DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

Wilderness Logics Tarp Durability

I am looking at buying a Big Daddy Tarp. It looks like a nice piece of well made gear for a good price. I have also been impressed with the company's customer service. I have one concern, though, and would appreciate some input from people who own a Wilderness Logics tarp. My concern is the way the line loops are attached to the tarp at the corners and ridge. What has been your field experience with this tarp developing small holes or tearing in the silnylon along the long edge of the triangular reinforcement patch? I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, but I would prefer a patch about double that size made of a lighter weight material to spread the tension out. If it holds up, though, it really doesn't matter to me. Any field experience or comments about durability would help me. Please give an estimate of how many times you've used your tarp if your comment is that they "hold up fine".

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I have hung my OMW tarp now,,maybe 2 dozen times,,and have it hung outside now,,as its going to get down to 35 or so tonite and sleeping out checking gear and testing..and you have no worrys about how their tarps are made..as to me ,,,they are bomb proof and equal to anybody's tarp..I also had a 10' x 12' silnylon OES and you cannot tell the difference hardly,,both are made exceptionally well. I now have a Cuben 4 season ordered from Hammock Gear..and sold the OES,,but you won;t see me ever selling my OldMan Winter as it will stay with me as long as I camp and hang. And yu will see me buy another Cuben before the fall for the wife to use..but I am still keeping the OMW as it will have its uses in my gear stash. If anything ever goes wrong with your tarp,,just call Marty at Wilderness Logics and he will make it right..they stand behing their workmanship and products they make just like all the other gear makers on this forum..they all back their stuff. Talk to them,,ask them, they enjoy chatting and telling you how they back their stuff,,,don't take my word,,just for it. and good luck with your decsions,,
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    i have WL Tadpole that has 18 trips for a total of about 27 nights (several in high winds) with no issues. i use zing-it for my tie outs and continuous RL. i use line tensioners on my tie outs and i also attach my guy lines to the loops with mitten hooks. the mitten hooks are to provide a "weak link" so when i stumble on a guy line i run less risk of a tear. anyway.

i feel 100% confident that the attachment points are completely sound and strong.

i also have an Oldman Winter with 6 trips ad 10 nights and all is well there too.

WL knows their way around when it comes to injecting thread into rip stop, sil and just about every kind of fabric you can come up with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

Corner Details at the lines

Thanks for the comments. I agree that the OES and Wilderness Logics tarps are equals in most respects based on looking at the pictures. The sewing and workmanship on the WL looks excellent. The reinforcement details on the WL at line attach points aren't the best design, though. I design stuff for a living and its better to spread out the tension. If you compare the OES tarp at the line attach points to the WL you can see what I mean. One spreads the tension over many inches and the other spreads it over a much smaller distance. The stress in the silnylon is at least double with the smaller reinforcement. If the tension in the attached line is low enough it doesn't matter. So, like I said in the earlier post, if it they hold up in service I'm not going to let it bother me.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

Additional Question .....

Can anyone tell me if those black triangular reinforcements shown in the picture a few post above this one are on both sides of the silnylon? One on each side would be better than just reinforcing one side.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    i can't recall for sure, but i will check mine tomorrow.

Hammock
    ENO singlenest
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    poncho liners
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    The black reinforcement is only on one side, but the tie-outs are very sturdy. In my opinion, If a big enough wind blows up to break one of those tie-outs, theres probably nothing any tarp could have done. If it helps you make a decision, heres some pics of mine. I know I had trouble finding pics of the big daddy when i was looking to buy it.

ridgeline tie-out

with two m's, like "hammock."

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Thanks for the pictures. Its good to know what they look like, I wouldn't design them that way, but that's just my opinion. So far nobody seems to have any long term trouble with them.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have an Old Man Winter tarp and have not had any issues with it and it has been thru one major rain storm. I stayed nice and dry that night until I had to get up and break down camp to leave and then I got wet once I left the saftey of the tarp.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I have an Old Man Winter tarp and have not had any issues with it and it has been thru one major rain storm. I stayed nice and dry that night until I had to get up and break down camp to leave and then I got wet once I left the saftey of the tarp.
    never leave the safety of the tarp

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast