Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Hiking the AT with JRB Quilts

I'm heading South on the A.T. in July. I'm bringing my JRB BMB Hammock and the Mt. Wash. 4. I figure the MW4 would suffice for the length of the trip, but I'm not sure what to expect (temp. range wise) with the top quilt. I'm debating amongst JRB's top quilts. Would just one of their TQ's be adequate for the length on the trail? Heading South, your hiking into winter months, but at the same time your moving into warmer climate. I also was thinking about my Wiggy's Flexible Temperature Range Sleep System (FTRSS) http://wiggys.com/category.cfm?category=6 . It's 2 sleeping bags, one's for warmer weather, the second is for colder weather. Then when it gets real bitter out, you can zip them together, creating one warm-*** bag. I was conteplating carrying 2 TQ's to mimick the same thing. The added weight wouldn't be the issue, but if it's realistic carrying a UQ & 2 TQ's. Anyone here hike SOBO with JRB's quilts? Or a hammock and quilts of similar nature?

Images
    i was south in august and used my 40 degree jrb stealth. by sept at some point you will need 20 degree (used my go-lit 20 quilt)
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Since quilts are much more "ventable", if you were going to need to 20 degree anyway, wouldn't it make sense to go with that the entire trip?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Since quilts are much more "ventable", if you were going to need to 20 degree anyway, wouldn't it make sense to go with that the entire trip?
    That's what I'm getting at. I only just switched to a hammock this past fall, and winter here this year was fall weather, never getting cold so I haven't been able to try it out. Are the quilts really that ventable? Can you use the High Sierra Sniveller the whole trip, just opening it up in cooler weather?

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies
    if it was me, i would just use a 20 set and vent if needed. if it gets bitter cold, wear all your clothes to bed.

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    I've pushed the JRB below 20*F with the addition of a S2S bag liner .. and wearing down leggings and a down jacket .. I'm an advocate of layering my sleep system as well as my clothing system .. You can also bounce box a 20* and 40* ..
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Images
    I do have a Superfly that gives me great coverage. I just don't want to be shipping quilts back and forth. Also, what if it's warm so I have the lighter tq, but ended up on higher elevation, where it's much colder. So the 20* should be sufficient for the length of the sobo trip?

Images
    What about the 0* High Sierra Sniveller? Would that be comfortable in warmer weather? Say it's 40*-50*, would just wearing your boxers and opening up the quilt work, that way I could have that heavy quilt for when it's really needed? I could even leave the UQ in my pack that night if it's too warm no?
    Last edited by fallkniven; 04-10-2012 at 17:10.

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    my experience has shown that a warm U/Q is more beneficial then a warm T/Q .. it's easier to keep warm with less on top then less on the bottom .. YMMV ..
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Images
    i thing we meant 40 as your low. you will see 85 nites also. the first half you could do with 40 and drop to 0 later on. you say you don't want A mail drop. are you leaving Me with winter clothing also?
    i only sleep in boxers even at o degrees.
    what is you pack weight?
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast