Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Yeah, that's Doctari's 9x9 Neo tarp on Sunday morning after we had quite a bit of snow and ice. He just hangs his on the square rather than on the diagonal.
    Yep, that's me. The clear tarp over another tarp is indeed ICE over my SG camo tarp. It was just a bit nippy Saturday night

In warm weather I rig it diagonally, but in cold weather (or if I don't have the room tween trees), I rig square. I seem to get better protection square, well, provided I'm oriented correctly that is

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Next Campout?!

I'm **** sorry I missed it due to the cold weather killing the pipes in my house.
    I went to the PA Ruck since I got such a late start coming from NJ
    I was already too tired from fixing the pipes.

nice photos
    Last edited by Crash; 01-29-2007 at 18:36. Reason: added coment
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Yep, that's me. The clear tarp over another tarp is indeed ICE over my SG camo tarp. It was just a bit nippy Saturday night

In warm weather I rig it diagonally, but in cold weather (or if I don't have the room tween trees), I rig square. I seem to get better protection square, well, provided I'm oriented correctly that is

That is downright amazing. Even upon knowing that and going back to look at it again, it just doesn't seem possible. It appears like there is space between the outer layer, (the ice) and the inner layer (the tarp). It's a fascinating picture! It's hard to imagine you stayed warm in there! You part Eskimo or something?

Miguel

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    That is downright amazing. Even upon knowing that and going back to look at it again, it just doesn't seem possible. It appears like there is space between the outer layer, (the ice) and the inner layer (the tarp). It's a fascinating picture! It's hard to imagine you stayed warm in there! You part Eskimo or something?

Miguel
    I finally dried out my tarp, still had the ice in places. Looking at the pic, I see what you mean, I assure you it's an optical illusion. The ice was at least 1/16 inch or more that side, more on the oposite / windward side.

Funny you should ask, my boss calls me a "Homesick Eskimo" & needs to wear a jacket when we work together, in the summer, cause I like it cooler than most. But as far as I know, no Inuit ancestors. Yes, I stayed Warm N Toasty: wearing 1 tee shirt, 2 sweatshirts, 1 wool shirt, but as best we can tell wind chill brought the temp anywhere from -6 to -23. (3 wind chill charts couldn't agree, all "government issue" or at least copies.)

Doctari.

Hammock
    HH ULBP with Mod#2
    Tarp
    8x10 Sil
    Insulation
    Nest or HHSS
    What gear were you guys using? That must of been one cold night!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Uploaded a few pics to the Gallery and did my usual write-up on the website.
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesMtRogers.html

I couldn't shake all the ice off of my tarp, either...I had quite a bit of water dripping off of my tarp when I unpacked it at home.

This was really a great trip...glad everyone could come. Hope the next one gets even more folks out (and I'll bring the s'mores this time!).
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Nice report, I like the way you had the two hammocks under one tarp. I want to try this with my youngest daughter. Any tips?

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Nice write-up as always, Jeff! And sorry if I inadvertently mentioned your son's name (I can't remember if I did or not).
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    BB - I don't think you posted his name. No big deal anyway...I didn't think about mentioning it at the campout, so it's my bad. Just one of my safety rules, though.

HANGnOUT - it's really easy if she's small...just hang them from the same tree. If you want some separation, hang your hammock so it comes off of one side of a wide tree (rather than from the middle, like normal), and have her hammock come off the other side.

Hang hers a bit lower than yours...since you're heavier, you'll have more sag than her when you get in. If she starts out lower, you'll end up in about the right place when you both get in. If you can hang it low enough so she doesn't need your help to get in, all the better.

Make sure the sides of her hammock are tight enough that you're comfortable she won't fall out. If you have any doubt about her staying in, you'll wake up every time she moves even a little bit...and won't get a bit of sleep!

Put yourself on the windward side so you block the wind from her. And so you catch any windblown rain and can fix it...she may not realize until it's too late that a few drops on her face means you need to adjust the tarp.

I always bring two tarps. I generally only set up one and it's been fine, but if a big rainstorm comes I want to be absolutely sure I have enough protection. A cold wet night for me is ok...a cold wet night for a kid might turn them off to camping for good. I did use my second tarp as a windbreak one night on an exposed ridgeline. He thought the protected site was too creepy...it kinda was, too...so we had to stay in a beautiful but exposed spot and I'm glad I had the second tarp b/c the MacCat wasn't enough to protect both of us that time.

I like being close enough to touch him when we're sleeping, too. He can't regulate his temp yet, so I like to make sure he's not sweating or getting too cold at night. There's been a time or three when he got cold at night, so he just crawled right over into my hammock w/o putting on his shoes or anything. Pretty convenient.

I also generally use a CCF pad for him. Mainly it's a safety thing, I guess...if we happen to get separated, I'm not confident he can set up a hammock correctly but I'm pretty sure he can throw down a pad and pull out his sleeping bag. And if he gets wet or accidentally gets his gear wet, as kids are known to do, the pad is much more forgiving. Haven't had any problems yet, though...might graduate him up to an insulated hammock soon!

And like everything else, test at home. Get her comfortable in the hammock when she's just playing around at home, then let her take a nap in it, and maybe spend the night in the backyard with you. Then when you go hiking, it'll still be an adventure but not something completely foreign to her.

That's about it for now. If y'all want to discuss this more I'll split it into it's own thread.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Thanks for the input. Lots of good tips .She likes playing in the tent so the JRB hammock tent I saw in the pics from Mt. Rogers could solve the problem.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast