Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Am I on the right track?

I'm a backpacking beginner. I've only camped before. I have three trips that I'd like my gear to handle:

1. Three-season Wisconsin weekend trips (monthly at most).
    2. Five day hike in Hawaii in the rainy season.
    3. Summer canoe trip into the Minnesota boundary waters (unknown length).

CAMO NX-250 (considering a z-liner, UQ, etc)
    A synthetic 30° sleeping bag.
    After figuring out my food/water/wardrobe, a pack of appropriate capacity.

I'm shooting for <36 lbs.

A lot of people use bags as have I. I am changing to a TQ due to weight. With your 36# goal, you may be heading down that path as well. Weekend trips are easy, 5+ days are hard for me to keep the weight down. All of the extra gear and food gets heavy quick.

I have no experience with the hammock that you chose but it looks heavy. I am under 2# with a WBBB and a OES tarp, both fully rigged. There are much lighter options than my setup.

My $0.02.
    Slave to modern society....for now

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Research lots of gear before u buy.
    most people carry 1.5lbs of food a day.
    Water is according to area... I normally carry 2L.

I would really recommend taking a few close weekend trips just to see what you really need in your pack.

The weekend trips will be first. The two extended adventures are at least a year off. I tend to research things to death. I usually buy high quality items that last me indefinitely. But I don't like to make additional purchases later if I can help it. So I want to find the gear to best handle my range of needs. Three-season in my area primarily, but fine for Hawaii. For example, since excessive rain is a possibility for the Hawaii trip, shouldn't any down insulation should be avoided?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    There have been some good suggestions in another thread that might benefit you here as well.

One great way to keep your weight down is to invest in your own dehydrator and food vacuum sealer. You'd be amazed at how much you can reduce the weight of your food, and how much you INCREASE your ability to have meals that YOU like out on the trail as a result.

Have a plan for your water. I carry a LOT more water than most, and I also carry a good filter. If water sources are available, you can carry less water. Water weighs a LOT. (Also, when you plan your meals out, you might throw in some water flavor packets to help get rid of the 'natural' taste of the water when you filter).

Since you've mentioned 3-season and a trip to Hawaii, consider a larger tarp to help keep you dry...consider one with doors as well. Yes, more weight. But it'll help keep you dry and warmer in the winter.

Keep in mind the "big 3". Your pack, your shelter, and your personal insulation (Sleeping bag or UQ/TQ) are typically the three heaviest pieces, and the first three you should consider replacing with lighter gear where possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    There have been some good suggestions in another thread that might benefit you here as well.

One great way to keep your weight down is to invest in your own dehydrator and food vacuum sealer. You'd be amazed at how much you can reduce the weight of your food, and how much you INCREASE your ability to have meals that YOU like out on the trail as a result.

Have a plan for your water. I carry a LOT more water than most, and I also carry a good filter. If water sources are available, you can carry less water. Water weighs a LOT. (Also, when you plan your meals out, you might throw in some water flavor packets to help get rid of the 'natural' taste of the water when you filter).

Since you've mentioned 3-season and a trip to Hawaii, consider a larger tarp to help keep you dry...consider one with doors as well. Yes, more weight. But it'll help keep you dry and warmer in the winter.

Keep in mind the "big 3". Your pack, your shelter, and your personal insulation (Sleeping bag or UQ/TQ) are typically the three heaviest pieces, and the first three you should consider replacing with lighter gear where possible.
    I already possess a dehydrator and vacuum sealer.

Maybe 70oz (2 liters) of water? That'd be like 4.5 lbs.

How does the Clark XL rain fly rate for your suggestion?

It's the big three that I'm working on. I'm leaning toward the NX-250 w/ Z-liner (5lb.-ish). All I have on the insulation front is the idea of synthetic due to the wet and humid Hawaiian conditions. That said, lately I tend to get cold and want to be confident in my mid-western three season preparedness. The pack comes last, so I'm just trying to work out my needed capacity.

Suggestions are welcome for any and all considerations in my scenario.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you are getting the NX250 Clark, you may as well spend the extra 20 bucks and upgrade to the Vertex fly for the Hawaii rain season trip. You'll have plenty of coverage.
    Gossamer Gear has a great pack called the Gorilla ultrilight that is good for about 30 #.
    I have the G4 pack as I carry lighter loads. I bet if you work on it and pay close attention to this forum, you should be able to get at 30# or below.
    Yea I know the Clark Hammock is heavy, but it is bullet proof. and a true 4 season marvel.
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    I'd go with a 20* down bag as an all around workhorse bag here. It's what most of the people I've ever backpacked with here use, unless you will stay in the southern part of the state.

My Moonstone Lucid sees most of the use with the exception of July and August.

Someone on the forum offered to sell me a 250 with an XL. How big of difference would a Vertex make?

I also have had difficulty finding much comparison between the NX-250 and NX-150. I read much about the 250. Is it just that people find the roominess for the 5oz worth it?

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by H27790 View Post
    Someone on the forum offered to sell me a 250 with an XL. How big of difference would a Vertex make?

I also have had difficulty finding much comparison between the NX-250 and NX-150. I read much about the 250. Is it just that people find the roominess for the 5oz worth it?
    Vertex comparison can be found here
    I think most people of average weight and height would be very comfortable in the NX150. The NX250 extra roominess is just a matter of preference for most average size people. Questions on Hammock preference can be better answered on other parts of this forum. I also agree with Lorax, a 20 degree bag will be a perfect work horse for ya especially if it’s a quilt that can be opened at the bottom for heat venting.
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast