Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor JH Stock

How to hang Claytor JH?

This is my first hammock, and I just got it in the mail today. I took it outside to test it out, expecting there to be some directions, but there wasn't. I studied it and still couldn't figure it out, and the various videos and instructions I've found online are for different setups.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor JH Stock
    I've got the hammock set up according to this page:

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html

But it doesn't seem sturdy, probably because of my inexperience tying these knots, and I don't know how to set up the bugnet and tarp properly

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    The DD Hammock is almost the same design as the Claytor. On thier website they have a video of some guy named Pablo is does a decent job of showing how to hang the hammock and bug net. I'm not sure I agree with his knot choice, but it holds him just fine. Best bet is to play with it(after all its a new toy) and see what feel best for you.

I own a Hennessey and I stink at knots. I am not sure what knot I am using 1/2 the time and I have never landed on my butt.....yet.

http://www.ddhammocks.com/tips.php

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kshatriya View Post
    I've got the hammock set up according to this page:

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html

But it doesn't seem sturdy, probably because of my inexperience tying these knots, and I don't know how to set up the bugnet and tarp properly
    Well, in my experience, if you tie those bowline and 2 slippery half hitches as directed on the web site, it will be very secure. I weigh over 200 lbs and it has never slipped at all. I do add a carabiner between the bowline and half hitch, just to prevent any "burn" on the webbing from any fraction of an inch slippage. But I'm not sure it is really needed. Go to http://www.animatedknots.com/ for more details on tying these knots. The only problem you are likely to have is water wicking down the line into the hammock. Putting knots in the line will probably stop the water ( it did for me ), or just change to other webbing and a cinch buckle or rings. And or add some drip lines.

As for the net, did yours come with some elastic or a nylon cord through the webbing attachment points on each end? If not, add a loop on each end. Then, just halfhitch a line around the loop and run it to something ( if possible, after adding some sticks as spreader bar between the net/webbing loops), run it to the ( EDIT) TARP suspension line or the tree, if you don't have a loop under the hammock to attach to. If you run it outside the hammock, again you will need to find a way to stop water from running down the line into the hammock.

Enjoy, and welcome to hammocking! You have started with one of several excellent hammocks, one of the best.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-17-2008 at 13:35.

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor JH Stock
    I got the hammock up with those knots and after playing with it some, it's alright, so I retied them a couple of times to get used to it. I've never had to tie anything more complicated than my shoes, haha.

Yes, the bugnet came with elastic through the loops and I just did as you suggested, and half-hitched them to the trees. I may try some sticks to give some more room inside the hammock, but should I put the elastic through all of the loops, which is how it came, or should I just put it through the center loop, the way it's done in the posted video? Pablo's way seems like it would put less strain on the netting between those loops.

Now the tarp is the problem. I tried just stringing them to the trees with simple knots, but it came up with too much slack. Any tips or videos on that? I think the trees I chose to practice with are too close, so I've got to move it when I head back out there.

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    Here is a website that shows a variety of knots in an animation format.

www.animatedknots.com

Images
    Now the tarp is the problem. I tried just stringing them to the trees with simple knots, but it came up with too much slack. Any tips or videos on that? I think the trees I chose to practice with are too close, so I've got to move it when I head back out there.
    I mostly use a (slippery) truckers hitch - http://www.animatedknots.com/trucker...matedknots.com
    - which makes it simple to get the tarp ridge line quite tight. In fact, due to the 3-1 leverage of this knot, be careful not to over do it. I have also used the small Nietze (sp?) fig 9 devices, and they work quite well. Or, I do a Speer style 4 wrap knot with the tarp if the tree is not to thick. Or, a round turn and 2 half hitches:
    http://www.animatedknots.com/roundtu...matedknots.com

Good luck, have fun learning.

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    ...should I put the elastic through all of the loops, which is how it came, or should I just put it through the center loop, the way it's done in the posted video? ...
    Keep the elastic through all the loops. It will be less likely to tip to one side or the other. Having sticks through the loops spreads the net and gives you more room inside.

Great choice, you'll love it!

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor JH Stock
    I'm still working with the tarp, I'll try that truckers knot tomorrow, but it looks too complicated.

Does anyone know where I can find some instructions on snakeskins? They seemed obvious to install and use, but I couldn't get them to tuck over the hammock nicely. The tapered ends are to small to fit the hammock into.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    This is my first hammock, and I just got it in the mail today. I took it outside to test it out, expecting there to be some directions, but there wasn't. I studied it and still couldn't figure it out, and the various videos and instructions I've found online are for different setups.

Can someone point me in the right direction?
    best thing to do is convert to the ring buckle set up,much more user friendlyneo
    the matrix has you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast