Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    Good on ya Uncle Mike (transport)! The pace was on, big miles too. Stairs and bridges are cool, suspension bridges are the best. Very, very, very nice place! I’m tired now after watching that, so I think I might go have a little nap. lol Thanks the the fast paced trip report, FireInMyBones!
    I love my uncle Matt. As he continues to get into better shape, we plan on doing some more hiking together. He just dropped me off, but. He's great.Suspension bridges are my favorite kind. I rested most of yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
    Cool hike I would love to hike it myself, one day!
    Thanks for the cool video!
    I highly recommend the hike. You are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Plus one on Uncle Matt ... good uncle for sure. STEPS! YIKES ... I thought you were in China for a minute there. Every "trail" there is made of steps if there is an incline and some are marble or a slick stone of some kind. Never understood the logic on that one!

Looks like a great trip ...
    I think that you should give the trail a shot. I've never been to China, but I'd be sure to enjoy it. I'm so glad to have my Uncle around.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    Killer hike... You were cruzzen right long.
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Thanks for the trip report. I'm going to yo-yo from Laurel Valley to Bad Creek and back to Laurel Valley next week. I was worried there would be more blow downs due to the storms we've had. I felt your pain on Heartbreak Ridge. That little ridge has broken my heart a few times and I'm quite sure it will again next week. Not doing the high mileage you did though. I'm doing a 14, 17, 17, 14 route. Mmmmm, I ain't young like you, I'm old and wore out, Mmmmm. Plus I like to lollygag in camp a little. But like they say, hike your own hike. Glad you had a good trip.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for the report and video. Sorry you missed Hillard Falls. We cooled off there last summer and enjoyed our stop.

BTW, there are over 130 steps going down from Upper Whitewater Falls, which you mentioned early on. We counted.
    wooden steps below Upper Whitewater Falls.

Also, we stopped and got in almost every river, due to the heat. The lake came all the way to Canebrake for us.

YES on the "stairmaster" routine!!! Man oh man. I know what you mean about just about crying on Heartbreak Ridge! Your pace was incredible.

Nice you got to give those other hikers a ride just when they needed it.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Great video! I really enjoyed watching it.
    This is the part of the FHT that I'm still missing. I've made it in to the top of Laurel Fork Falls several times but never on over to Upper Whitewater Falls. I plan to fix that in May.
    Thanks for taking us along.

Now, to get technical... what camera do you use and what are you using to hold it so steady while you walk?

swampfox
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhpy View Post
    Killer hike... You were cruzzen right long.
    Not too killer, at least in regards to the effort output; eventually I want to be able to do 30 mile days. However, those views...so nice, killer.

Quote Originally Posted by ShellD View Post
    Thanks for the trip report. I'm going to yo-yo from Laurel Valley to Bad Creek and back to Laurel Valley next week. I was worried there would be more blow downs due to the storms we've had. I felt your pain on Heartbreak Ridge. That little ridge has broken my heart a few times and I'm quite sure it will again next week. Not doing the high mileage you did though. I'm doing a 14, 17, 17, 14 route. Mmmmm, I ain't young like you, I'm old and wore out, Mmmmm. Plus I like to lollygag in camp a little. But like they say, hike your own hike. Glad you had a good trip.
    Other than that one big tree in the video, blow down was almost nonexistent. Small things on the trail I tried to remove with my poles. Enjoy your trip. I'll be looking forward to a rematch with Heartbreak Ridge in July, maybe sooner for the fun of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Thanks for the report and video. Sorry you missed Hillard Falls. We cooled off there last summer and enjoyed our stop.

BTW, there are over 130 steps going down from Upper Whitewater Falls, which you mentioned early on. We counted.
    wooden steps below Upper Whitewater Falls.

Also, we stopped and got in almost every river, due to the heat. The lake came all the way to Canebrake for us.

YES on the "stairmaster" routine!!! Man oh man. I know what you mean about just about crying on Heartbreak Ridge! Your pace was incredible.

Nice you got to give those other hikers a ride just when they needed it.

Rain Man

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm happy to share. So, many stairs. I had no idea. I lost count on Heartbreak Ridge after ~400. The "stairmaster" snip was caught by my family and although true, holds a meaning for us. When my family used to travel for summer vacations together (I was in middle and high school), we would RV around to different amusement and national parks. One year we went to Kings Island in OH and I did the same waterslide on Pipeline Peak 70 times in a row earning the park's unofficial title of "stairmaster." I have no idea if anyone has beat my "record." But I was just having fun.

I would love to see the lake level up again, but ll of the maintenance Devil's Fork State Park had been doing, plus already low water levels from last year is going to take a while. As an avid Scuba diver at Jocassee, I am kind of enjoying the ability to get a bit deeper without going deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by swampfox View Post
    Great video! I really enjoyed watching it.
    This is the part of the FHT that I'm still missing. I've made it in to the top of Laurel Fork Falls several times but never on over to Upper Whitewater Falls. I plan to fix that in May.
    Thanks for taking us along.

Now, to get technical... what camera do you use and what are you using to hold it so steady while you walk?

swampfox
    Thanks. Well, I hope you get to do this section. It is wonderful.

I am using my new Fujifilm Finepix XP50, in blue, set on 720 for video and a stick pic to mount the camera on the end of my hiking pole (Black Diamond Distance Poles). It takes some getting used to and some forearm strength, but after the first few videos, it gets much easier.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Woohoo! Gotta love those Carolina woods. That's great you started using "Hydropel," it's great stuff. I use Bonnie's balm for my feet while I'm out on the trail. I am a total foot cleaning nerd when I'm in the woods. Thanks for the vid and glad you made it home safe.

Are you going to be at the Linville gorge or Trail days next month?

Fronkey

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    Enjoyed the video. Been waiting to see how ya came out there
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Glad you listened to your intuition and your safe.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Woohoo! Gotta love those Carolina woods. That's great you started using "Hydropel," it's great stuff. I use Bonnie's balm for my feet while I'm out on the trail. I am a total foot cleaning nerd when I'm in the woods. Thanks for the vid and glad you made it home safe.

Are you going to be at the Linville gorge or Trail days next month?

Fronkey
    I have to say, I love our woods. As to the hydropel, I have yet to use it on my feet. Since I switched to "thinny thin" socks that I run in, I haven't had any hotspots...on my feet. My upper thighs and the surrounding region is another story.

I may be at the Gorge for an overnight, but I'll be in the Smokies the following weekend. Never been to trail days, nor do I know anything but of the name.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinasbackpacker View Post
    Enjoyed the video. Been waiting to see how ya came out there
    I'm glad you enjoyed the video. I personally am glad I made it out safe.

Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Glad you listened to your intuition and your safe.
    The Lord works in mysterious ways, sometimes that means my gut...
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast