Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WB Blackbird line strap vs. adj webbing

I've seen videos of both in action. It seems almost hands down that the adj webbing is way easier even though it is a few oz heavier. I doubt however that they would offer the line strap option unless there were many people who preferred it.

I can see weight shaving fanatics going for the line strap but I suspect that there is another faction who prefers the line/strap for other reasons.

The reason I'm asking is because I wanted the adjustable webbing suspension, but accidentally ordered the line/strap.

I'm thinking of sending it back, but if there are distinct advantages to the line/strap that I'm not aware of, maybe I'll stick with it.

The first thing that came to mind was mimicking my new Eno single nest by tying a biner to each end and simply adjusting the length of the strap by the number of times I wrapped it around a tree. Mind you that I've yet to hammock camp other than a few nights in my backyard trying out the Eno (though I have been bringing a hammock backpacking for many years).

I liked the biner setup of the Eno combined with Hammock Bliss straps, but compared to what I've used for many years - a hammock with about 30 feet of 1/4 inch poly rope on each end wrapped many times around a tree, the biner/strap was amazing.

So what are the advantages of the line/strap suspension outside weight?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    To be honest I do not see any real advantages outside of weight. The problem IMO is adjustment. When setting up, it would be a pain to untie and retie the line to get the suspension dialed in. You'll be getting webbing so I suggest swapping out the line for whoopie slings. It's a very popular and easy modification. The slings allow you to adjust quickly and in small increments which makes tweaking very easy.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have a BB with the BB stock straps and adjustable buckle, added Dutch Clips and I have a fast and easy set up my hammock.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I have a BB with the BB stock straps and adjustable buckle, added Dutch Clips and I have a fast and easy set up my hammock.
    Dutch clips? Which of the two setups do you consider to be the stock straps?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I kinda enjoy the line/strap suspension, tying slipped buntline hitches, etc. I have both styles (line/strap as well as strap/buckle) of suspension as well as whoopies and I like them all and enjoy the fiddling.

David

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    of 'em all, i like the adjustability of a whoopie or straps and buckles.

my tarp dictates somewhat where my hammock needs to be... and laterally
    moving the hammock is sometimes quicker than moving the tarp. the line/strap
    was a little cumbersome at 36*F, when i wanted to readjust.

they all have quirks--- get out and play- HAVE FUN!
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I was worried when I ordered mine too, as I ordered the straps with triangle buckles.

While I like the whoopies, I find that I have a lot more adjustability with the straps & buckles (my whoopies only have about 4' of adjustment on each side of the hammock).

The straping is quick to attach with a biner and then adjust at the buckle. I've traded out for whoopies on most of my gathered end hammocks, but not on either of my WBBBs.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks cuben
    Insulation
    WB, JRB, or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I'm using this exact same setup now.

That's after changing out the stock straps for whoopies and using tree straps, Dutch Clips and Dutch Buckles.

I liked that setup, all great quality gear, but decided to go back to the original setup for simplicity. Had to keep those Dutch Clips though!

Jay

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    In one thread I seem to remember Brandon saying the line strap was done assuming that most would replace them with a Whoopie system to their own taste. I've been considering replacing my Traveler Adjustable webbing with Dutch Whoopie hooks with complete suspension. Not because I need lower weight or anything but just for the fun of it. Overall I really like my Adjustable Webbing but if the idea of adding a Whoopie was the plan before buying a WB, I'd order the Line Strap one.

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Hornet
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Big Agnes w/ Exped
    Suspension
    Webbing and Rings
    Can you set up a suspension system pretty much like the Black Bird suspension simply by swapping out the triangular rings with descending rings? I have had trouble with making loosening adjustments with the blackbird rings and I think the 1.5" rings from REI might make adjustments a bit quicker. I need another set of webbing suspension anyway.
    Thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast