Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    Seems like there was a post a year or so back by someone riding the rails with a hammock. I don't know if he was homeless or had some place to land, but it was a way different hobo lifestyle. He seemed happy and stayed connected via libraries I guess.
    "To turn from this increasingly artificial and strangely alien world is to escape from unreality. To return to the timeless world of the mountains, the sea, the forest and the stars is to return to sanity and truth." --Robert Burnham Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by weird1 View Post
    You are making the assumption he did not choose this lifestyle. Granted few do, but it is still a possibility. I see that he has a hammock, a musical instrument, and was headed to a regular gathering to play the instrument. I am just saying.
    I must admit the guy seemed a very well balanced and happy individual and seemed to have quite a few friends within the circles he moved in. The only problem in an urban environment I suppose is keeping clean and fresh as you are mixing with the urbanites a lot of the time.

Images
    I spent two years in a tent pretty deep in the forest. I never intended on it but I just didn't want to leave.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    WL down uq
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Question guys if you seem to think 2 years in the same hammock is a long time what is the lifespan of a hammock with daily use ? I have been sleeping in my BB 14 months now and out of that close to 5 months is outside . I'm on my 3rd set of webbing straps but the hammock looks to be in great shape just how often should I be replacing a hammock that's slept in full-time ?
    Backpacking: An extended form of hiking in which people carry double the amount of gear they need for half the distance they planned to go in twice the time it should take. ~Author Unknown
    Big Joe

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Grand Trunk hammocks have a ten year warranty. I think two years should be no problem for a modern hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    Question guys if you seem to think 2 years in the same hammock is a long time what is the lifespan of a hammock with daily use ? I have been sleeping in my BB 14 months now and out of that close to 5 months is outside . I'm on my 3rd set of webbing straps but the hammock looks to be in great shape just how often should I be replacing a hammock that's slept in full-time ?
    I grew up in Manchester, NH. I think the "special air" in the White Mountains should help prolong the life of any hammock!

Really, I was wondering the same thing, but I guess it depends on the manufacturer and materials, and of course the user.

Hammock
    DH Night Hawk
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Doors
    Insulation
    HG 0F Incubator
    Suspension
    15'+12' Becket
    I'll hit the two year mark in a month and a half.

My Brazilian hammock has held up well. It looks like the fringe on the left hand side has been stepped through, creating a medium-sized tear. Other than that, it's only gotten better as it's aged. I can definitely feel the difference when I'm lying in it "the wrong way". Then again, I used to lie in it the opposite way in my old place (due to TV positioning in my bedroom), so I suppose it's fairly adaptable at that (or maybe I flipped it upside down!).

I'll keep my cozy hammockroom (I'm done using "bedroom")
    While I agree that "bedroom" is a misnomer, I wouldn't go so far as to call your sleeping room a "hammock room". This is because of the bed's dominance in the room. It's called a "bedroom" because the bed completely dominates the room. Everything in the room is centered around the bed, and the bed takes up so much space.

My room is different. I can take down my hammock with ease, and it's no larger than a folding chair in the corner, even with the underquilt and pillow.

Of course, I only do that about 1/3 of the time. The hammock usually stays up. It's easy for me to step over if I need to, or simply "walk through" to reach something on the other side. There are times when I unsling it though.

It does feel a little awkward calling my room a bedroom when there is, in fact, no bed. Then again, I call my bathroom a bathroom when there is, in fact, no bath.
    "This is the greatest wisdom—to seek the kingdom of heaven through contempt of the world." - Thomas à Kempis

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    My live-in girlfriend (Genuine Draft) would question that assumption big time.
    We each have our own hammocks strung-up in our bedroom, but there are several nights a week that one of them remains empty for the night. We sleep in large Brazilian hammocks at home and with a little practice, all things are possible, same as a bed. I'm just sayin....
    just sayin, South American Indians figured it out a very long time ago. ;-)

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    As far as hammock lifetime, my Hennessy has been in permanent woods location now since Jan 2010 with only a few setups and take downs for other location use. I would guess the long term average use is one night a week. I cant see any sign of use wear on the hammock except a couple of tiny snags on the bug net. The tarp (sylnylon), shows some weather wear, is dirty, (covered thick with oak pollen now) but there are no real wear areas or signs of any immanent leaks. The tarp is in about 80% shade. The bungee tie outs need replacing as they seem to be getting a little weak. So, it has maybe 6 mo. of sleep wear and over 2 years of weather wear. I had originally planned to wear pretty well and then get a Blackbird which would fit me a lot better. I see not wearing it pretty well is not going to happen except for the tarp. Short of outright abuse its pretty hard to wear out a good hammock.
    "To turn from this increasingly artificial and strangely alien world is to escape from unreality. To return to the timeless world of the mountains, the sea, the forest and the stars is to return to sanity and truth." --Robert Burnham Jr.

Hammock
    Kammok or WB RR ,Yunon earth
    Tarp
    Superfly w/ doors
    Insulation
    Snugfit & Burrow
    Suspension
    dutch cilps
    That is good and it is crazy and god save the queen

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast