Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

first hammock camping experience

Wow, this weekend was a blast! My son and I had our OA Ordeal Weekend and made it through. I'm really proud of my son. He was very hesitant about joining OA, but he stepped out of his comfort zone and made it through great.

He didn't ask, but since he worked through the day with such a great attitude, I let him have the jungle hammock to sleep in. He loved it! He said it was very comfortable and even though it started raining about 6:00 Sunday morning, he said he stayed dry until he went to get out of the hammock and the mosquito netting hit his back as he climbed out. I forsee having to buy more hammock tents in my future! lol

I didn't get any pictures this trip, but will be sure and take a camera on the next Troop campout. If it goes over like I expect it to, I bet our Scouts will be planning a fundraiser to purchase hammocks for the Troop!

One of the adults there mentioned using ratchet ties on the trees instead of ropes. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?
    I love flavored tea -- as long as the flavor is "Really Strong Coffee"!

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Wow, this weekend was a blast! My son and I had our OA Ordeal Weekend and made it through. I'm really proud of my son. He was very hesitant about joining OA, but he stepped out of his comfort zone and made it through great.

He didn't ask, but since he worked through the day with such a great attitude, I let him have the jungle hammock to sleep in. He loved it! He said it was very comfortable and even though it started raining about 6:00 Sunday morning, he said he stayed dry until he went to get out of the hammock and the mosquito netting hit his back as he climbed out. I forsee having to buy more hammock tents in my future! lol

I didn't get any pictures this trip, but will be sure and take a camera on the next Troop campout. If it goes over like I expect it to, I bet our Scouts will be planning a fundraiser to purchase hammocks for the Troop!

One of the adults there mentioned using ratchet ties on the trees instead of ropes. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?
    wow thats great,welcome to hammock forrums,scouting is great also.unfortunately we were in a screwed up scout troop.i still have not tried to find a good troop for my boys,neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    SLD TreeRunner, DD FL
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    DD UQ HG Econ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Welcome to the Brotherhood of Hangers and to the Brotherhood of Cheerful Service!

Unfortunately the troop my son was in was lacking leadership and he decided to not go to another troop. But we still enjoy doing Scouty things and getting outdoors.

cc
    Campcrafter

I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains.
    - John Muir

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Congrats! I have no idea what OA is but it sounds like you guys had a good time.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Congrats! I have no idea what OA is but it sounds like you guys had a good time.
    order of the arrow,in the troop i was in you had to be in the click to get inneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    BA Yampa, Exped 7s
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome. My son is a first year scouter. Currently, I'm the only hanger in the troop, but there may be some converts soon. My first time out with the troop, the trees I used to hang were huge, too big for my stock HH straps. Fortunately, my vehicle was nearby and I ended up using cargo straps. They worked fine, but were heavy. Check the other sections for alternatives to the hugger/rope/lashing approach.
    To Boldly Hang Where No One Has Hung Before...

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    order of the arrow,in the troop i was in you had to be in the click to get inneo
    Ah ok. Thanks for the info.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    Congrats on a great weekend with your Son. My Son and I just had our first hang together with his Webelos Den and had a great experience also. I think when people see it done right, they realise just how logical hammocks are. I expect to see a few more hammocks in our pack (and troop come next year after he crosses over). Sometimes it may take people until the next morning before they develop any interest in hammocks, once they have worked the cricks and aches and pains out from sleeping on the ground

Congradulations on your successful ordeal arrowman! I as well went thru with my son and it is a memory I will take with me forever. I went to Philmont this year without him and he was with me last year and when we got to a place we had went to last year I really missed him being with me. They grow up fast!!

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    I love seeing scout dads and sons using hammocks. I have been hanging with our scouts(cub & boy) for years and people always have questions.

Congratulations to your son. I know you are proud.

Order of the Arrow is like the honor society and its for life. My son is just finished his 1st class requirements and has been nominated for the OA.

Might have to start a thread on Scout parents and thier hammocks. I would like to get a count of people, and experiences and see if we can compile information for the new scout parent who stumbles across this site.

I saw on an earlier thread that you are the District Training Chair so I know you involved quite a bit in scouts.

Just and hr a week....right????

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast