Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    6.6 oz for a "4 season" tarp? Wouldn't it have to have at least 14 yards of fabric?
    <shrug> I guess a definitive definition of 4S is in order. I tend to take things on faith until proven otherwise. YMMV.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    My 4 S HG tarp before guy lines and RL,,and had it made 12' RL with the doors extented to match the length of the RL weighed 7.4 ozes,,10.5 with all the lines, whoopies, Dutch Flyz on it,,I used Lawsons 2mm glow wire and could decrease weight a little by downsizing to zingit or lashit even.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

6.6 oz for a "4 season" tarp? Wouldn't it have to have at least 14 yards of fabric?
    Here is a link to the HG website which you will find Adam clearly lists the weight of the tarp:

http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/inde...products_id=21

But since the MO lately is for others to do the looking up (I guess google foo kung foo isn't taught anymore) here is the info copied and pasted straight from the source!

Cuben Fiber, a high-performance base non-woven fabric is quickly gaining popularity in the hiking community. Known for its ultralightweight and durability, the 4-Season Cat Cut Cuben Fiber tarp will pack down to 6.5 ounces for 4 panel pull outs and 10 perimeter tie outs. We use 1/2 inch D-Rings on all tie outs.

SPECS: CT1K.08 material

10' 10" ridgeline
    8.5 feet wide

Hex tarps are available - Please call for more information - 740-445-4327
    ~No sewn ridgeline (which means no seam sealing needed)
    ~All guyline reinforcements are bonded and sewn. for maximum strength.

Also who say's (or where does it say) that a 4S (or Four Season) tarp "Has To" have at least 14 yards of fabric used?

Does this also account for the cut of the tarp? The materials used in the making of the tarp?

Sorry all rant over! All smilies implied! Just having a friendly conversation with the addition of fact's, link's, and all that!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    <shrug> I guess a definitive definition of 4S is in order. I tend to take things on faith until proven otherwise. YMMV.

Right but then we need 1S, 2S, 3S, 4S, Steak Season, ohh sorry got carried away!
    Last edited by Cranky Bear; 04-12-2012 at 16:19. Reason: speeling is HORRIBLE, sorry
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Welcome to the club! Love mine. Only wish the side panels were longer but I can swing it. Im just a lil taller than most and have Hunker down in the storm. Mines is dressed out with dynaglide right now. Lil heavier but my Red Zing it snapped in heavy winds the other week and its what I had. With SS and two piece RL, 4 8' guy outs with prussicks, and the doors with 3/32 shock cord Im at about 10.8oz. Yes could be lighter ...Ill wait till I need new cordage. For my doors....the shock cord has a loop tied in it half way with a mitten hook. I an pull the doors back insid and hook to the other doors shock cord loop to manage the doors when not needed. See ya at the pre hike!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I just put snake skins from WL on mine,,and 4 small S biners on the 4 panel pulls with 4 small nylon shock chord loops,,and now the total weight,,6' guy lines 8 total, 15' of RL on each end with Dutch Flys, whoopies for line tensioners for every line including Dutch Flyz, now the total weight is 12.2 oz,,Tarp was made by Adam 12 RL with doors extended to match extended RL,,cat cut RL, with bottom of sides straight, 12.2oz..super pleased! Its alot of tarp for that weight. Have pics posted in other posting below this one.

Quote Originally Posted by 2TallWv View Post
    Lil heavier but my Red Zing it snapped in heavy winds the other week and its what I had.
    It snapped??? Wow I would really like to hear the entire story behind this as I have been using Zing-it/Lash-it for a "LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG" time and in some ruthless n nasty weather and have "Never" had this happen!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I'm not doubting the weight. I asked what 4S stands for, and I guess it is the name of the model of a cuben tarp Hammockworks makes.

I didn't get a response to my assumption that following such such products as Warbonnet's Superfly or the JRB 11 x 10 that 14 yards of fabric would be required for a "4 season tarp", 4 season to me meaning "for winter, too", large enough to close down the ends, and wide enough for headroom after the edges are brought down to the ground to keep cold and snow from blowing through.

I'm sure this is a terrific tarp, more on the lines of a Vincent Black Lightening '52 --pick your favorite version -- than Richard Thompson's MGB GT. For the humor challenged, the song is satire on the delusion that the car was light, fast, and race-worthy. But, with its hard top, it was four season.

If Thompson camped, I'm sure he'd appreciate this HG 4S cuben as something akin to an early Lotus Elite. But, he wouldn't confuse it with the later Type 75, much bigger.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 04-12-2012 at 18:08.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I'm not doubting the weight. I asked what 4S stands for, and I guess it is the name of the model of a cuben tarp Hammockworks makes.

I didn't get a response to my assumption that following such such products as Warbonnet's Superfly or the JRB 11 x 10 that 14 yards of fabric would be required for a "4 season tarp", 4 season to me meaning "for winter, too", large enough to close down the ends, and wide enough for headroom after the edges are brought down to the ground to keep cold and snow from blowing th

I'm sure this is a terrific tarp, more on the lines of a Vincent Black Lightening '52 --pick your favorite version -- than Richard Thompson's MGB GT. For the humor challenged, the song is satire on the delusion that the car was light, fast, and race-worthy. But, with its hard top, it was four season.

If Thompson camped, I'm sure he appreciate this HG 4S as something like an early Lotus Elite.
    4S means HG calls it their 4 Season tarp,,it has doors or wings on the ends that can be shut,,and if you need to,,you can hang low and tie it down to the ground.

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Most cuben tarp vendors Ive talked to shy away from making wider due to the raw fabric deminsions. Be it cost or availabilty Im not sure the reason. So I guess for Cuben Tarp standards it is a 4 Season. When compared to other fabric tarps it does lack in width. But It does make make a fine shelter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast