DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Lightning has struck and killed 5 trees in my yard over the past 4 years. One of which I witnessed while sitting on the back porch. Lightning is a nasty beast but Ill take my chances in the wild. More likely to die on the way to the trail than on the trail

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Excellent post, Owl. I made sure my family learned the lightning position after reading that.

I'm split about the safety of a hammock in a storm, and I'm not worried about falling on my butt. I read that "physics is afraid of lightning," and it sure behaves that way. If anything can be a wire, and a 1' difference in the spacing of your feet makes the difference between life and death, the hammock becomes a wire connecting the lightning to the ground, between the two trees. If a tree you're on gets a direct strike, or a strong side flash, you might be in trouble.
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    last time out camping with Whiskeyjack and his family, all of us in our hammocks, were awaken from thunder. the light show after was amazing . unfortunately I was too comfortable in my hammock to stay awake and worry if I should be strung between trees. definitely more fun in a hammock than a tent though. never vibrated in a tent from thunder.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hickery and I rode some stellar lightning up on a ridge in the Linville Gorge. We were prepared to bail....but never did.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by DeRozea View Post
    last time out camping with Whiskeyjack and his family, all of us in our hammocks, were awaken from thunder. the light show after was amazing . unfortunately I was too comfortable in my hammock to stay awake and worry if I should be strung between trees. definitely more fun in a hammock than a tent though. never vibrated in a tent from thunder.
    That was an awesome night, probably one of the worst storms I've been out in, and I've been out in a lot. Of course, it meant I had to leave my comfy hammock to check on the kids. Two slept through it, and the youngest only needed a quick reassurance that everything was OK.

Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Hanging with lightening?

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Hickery and I rode some stellar lightning up on a ridge in the Linville Gorge. We were prepared to bail....but never did.
    Shug

Where would you bail too?

Hammock
    Hennessy ULB-A
    Tarp
    OES/McCat Std
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Stock with biners
    My local woods are mostly plantation pine, with hardwood bottoms. The old oaks are much taller than the young pines. I hang on the border between the two types where there is often a path/trail (bottoms are wet/damp, plantation is thick/brushy). Lightning seems to strike big, tall trees... I try to hang off the smaller, springier, shorter ones.

My 'other' hangout is the Adirondacks, mostly along the lake shores... As I camp on the shore (lower) and the big trees that attract the lightning are generally up on the ridges, closer to the clouds, I think I'm probably safe that way.

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Shug, I gotta say, that's a great video of an honest over-nighter. Awesome hang spot, beautiful lightening, and nothing like the sound of rain on the tarp. Thanks for the ride!

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I've had a few close strikes, the closest was about 25 feet from me. I was in a car, thank goodness, but it blew the tree apart when it hit. I'd be worried the exploding bark might break my tree straps and land me on the ground. I had a tree about a hundred yards behind the house get hit. It was about 14" in diameter, and it blew that tree in half, lengthwise from the ground, up about twelve feet. Again, I wouldn't want to be trapped in the hammock in that case. sitting on the hammock, under the tarp, sure, but ready to run like hell.
    Of course, everyone thinks I'm crazy because when a storm comes up I rush outside with the camera to photograph lightning. when it starts getting close or I start getting wet I go in, but there's always that "bolt from the blue" that can get you.

In this one most of the strikes were off to the right, under the cloud, but when I saw a little action where this bolt came out, I moved the camera and got one good blast from the top. It is unpredictable... even though you might seem safe where you are, suddenly ZAP. The nice thing is, if you get hit, you get hit. You wake up in the hospital or valhalla... or maybe sore on the trail if you're really lucky.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    Diy gear double
    Tarp
    Diy tarp 10x12
    Insulation
    Insultex Climash.
    Suspension
    Strap and rings

Tarp camping with lightning

Many years ago my buddy and I were motorcycle camping out west. We ended the day in Keyhole State Park in N. Dakota? We set up our tarp in the typical vee by tieing the ridge line between two trees. We retired for the night.

Sometime in the very early morn, we were awakened by a tremendous boom. A very energetic thunder and lightning storm had brewed up and we were under these nice high trees. I'll never forget turning over and seeing my partner staring at me with these huge wide white eyes. He asked me "What should we do" ? I looked calmly at him and stated rather fatalistically "Where would you have us go in the rain" ? I then rolled over and returned to my blissful sleep.

Sometimes there are no choices to be made.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast