Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I've been in Scouting for 8 years now. Have been Tiger Leader, Den Leader, and Webelos Leader (on my second go around with youngest son) and am also ASM for older son's Troop. I also serve as District Training chair and Cub Day Camp Director. I went through Woodbadge in 2007 (SR 845) and received my beads July 25th. I was also tapped out that night and completed OA Ordeal this past weekend.

I would love to see our Troop do some fundraising for a big trip. Right now I'm the only one hanging, but I forsee that changing after our next campout!
    I love flavored tea -- as long as the flavor is "Really Strong Coffee"!

Images

scouts and HH

HH gave us a 20% break and cut us a discount with shipping. They were very supportive of the scouts.

The only thing was the huggers weren't free as advertised on line cause they don't combine deals. The discount was still worth it.

I will post a few pictures. ankh

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    ankh- Did you guys buy the scout hammocks for the standard adult version

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunHiker View Post
    LW, not sure if you're aware but HH gives scout discount.

I'd like to hear from folks with multiple scout hangers on how they arrange their patrols. How do you handle tree-less setups (like maybe a camporee when you're assigned to a field)?
    We haven't had to deal with entire patrols hammock camping, mostly leaders. In most cases the hammocks can go in places where tents can't, which is a win-win for everybody. Minimal setup time means more time to help the cubs get their tents up. On family outings we found that the kids like putting several hammocks under a shared tarp.

We haven't had to deal with an absence of trees yet, since many of our group leaders participate in camporee planning and can influence site selection. We would likely use a tube-and-clamp scaffold system to cobble together a structure for hanging hammocks and supporting a common tarp. I have access to a lot of aluminum pipe (1.9" OD SCH 40) and clamps (cheeseboroughs) used for temporary rigging at a local theatre. It's overkill for supporting hammocks but relatively light (< 1lb per foot) and very easy to assemble. The theatre acquired the materials from a local scaffold company that had finished a big job and was unloading the stuff to to reduce inventory.

Images

hammocks

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    ankh- Did you guys buy the scout hammocks for the standard adult version
    we bought several of each, from scouts to ultralight, for scouts and leaders.

Images

couple of hangin hammocks

Here are 3 of our hammocks and a picture of the boys with their "island mate" Paige, a wonderful young lady.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest &amp; DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    I haven't been on a whole lot lately so I'll check in.

Eagle Scout and father of an Eagle Scout and another son that bowed out after Star.
    OA. Woodbadge (Owl). Currently serving as Asst. SM, Records keeper, Webmaster and Unit Commissioner but since '91 have been Cubmaster, Cub Comm. Ch., Troop Comm. Mbr., Troop Comm. Ch., Scoutmaster ('99-'04).

Led contingent to 2001 Nat'l Jamboree (which included both my sons) and another contingent to Philmont in 2004 (neither son went), served as Subcamp 20 Staff at 2005 Nat'l Jamboree and planning to serve at 2010 Nat'l Jamboree (100 Years of Scouting).

I got my first real intro to hammocks at Tom Hennessy's display in the OA area at the 2005 Jamboree. Since then I have become somewhat of a local authority on hammocks and have converted several adults and a few scouts to hammocks and have made some of my own gear.

Ankh, glad to hear you had a great time at SeaBase. The other leader I mentioned to you told me tonight that he never got up with you and wondered if you have already attended SeaBase.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123