11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    It snapped??? Wow I would really like to hear the entire story behind this as I have been using Zing-it/Lash-it for a "LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG" time and in some ruthless n nasty weather and have "Never" had this happen!
    I guess I had a really taught RL... also the Dutch Hook had been wearing a little bit in that area with proir use.. was at a home hang. That same spot used many times. I was playing with my new tarp in some 20 mile hour sustained winds and it just popped. Right at the hook. So I use dynglide now. Perhaps I was using the hardware improperly ....had too tight of pitch. But thats what happened.

*** correction It was the Tarp Fly side not the hook.
    Last edited by 2Tall; 04-12-2012 at 18:28.

Quote Originally Posted by 2TallWv View Post
    I guess I had a really taught RL... also the Dutch Hook had been wearing a little bit in that area with proir use.. was at a home hang. That same spot used many times. I was playing with my new tarp in some 20 mile hour sustained winds and it just popped. Right at the hook. So I use dynglide now. Perhaps I was using the hardware improperly ....had too tight of pitch. But thats what happened.

*** correction It was the Tarp Fly side not the hook.

So it broke at the Flyz side, hmmmmmmm! All the hardware from Dutch should be clean with no burrs or any sort of edge, do you think there was abnormal wear caused by the Flyz?

Sorry for the thread drift everyone!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Not sure. I inspected the fly and the only rough or sharp spot is on the hook which you adjust the tension with...y

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    6.6 oz for a "4 season" tarp? Wouldn't it have to have at least 14 yards of fabric?
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    I'm not doubting the weight. I asked what 4S stands for, and I guess it is the name of the model of a cuben tarp Hammockworks makes.

I didn't get a response to my assumption that following such such products as Warbonnet's Superfly or the JRB 11 x 10 that 14 yards of fabric would be required for a "4 season tarp", 4 season to me meaning "for winter, too", large enough to close down the ends, and wide enough for headroom after the edges are brought down to the ground to keep cold and snow from blowing through.
    You need to go back and re-read your post's! You sure did question the weight you put it in quotes with a question mark! Thats what a question mark is for, to question something!

Yes you did get a response as to what the 4S meant and you even stated it in your following post!

Also the Superfly isn't made from .51 Cuben, nor is the JRB! Also nothing has been written in stone as to the exact dimensions that a winter tarp must be! Or how many yards of fabric, it just so happens that the bolt width that Silnylon comes in is wider than Cuben, hence the wider tarp!

Now the other thing one could throw into the mix is the HG Winter Palace!

Here is the link to the search that I did for it!

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...archid=6614846
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TallWv View Post
    Most cuben tarp vendors Ive talked to shy away from making wider due to the raw fabric deminsions. Be it cost or availabilty Im not sure the reason. So I guess for Cuben Tarp standards it is a 4 Season. When compared to other fabric tarps it does lack in width. But It does make make a fine shelter.
    From my understanding. In order to widen a cuben tarp it requires bonding of two pieces of cuben to extend the sides. Laying flat (with no cat cuts) I believe cuben is 8.5 ft wide. That gives you 4.25 ft of coverage on each side. If you want to extend that to lets say 6 or 7 or what ever ft wide (on each side) that means you need to take 2-3 or what ever ft of cuben (plus what everoverlap you have) and bond it to the sides of the tarp. From what I understand that leaves the vendor with a good amount of unusable cuben which the cost reflects back onto the customer. So yes it is very expensive to extend the sides of a cuben tarp but the Winter Palace by HG is a beauty and a tarp I'd love to get my hands on. Maybe one day. However even in winter I have found that 4.25 of side coverage is plenty of coverage even in the nastiest of weathers. Does not give me as much head room but with an 11 ft. RL I have always had plenty of room to do what I need to do under my tarp and stay dry. YMMV
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I tried to order a winter palace off Joe of Zpacks,,and he told me he never wanted to make another one ever again..just telling you what he told me. Now I never asked Adam..but,,in compareson to Adam,,,,,Adam was way much cheaper in price than Joe on making my tarp 12' long RL and then really caught me off guard alittle the day he was beginning to cut the material,,I get a personal call from him suggesting this and that to make the tarp the way he made it,,was really nice!!!!! And personal!!!!! Fantastic service!!!!!! and the way it turned out I am so pleased with. But, I personally think there is more too making a winter palace,,and if these tarp makers do make one for you,,it would only be made during their slow time as its evendently alot harder to make,,and takes alot more material. And costs a big bunch more!

And no disrespect to Zpacks,,as I have spent a couple of hundred this last couple of months with him,,but HG gets my tarp business from now on as I will be ordering another tarp for the wife later on in cuben,, to lighten her load as well.
    Last edited by Acer; 04-12-2012 at 19:51.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Most cuben bolts are approx 4.5ft wide, give or take a few inches as there can be some edging from the manufacturing process that has to be cut off! For this reason is why you see most tarps 8 ft wide (with the widest at 8.5ft respectively) as most have found that they end up cutting off a few inches to make sure it is correct!

If you take a look at Joes site (z-packs) and look at the materials page you will see the bolts of cuben in a couple pic's take a close look at the edge's and you will see either clear or white (or both) which is way off in color from the rest of the material, this is the raw edge that I am referring too!

So when you see a cuben tarp that is wider than 8.5ft what they did was take 3 or 4 pieces (usually 4) and combine them to make it wider!

Hammock
    Traveller/GT Ultralight/Nano 7
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ/MMG IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    My arrived today too, Adam does good work!. I had asked for a modification for Sargent Rock's Shark bite mod. Adam called to verify he understood what I wanted and viewed Sargent Rock's video. There was some delay, since the cuben was on back order. That was Monday, it is here today. Need to head to the woods.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Most cuben bolts are approx 4.5ft wide, give or take a few inches as there can be some edging from the manufacture
    Thanks CB. Makes total sense considering that their is a sewn or taped ridgeline. Thank for clarifications oopps on my part
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    A four-season tarp and a four-season Cuben tarp are two different things, in my opinion. As mentioned before, Cuben fiber fabric width is an issue and I understand why the vendors don't want to do "custom" jobs wider than 8.5 feet. It's a lot more labor intensive.

I would call my HG 4S Cuben Fiber tarp a minimalist four-season lightweight tarp, but that's just me. I tried to talk Adam into making me one like Water Monkey's, but he wasn't too keen on the idea. He was perfectly willing to make it longer, but wider is a pain.

I guess you'd have to try making a wider one yourself to feel the vendor's pain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast