of soft shackles I can retrieve for use elsewhere for some reason, some time.

On another hammock I threaded 2 foot continuous utility loops through the channels. Or doubled them over themselves twice until they were six inches long. So, the load is spread across four legs. And again, I can redo them if I my whoopie slings are too short, or if I lose one.

No strong feeling on this, but I'm using the spare shackles and loops I should otherwise be carrying anyway. I can always larks head directly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast