Thread: Diy UQ question

Diy UQ question

My thought was to make a UQ for the time being out of a Walmart rectangular sleeping bag. It's rated at 40 degrees. My question is that if I keep it double layered and uncompressed do you think it will take me to 30 degrees?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think you will have a hard time getting it to hang perfectly without compressing any of it. That being said, there is only one true way to know.... just try it. If you already have it on hand, it wouldn't hurt. I personally wouldn't spend any $ on it, only to find out it doesn't work well. I will say that it will not work as well as an UQ from one of the cottage manufactures like Underground Quilts, Hammock Gear, Warbonnet, Jacks R Better etc.....but good quality comes at a high price.
    My head is an animal

Yeah the one I saw on Walmart.com was only $25 and it's a 2 person rectangular sleeping bag that separates into two single bags. The dimensions are 80" x 59". I think it will work with some modifications like cutting it down to maybe 48" from the 80" side and have a pretty close to full length UQ and be able to have it double layered, and also putting shock cord channels in. Idk I think I may dive in.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    $25 ain't bad. For that cash its probably worth a shot. Post how it works out.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Measure the loft (thickness) of the layer. Cut it so that the outer layer is wider by twice the loft, and you should be somewhere close to being able to hang the layers without compression or gap.

Circumference (width w) of a 270 degree arc (inner layer) = 3/4*pi*d. d=w/(3/4*pi)
    Circumference (width W) of a 270 degree arc (outer layer) = 3/4*pi*D where D=d+loft.

W=3/4*pi*(w/(3/4*pi)+loft)

expanding out the terms leaves W=w+(3/4*pi*loft). 3/4*pi is a little over 2. An UQ doesn't quite cover 3/4 of a circle in arc, so the rounding is appropriate.

Hammock
    Warbonnet xlc
    Tarp
    hg cf and spinn
    Insulation
    synthetic
    Suspension
    straps/ dynaglide
    ^listen to his first two lines and don't overthink it. Math was never my strong suit though. I personally use a sewn PLUQ and a space blanket if needed for cooler temps. those space blankets work wonders on keeping wind out even if the uq is being robbed of heat and I have never had a condensation issue in my 4 years of hanging that way.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Yes to the 30*F. If doubled, it will take you to your desired temp.

That said, it does need to be modifiyed as suggested already. The best way to determine how without all the math would be to lay it on the ground folded. Pin or sew the separated ends together. Hold this side up as the length of the UQ and pick up(or have a friend help) the other side, the folded side.

As you pick it up while holding the fold, make sure you allow the top section along the folded side to slide and shorten while allowing the bottom to lengthen. This will keep the top from compressing and keeping the loft. When your happy with the U shape of the UQ, pin along the new fold. This will be the new side and sew.

On the ends, the top will be shorter than bottom so you will need to add a few small pleats to the bottom so it's the same length as the top. Sew together.

Add your channels to sides and ends. Add shockcord to hang and drawcords to close the ends and your done.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    12X10 SilPoly
    Insulation
    CS UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    I have put channels and suspensions on many of the wally world double bags for people just starting out. I leave the dimensions/zippers alone so they can also be used as sleeping bags in a pinch. Since the bags are wide for a hammock it is like sleeping in a taco, but the bags are a great bang for the buck. Down to the 32 degree's range they work fine. This lets the beginners "feel" what hammocks are about without costing an arm or leg. After a few outings, they usually get sucked into the hammock world and then go for more substantial gear.
    Last edited by V_Allen; 09-30-2014 at 14:46. Reason: edit

• + New Posts