Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mummy style sleeping bag with HH?

I'm considering a Hennessy Hammock. I'm considering either the Explorer Deluxe or the Safari Deluxe (because I'm 6'4"). I live in south central WI. I would use the hammock during early spring through late fall. In Wisconsin, night time temperatures during early spring and late fall can easily fall into the 20s. Basically, I would use my Wiggie's Ultra Light sleeping bag while in the hammock during these seasons. It's a 'mummy' style sleeping bag.

I'm wondering if it would be problematic to shift around inside of a bottom entrance hammock while positioning into the mummy style sleeping bag? I'm also a light sleeper. I would probably shift inside the hammock at times during the night. I'm wondering if I would be better off with a side entrance hammock rather than a bottom entrance model?

Does anyone have any opinions on this matter? If you do use a 'mummy' style sleeping bag with your HH, would you mind posting tips and tricks?

Thank you in advance for responding.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1oz or WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG Cuben / DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Nest UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    It's possible to use a mummy style bag in a HH. Many people do. At those temps, you'll still want some extra insulation under you.

As for getting into a sleeping bag in a HH. The best way I've seen is to put a pice of Tyvek, etc. down on the ground (to keep bag clean). Stand by the hammock and get into the bag. Then slip into the HH and sit down. It's much easier that way than trying to get into the bag inside the hammock.

I have a HH, but sent it off to 2QZQ for a zipper mod. I don't use the HH much anymore, but since the zipper mod, I've never once used the bottom entry. Just a personal preference, but thought I'd mention it since you're asking for opinions.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by the2nddeal View Post
    It's possible to use a mummy style bag in a HH. Many people do. At those temps, you'll still want some extra insulation under you.

As for getting into a sleeping bag in a HH. The best way I've seen is to put a pice of Tyvek, etc. down on the ground (to keep bag clean). Stand by the hammock and get into the bag. Then slip into the HH and sit down. It's much easier that way than trying to get into the bag inside the hammock.
    I agree with the method. It worked well for me until I changed hammocks. Another thing to do, if you are using a pad, is place it almost sideways just hedind the slit. Then when you get in, you are sitting on the pad. Now just twist the pad to align with your diagonal lay, then lay down and go to sleep.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by the2nddeal View Post
    Wish I had thought of that.

I have a mummy bag that I've used many times with my Hennessy. I have a bottom entry, but after a year, I sent it in for the zipper mod. The bottom entry remains useable, and I don't know that either entry method makes the mummy bag that much more or less viable. I don't like mummy bags, and getting into a sleeping bag while in the hammock is tricky either way. Once I'm in the hammock, it's hard to access the foot of the hammock with my hands, so the bag always starts out partially zipped, and I have to wiggle into it. Then my mobility is further limited by the nature of the mummy bag, which keeps my legs pinned together. It works. I've done it many times, but really I don't like mummy bags. I just use it because my only rectangular bag, until recently, was a giant, cotton monstrosity only suitable for car camping (and not compact car camping). I look forward to trying out my new, synthetic-insulation, rectangular bag on future trips.

But like the2nddeal says, when it gets too cold, you'll want some other insulation under you. I originally tried a closed cell foam pad, but that never worked out for me. It was difficult for me to stay on top of (many people have more success, though), and one common solution, put it inside your bag, seemed unlikely to work in my narrow mummy bag. My new plan is to keep the underside of the hammock warm using the Super Shelter, and use the sleeping bag as a top quilt. The preferred method of hammock warmth seems to be insulation outside and underneath the hammock and/or a pad inside for bottom warmth with a quilt above you for top warmth, which would involve no wriggling into a sleeping bag. And when the temps drop, a sleeping bag alone won't cut it because you smush the insulation underneath you.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Why bother zipping it? I use a mummy as a top quilt with a pad on the bottom. Works great.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    It depends too on how claustrophobic you get. I'm supposing that if you're ok with a mummy bag in general, you should be ok with it inside an HH as well.

I don't think I would be, but that's just me.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Have you considered the HH Deep Jungle? It is two layers and you can slide in the included double bubble pad. You can then use your mummy like a TQ. I love the soft material of the Deep Jungle. I have the XL and it sure is nice.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    I have used a mummy, semi rectangular, and a rectangular all just fine in my Safari. I put the bag in, and turn it a little so that it's lying diagonal. I unzip it down to near the end of the feet. Sit down and make sure the back of the sleeping bag is lifted up and lean back. I tuck my feet in, get straight with the bag and fold it over. Then zip if necessary. The only real constraint I have seen is that I had to make sure and get a left hand zipper. I had been leaning toward getting a right hand zip after a couple of nights in my ENO, but that won't work with the Safari.

It works fine for me, and I love the bottom entry.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite SideZip
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Nest + SS
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I started out with the Expedition Classic (bottom entry) with Super Shelter and a mummy bag. Warm enough but entry and exit a bit of a pain. Have transitioned to the Hyperlite Side Zip with a 3 season JRB Nest UQ and use a barrel bag unzipped as a quilt. This is a much better combination for my old bones and the SS can be used between the hammock and UQ for those seriously cold nights. Good luck

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    I agree with the method. It worked well for me until I changed hammocks. Another thing to do, if you are using a pad, is place it almost sideways just hedind the slit. Then when you get in, you are sitting on the pad. Now just twist the pad to align with your diagonal lay, then lay down and go to sleep.
    Ditto. This is how I have to do it.
    With beauty all around you, may you walk.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast