Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Red face Alcohol Stoves at Mt Rogers?

I noticed in one of the MT. Rogers photos what appears to be "alcohol stoves". I just built my first "cat stove" from a tuna can this weekend and it worked great even in the New York weather. I'm afraid I've gotten the stove building bug and plan on making a few different types to see which one works the best. I love the simplicity of it all....not unlike hanging.

I've attempted to attach the photo from the Mt Rogers trip but I'm not exactly sure how to do it. I first downloaded to my computer and then uploaded it to this site using the "attach files" under "additional options". I'm not sure how to place it in the actual message. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

It sounds/looks like you guys had an awesome weekend....really enjoying the pics. I'll be retired in June and hope you join you all in future hangouts.

Miguel
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    There were at least 3 Alcohol stoves in use, mine included. No problems: getting them to light, getting them to stay lit, heating water / food. I used 1/3 Oz more fuel than I usually do, not sure if I actually needed to, I just did. Usually I use 1 Oz, I used 1.33 oz due to the cold. I had hot food both meals that I cooked.

Doctari.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    any jetboils there neo

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Yup, there were three Jetboils - mine, Top's, and Jeff's. There was also one other cannister stove and an esbit.

I guess I thought there were more than just a couple alcohol stoves, because I kind of assumed everyone else was using them...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Yup, there were three Jetboils - mine, Top's, and Jeff's. There was also one other cannister stove and an esbit.

I guess I thought there were more than just a couple alcohol stoves, because I kind of assumed everyone else was using them...
    i love mine,i have the optional camo cozy,i stay at the president of jetboils house in oct 2005 while hiking thru hanover neo

how did they perform below zero

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Mine did great, but I did preheat my canister by sleeping with it the night before or sticking it in my jacket for a few minutes before cooking...then again, that's pretty much any canister.

By the way, I think we're supposed to stay away from non-hammock topics like stoves on this forum. At least that's the idea I got from what Jeff said on another stove thread.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I used a Brasslite Turbo II D and it worked great.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Mine did great, but I did preheat my canister by sleeping with it the night before or sticking it in my jacket for a few minutes before cooking...then again, that's pretty much any canister.

By the way, I think we're supposed to stay away from non-hammock topics like stoves on this forum. At least that's the idea I got from what Jeff said on another stove thread.
    I didn't know we weren't to be talking about other topics. I assumed that what we cook on is just part of the hammocking experience and others would like to know. I guess I'll wrap it up by saying that I built one of James Wood's Super Cat stoves out of a Tuna Fish can and was flabergasted how easy it was to make and how well it works. I just boiled about ten ounces of water, out in the open, in a snowstorm, without a wind screen. I don't know how hard the wind was blowing but suffice it to say it was coming down sideways! The temps were in the low 20s. It never went out. I was impressed to say the least. No priming...now wicking and nothing to fail. You just drilla few holes and light....my kind of stove!

Miguel

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I didn't know we weren't to be talking about other topics. I assumed that what we cook on is just part of the hammocking experience and others would like to know.
    I think the idea is to keep this forum very specific to hammocking, while leaving the other aspects of trail life to Whiteblaze, Hiking HQ, etc. Those are great sites and great resources, and we don't want to move any of the general discussions away from them. We just want a nice place to compile all of the hammocking talk that was sometimes getting lost on those other sites - and voila! Here we have it!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I think the idea is to keep this forum very specific to hammocking, while leaving the other aspects of trail life to Whiteblaze, Hiking HQ, etc. Those are great sites and great resources, and we don't want to move any of the general discussions away from them. We just want a nice place to compile all of the hammocking talk that was sometimes getting lost on those other sites - and voila! Here we have it!
    Within the last few minutes I've read topics ranging from , poison ivy, nightmares to custody battles! Exactly where do we draw the line....or should there really be one. It's feeling a little stuffy in here.

Miguel

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast