Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    I will echo the echo's of others. I had already been hanging for about 5 yrs before finding this site, using a stock HH for the better part of 3 seasons. After finding this site, I now can use my hammock comfortably year round with out carrying a ton of gear. I have upgraded tarps and suspension systems and really see the benefits behind the changes . I also contemplated making equipment,but didnt even know where to start. After seeing HC4U DIY ASYM, I was blown away. Now I have my wifes sewing machine in the family room trying to make some stuff sacks as the precursor to making a Hammock system. Thanks everyone.

More importantly was the kindness and kinship I have experienced. I look forward to meeting a bunch of you in Sept at the MAHHA.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I have to agree that we have a great bunch of people here (except Hooch ).......
    Well you can just go take a hike, mister. And I hope you enjoy it!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    For my 500th post, I want to say "Thank You" to all those who have given advice, posted their tricks and tips, set up group buys, posted articles and instructions, pictures from trips, sold equipment and just generally behaved like Human Beings over the past year. The online environment here is so different than any other site I've visited, and it is greatly appreciated. Without the Moderators (thanks, Slowhike, HCFU and AngrySparrow) we have here, without Attroll, without the vendors that have visited and posted and people like Jeff (JustJeff) and Grizz, Preacha Man and Cavediver2, Neo and FanaticFringer, mikeinfhaz, NCPatrick and Gunn Parker, Ramblinrev, Annie, Canoebie, Knowledgeengine, SKSkinner, Alex30808, txulrich, TiredFeet, Hooch, 6 feet over, schrochem, shug, BillyBob58, stoikurt, happycamper, Coffee, Warbonnetguy, Narwhalin, Youngblood and anyone else I haven't mentioned - without all of you, this site would not be the same. And to all the new members, enjoy your newfound obsession! There is a wealth of knowledge and great advice here, and if you tag an article when you find it, it will be easier for you or others to find it the next time you do a search (click on "edit tag" at the bottom of the thread - it's easy.)

Once again, "Thank You All" for the conversations and the gear, and for helping foster this unhealthy obsession with all things hammocky!
    awesome bro we are glad you are hereneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Happy 500th post. Glad I could play a small part in your learning curve.
    Happy hanging.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    allow me to echo those feelings.. this place rocks, and without you great people I might just be hunkered down under some flimsy tarp wondering if the mouse that just ran across my face has hanta virus...
    three cheers for HF!
    now thats funny.a buddy of mine that has thru hiked the AT twice told me that a mouse ran across his face in a trail shelter and it peed in his eyeneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    now thats funny.a buddy of mine that has thru hiked the AT twice told me that a mouse ran across his face in a trail shelter and it peed in his eyeneo

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
    Thank you FishinFinn for the help you have given! This forum has helped transform my hiking (and saved me money...kinda). Thanks to all that make this site possible!

How true...
    There is no possible way this site could save you money! It just gives you more ideas for projects to work on, and ways to spend your money more efficiently, which just makes you spend more. I guess you can save by avoiding mistakes by learning from other peoples misfortunes.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    allow me to echo those feelings.. this place rocks, and without you great people I might just be hunkered down under some flimsy tarp wondering if the mouse that just ran across my face has hanta virus...
    three cheers for HF!
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    I too as a newbie have so enjoyed this group. I really laughed when I read this. For me, I was bitten by a black widow spider last fall in my tent. It was a horrid experience. I wanted to find a better way, where critters from the ground could not bed with me when I zipped and unzipped. I really do feel less vulnerable (accurate or not) in my hammock, one of the major motivators for me to consider the switch from ground dwelling.
    There's nothing like wildlife adventures on the trail, is there? One of my major reasons for getting off the ground was critters (besides the other reasons of mud, rocks, roots and smelly, noisy tentmates.) New thread starting - wildlife adventures on the trail!

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    There is no possible way this site could save you money! It just gives you more ideas for projects to work on, and ways to spend your money more efficiently, which just makes you spend more. I guess you can save by avoiding mistakes by learning from other peoples misfortunes.
    Amen brother. I need to buy stock in Jacks'R'Better.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It is no exaggeration to say this site got me back on the trails. Prior to my shift to hanging I was seriously considering getting rid of all my gear. I just was not going to be able to deal with the ground anymore. I got a great deal on a HH and some very frustrating first attempts at making it work. All the usual stuff, butt plants in the ground by morning. That kind of thing. I was pleased to see I was not the only one. I felt like something had to be wrong with my use of pads in the hammock. Again I was pleased to see I was not a freak. I am back to looking forward to getting out again because I don't have to climb up from the ground every morning and several times at night. Bending a tent pole because you fall on it is not an encouraging experience.

I finally built a hammock stand for the back yard. Now I have a place to play without leaving home. Oh yeah... I have been bit but good.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast