Tarp
    OES 4 Season 11x10
    Insulation
    MB Bag, Neo-Air
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Planning a trip to Scotland

Hey folks,

My better half and I are getting married late September and want to take our honeymoon in Scotland. We'll be there for about two weeks and while I'm planning on the usual honeymoon wining and dining, we'd really like to do some backpacking while there. This is where I hope I can get some help. What areas/trails should we consider. I'm planning on bringing the hammocks, but I'm not limited to strictly hanging. We're looking for a multiday (5-7 day hike) and we're both fairly experienced backpackers (although she's never been out more than 3 days at a time).

Also, what type of weather should we expect in late Sept-early October? Thanks in advance! Any info will be greatly appreciated, I'm just a little overwhelmed with all the options starting out.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    I can't help you much with the info, but congrats! and enjoy your trip!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WBBB BMJ
    Insulation
    AHE LR, Enlightene
    congrats on the marriage, you should just go ahead and sell all the stuff that you enjoy messing with now LOL just kidding, I don't know where i would be without my wife!

no help on the trip part but i'm sure it will be fun, hiking or no hiking. I've been through Shannon a few times but never had more than a few hours layover there. it's pretty looking from the airport windows though!

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Scotland in September; expect anything from 30 degrees c in the sun, to hail, snow rain and gales in one day!

The past few years have seen relatively mild autumns, so your in with a good chance

I'm lucky in that I've seen lots of Scotland, theres some stunning places.

My favourite area though is the Cairngorms National Park. Its the highest land mass in the country and sub arctic too. Lots of huge Caledonian pines to hang from and cracking scenery.

Check out these threads on the area;
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=cairngorms

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=cairngorms

Its possible to link lots of the remaining patches of ancient forest by crossing the mountains.

I'd start somewhere North of Aviemore, spend a couple of days getting to the start of the Cairngorms and then cross them, heading for Braemar. Theres some good ground dwelling to be had at Loch Avon on the beach, and Glen Geusachan on a lovely area of grass.

The Lairig Ghru and Lairig an Laogh are long paths that you may want to do, that also link these 2 small towns.

On a 7 dayer up there, I'll typically ground dwell 2 nights, 5 nights in the hammock.

Pete.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralite zip mod
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Winter Nest
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Congrats on the wedding, and the excellent choice of honeymoon location Here in Dumfries and Galloway we have trees, lots of trees and miles of beautiful coastline, we also have the Southern Upland Way, a west to east hiking trail some of which I was planning on doing myself later on in the year. But my choice would be the Western Isles and Argyll and Bute, I have family on Loch Fyne and friends near Dunoon. Beware the midges though, but at that time of year you should be OK, also if you do find yourself there have fun with trying to pronouce the place names
    You'll have a blast wherever you go, enjoy the whisky and bring a jumper
    “The censorious said she slept in a hammock and understood Yeats's poems, but her family denied both stories.”
    ― Saki, The Chronicles of Clovis

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    I haven't gotten there yet, but here's a website that might be of interest http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/. Congrats on the wedding and heres praying that the honeymoon is a fortnight to remember. We'll look forward to a special trip report on this one!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fibre
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Linn of Dee area is hammock heaven for me.

The West Highland Way (100 miles) is a good walk for 5-7 days or so.

Hammock
    ENO Pronest w/ Continuous Loop
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season 11x10
    Insulation
    MB Bag, Neo-Air
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for all the well wishes folks! I would've replied sooner but I was out on the river all weekend.

I appreciate everyone's input... it definitely helps to narrow my focus down a little bit. I'll have to do some more research and will probably be posting a few questions for the locals as they come up.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that my family is originally from Scotland. My last name is McFadyen and as far as I know, the name can be traced to somewhere on the Isle of Islay. According to this link, there were many that came over to the US in the past and settled around the Cape Fear region of NC close to Fayetteville. I think it would be really neat to maybe meet some other McFadyen's while I'm there. Although, I may be trying to fit too much into one trip for that.

Anyway, I gotta get back to work, but did want to post a big thank you to all the replies. Keep'em coming!

• + New Posts