DutchWare 11ft Netless
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    20° Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

20º + 40º = <0º?

Has anyone used a two quilt system to make their system more versatile in cold weather? The same thought would apply to TQs too.

I've got a 20º Phoenix from Hammock Gear, and I was thinking that if I had a 40º Incubator as well, then I'd be set for any season, warm or freezing. The thought is, that in very cold temperatures, I could use both quilts and essentially have a system for 0º or lower. Would the same work for a 20º and 50º Burrow? I could use Dutch Quilt Hooks between the two UQs to keep them together.

(Maybe I should have done the opposite; a 20º Incubator and 40º Phoenix.)

Would it work like I'm thinking? Would it be more hassle than it's worth? Your feedback is appreciated.
    I'm out... | website

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB &amp; Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    In theory, yes. In actual practice, you just have to make sure there is no draft between the two quilts. I sew pieces of grossgain on the hems of my quilts. That allows me to stack them by tying the strips of grossgain to each other like shoelaces.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    Just like the military sleep system. Works for it so should work here as well?
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal View Post
    Just like the military sleep system. Works for it so should work here as well?
    I find the milspec system way too warm until you hit 10F or lower. Too much sweat and it sucks the heat right out of me. To balance this I use polar fleece blanket slipped in between the patrol bag and the ECW bag. What you have in mind should work, even the math doesn't look right... LOL

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    In theory, yes. In actual practice, you just have to make sure there is no draft between the two quilts. I sew pieces of grossgain on the hems of my quilts. That allows me to stack them by tying the strips of grossgain to each other like shoelaces.
    And Mike may very well do that for UQs as well -- though we stacking as something we do above the table, not below it --. Because if it is so cold you were going to use two UQs, you certainly would want to control their sliding out of place unpredictably during the night.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    I have had decent success with stacking UQ's, but not so much with TQ's. (I think I need more practice.)
    The trick for me was to put the shorter quilt inside the longer quilt and, like mentioned above, make sure there are no gaps between the quilts.

As for the temps with your quilts, I'm not sure what range you would get. You will have to do your own tests.
    Testing is the fun part anyway, right?
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    The challenge would be to get them arranged / suspended in a way that the loft of one or the other of the quilts wasn't diminished to some extent.

David

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Speer, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps
    Your on the right track. I have used 2 TQs stacked and 2 UQs stacked to get to the teens below zero.

Like the others have said, the key is making sure they stay stacked and in place. Make sure the smaller UQ goes on the outside. That way no cold air pockets will form underneath you.

Also experiment with the TQs. One may work better than the other on the outside.

Cheers

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    It's certainly my plan to stack insulation. I was thinking of getting a fall or summer weight TQ/UQ combination, and then I could stack those quilts with my 20* TQ/UQ to get down to 0* weather.

I'm sure it will take some tweaking to keep the layers in place.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    This same thought was striking me the other day. I've got a lighter TQ and a Flamethrower UQ, which could handle a pretty wide range of temps. But I was thinking that I need a summer weight UQ that I would then add to the Flamethrower for serious cold. My DIY TQ is too light for much cold, so I need to add a warmer/loftier TQ. Between four quilts I would think that I could handle most any weather out there. Might take some work to keep it all together as others have mentioned, but it seems to me to be on the right track.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast