Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    TW XL black at the moment
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    Modified mummy bag

Question Legality in the UK

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I don't seem to be able to find it anywhere and I can't use the search function on my phone.

I've been looking into a first camp out once I get my gear delivered and I just don't see how it's legally possible over here. There are no official camp sites (that I can find) that cater for hammock use as they are all just big grassy fields full of screaming kids and people driving around (bad past experiences I'm afraid).

The laws are a bit stuff with regard to the very few places that is it legal to go wild camping, they are generally mountainous areas with little or no trees for suspension. I'm a little confused by the prospect at the moment. Hopefully someone can help.

What do other guys from the UK do?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WB RR
    Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images
    This is what I was taught some time ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Weekend_Warrior View Post
    Plenty of hanging going on in the UK - lots of woodland with permission and access. BCUK, BCL and the like have many groups meeting up in woodland all over the UK.
    So I guess, you will find more information on the BCUK forum.

Do you want to hike and just hang for the night ? I see that the Peak District is close, so may be the Dark Peak.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralite zip mod
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Winter Nest
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    come to Scotland, wild camping is legal here
    “The censorious said she slept in a hammock and understood Yeats's poems, but her family denied both stories.”
    ― Saki, The Chronicles of Clovis

Hammock
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    Modified mummy bag
    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    This is what I was taught some time ago...

So I guess, you will find more information on the BCUK forum.

Do you want to hike and just hang for the night ? I see that the Peak District is close, so may be the Dark Peak.
    Thank you for the reply, I'll take a look into that forum and for more info in the Peak District, I would like to find somewhere near Bakewell and possibly get some trout fishing in as it's really good there.

I would like to hike a bit but the guy who's coming along isn't capable at the moment so has to be relatively close to where I could park the car for my first test run, but that rules out even more.

Ideally a hike that would take 2 overnight stops in a loop back to the start would be perfect once my buddy is back in full health again.

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Noid View Post
    Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I don't seem to be able to find it anywhere and I can't use the search function on my phone.

I've been looking into a first camp out once I get my gear delivered and I just don't see how it's legally possible over here. There are no official camp sites (that I can find) that cater for hammock use as they are all just big grassy fields full of screaming kids and people driving around (bad past experiences I'm afraid).

The laws are a bit stuff with regard to the very few places that is it legal to go wild camping, they are generally mountainous areas with little or no trees for suspension. I'm a little confused by the prospect at the moment. Hopefully someone can help.

What do other guys from the UK do?

Thanks in advance for any information.
    Just Do It.. But Be Discrete
    Don't get overly worried about where you can camp out... The laws are pretty much the same Europewide: ie: Wild camping is not allowed...
    BUT if you hike out and turn up in a wooded area one hour before sunset and leave one hour after sunrise, the chances of having a problem are very small.
    On private land, you can simply knock on a few doors, or check out locally to you if there is an owner of a local wood who'd let you camp out.
    If you are on public land, be discrete and you should be fine.

The major issue in the UK is the lack of forests... ok there are loads of trees, but I read somewhere that less than 10% of England is now forest. Here in France its nearer 30%. I think your major problem will be finding a forest!!!

cheers
    Gareth

Hammock
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    Modified mummy bag
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotchbonnet View Post
    come to Scotland, wild camping is legal here
    Yeah, I found that. As long as its 100m from a road it seems legal. Bit out of my price range for distance though so it's out for now but would be nice eventually.

Hammock
    HH Explorer asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    If you are discrete you can hang in woods that are seldom visited, and in the local country parks if there is a good wooded area. I do!

But above all stealth camping is about being discrete and most of all 'leaving no trace'. Doing this you can hike and hang in a lot of locations. It is best to look for remote areas free of housing, as if you can see a house they will be able to see you or your lamp/fire/stove at night.

As an alternative if you are a member of an organisation such as Scouts you can hang on their campsites, most week days there are no young ones and its nice and quiet.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    Modified mummy bag
    Well, you have pretty much said what I wanted to hear with the stealth camping type relies so I shall give that a go on my own at some point nearby where I live.

I used to be a scout and have contacts within scouting as my father used to be a leader, so I will ask around there is a really nice site not far from me with plenty of trees and such.

Don't forget the tree-huggers!

Seriously, have a look on BCUK & find a local meet

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    To hang in the UK is a little trickier than in some other parts of the world, especially in the fens where you are!

Personally, I head off somewhere usually-Scotland, the Lake district, Wales or Peak District.

Granted, trees to hang from aren't everywhere in the mountains but you'll find that if you check google earth, theres actually plenty of places to go. We do actually have Hammock nirvana in the uk.

See this thread from Shewie

Scotland is no problem, camping is permitted. Elsewhere, stealth common sense and respect is needed. Leave No trace obviously

If I'm out in the mountains and I can't hang, then I just sleep under the tarp held up on hiking poles and take an airmat-it covers both possibilities for minimal weight.

There are meets organized on BCUK too. The Northwood, Cambridgeshire and Rough Close meets on there are no too far from you and full of friendly faces-you can hang your hammock with others of the same ilk

Were not too far apart, might be able to share a lift somewhere sometime.

Hope this helps

Pete (just down the A16)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast