Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images

Smallest most compact pad?

I just got in to ultralight backpacking (newbie alert). Figured out that carrying a tarp and hammock sheds a lot of weight and is more compact than the alternative for 3 seasons. However, my first time out with the hammock, I found out the hard way that your backside can get pretty cold since you have no insulation. I've been trying to figure out what will give me the most compact and lightweight pad. I've figured out that the Therm-a-rest Prolite 3 or the Bozeman Mountain Works Torsolite is about as compact as you get without getting too expensive. I'm wanting something that will be able to be packed up and put in to a pouch. Have any ideas about the Gossamer Gear 1/4 Thinlite? It looks pretty flexible but don't know if I can fold in half as well and get it down around the size of one of the self inflating pads. Any input would be appreciated.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The GG Thinlite is a good choice, and can be gotten in a width that is suitable for a hammock. However, the wider ones won't pack down to the same size as the smaller inflatable pads.

You said you were interested in 'lightweight backpacking', not 'low bulk' backpacking, though. With pads, there is often a compromise between the two.

In consideration of your desire for low bulk, and low weight, have you considered an underquilt?

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 07-17-2008 at 21:45. Reason: added welcome
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Reflectix
    a slight bit heavier than 1/4 CCF but will fold in half lengthwise (lets say 12" would be half) and then rolled up. I have one that is a half length at 30" and 25" wide that I use (or will use later in the year) that rolls up to 13x5 or so. You might look into down underquilts as well, as they can weigh less than a Prolite 3. (JrB Hudson River, 19oz)
    hope this helps

Images
    Since you are new, perhaps you should read this:

http://tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html

Then, you can navigate through that tutorial to get answers to some other questions you may have.

Welcome!

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Claytor JH Tarp
    Insulation
    MontBell SS UL #2
    Suspension
    Descender rings
    MontBell AirPad. Don't know if it's available in the US yet, but it is like a beach air matress. Rolls up smaller than the same sized self-inflating mat:

http://en.montbell.jp/products/goods...ategory=229000

HTH,

A

Hammock
    DIY HH
    Tarp
    black cat
    I would check into an underquilt. you can save space with about the same weight as a pad.

I've been working on one of these for a couple weeks just havent had the drive to finish it.

http://www.kickassquilts.com/Make1.html

You can fold evazote in half and lash it to the back of your pack. Speer Hammocks and Oware sell it in wide widths. I trimmed my Oware 40 x 60in pads down to 28in wide. I carried on a summer AT section and it worked fine. Nothing is lighter. A Speer SPE with a Prolite 3 would be more comfortable though. The evazote is so flexible it can bunch up sometimes getting on top of it in the hammock. If you are looking for comfort in a Hennessy though, nothing beats a JRB Nest.

I like the extra wide evazote.. I carry it outside my pack strapped on vertically. I can carry one pad by folding in thirds lengthwise and then rolling it. For two pads, I fold them both in half and roll them lengthwise, resulting in a slightly more annoying arrangement when there are overhanging branches. Either way, I like it a lot despite the bulk. If I could afford to do so, I'd use an underquilt in all conditions, but evazote pads are lightweight, easy to use and versatile as sit pads (though they do tear easily) on ground or snow. I have lately considered making an extra long stuff sack to protect from snagging on branches.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I have been through a bunch of pads for ground and hammock. My favorite for my hammock is my Oware 40 x 60. I'm more concerned with weight than bulk. The Oware is wide and light. You can cut it down to the width that you want and carry on outside of pack. I don't have the GGThinlite but this would be excellent choice as well in the wider width.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Reflectix works very well as an insulator. I recently used it on a 2-night Boy Scout outing. It is nice and lightweight, and rolls up smaller than other pads. However, it slides around ALOT!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast