Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by H27790 View Post
    I also have had difficulty finding much comparison between the NX-250 and NX-150. I read much about the 250. Is it just that people find the roominess for the 5oz worth it?
    Depends on how wide your shoulders are. First of all, have you tried a Clark? From what I've read & seen, they're rather big & heavy as compared to some of the other options available.

For 3 season camping, make sure that you get a 20* UQ.

I'm aware of the size difference between the XL and Vertex, but it's the difference that the size makes that I'm unclear about.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Depends on how wide your shoulders are. First of all, have you tried a Clark? From what I've read & seen, they're rather big & heavy as compared to some of the other options available.

For 3 season camping, make sure that you get a 20* UQ.
    I'm a 38R in jacket size. I haven't tried any hammock. I'm pretty adaptable, so quality/durability are a bigger factor in my search. Likewise weight is a concern for me only so far as it keeps me under my 36lb limit. Less is great, but only where I don't sacrifice anything other than cost.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Go to the Clark thread and post your questions. I'm just a little hesitant to tell you to go out and get a $500 hammock when you've never tried one. I was going to get a Clark, after I discovered hammocks several years ago. I have had 10 hammocks now, nary a one is a Clark. Not that I don't like them, but not my first choice on a backpacking trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Go to the Clark thread and post your questions. I'm just a little hesitant to tell you to go out and get a $500 hammock when you've never tried one. I was going to get a Clark, after I discovered hammocks several years ago. I have had 10 hammocks now, nary a one is a Clark. Not that I don't like them, but not my first choice on a backpacking trip.
    It's tricky to know where to ask some of my questions. Yes, Clark product questions should be in the Clark thread. But the original purpose of this thread was to ascertain big picture clarity. I got off track. I've learned a lot about hammocks here and I'm still researching. But it's the backpacking hanger's advice I seek. If there is an equally good forum filled with nice knowledgeable folks that covers sleeping bas vs T/UQs and packs, I'm all for it.

i.e. Where would I ask if a SeaToSummit Traverse best suits my needs? It's not synthetic, but is it the right choice? Etc...
    Last edited by H27790; 04-07-2012 at 08:03.

Here's where I'm at now...

1. Three-season Wisconsin weekend trips (monthly at most).
    2. Five day hike in Hawaii in the rainy season.
    3. Summer canoe trip into the Minnesota boundary waters (unknown length).

CAMO NX-250 with Z-liner
    20*F Burrow TQ
    After figuring out my food/water/wardrobe, a pack of appropriate capacity.

I'm shooting for <36 lbs.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    With the Clark 250 being close to 4 lbs, it's a lot of weight. I'd be more inclinded towards a DangerBird and separate tarp (like a WBBB SuperFly), or a TTTG SwitchBack. Both of these can be used with the bug netting up or down. The Dangerbird actually has a weathershield type cover built it too:

http://www.dream-hammock.com/#ecwid:...oduct=10412846

The Clark UQ isn't really an UQ, as much as an insulation package. Its in 6+ pieces from their description, "Six insulating pads are designed to fit the hammock's insulating pockets to protect the area between your shoulders and thighs. The remainder of the insulation velcros onto the area between your thighs and feet." I don't see a weight listed on it.

I'd rather have an HG Incubator 20* to go with what you have selected. You can pair it with most gathered end hammocks (It's not limited to a Clark & their velcro tab placement). It's down, rather than Climashield, so it will probably compress much smaller. Climashield might be much better in rainy conditions, but I keep mine dry under the tarp.

The Z-liner for the NX-250 is 26oz. I'm not concerned about compatibility with other hammocks. If I sell mine, the Z-liner would go with it. More importantly, I will not own more than one hammock. This is not my first spendy hobby and I know how I buy. However, if someone has first hand experience contrasting the effectiveness, or lack there of, concerning a Z-liner vs a different UQ on a NX-250/150 I'd be quite interested. I looked at the SwitchBack and Dangerbird but for some reason neither strike a cord with me.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Here's a great thread:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=50315

Maybe send a private message to Demostix with your questions.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12