Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why the knot and NOT the toggle?

I have looked but can't seem to find out the answer to this obviously very important point everyone seems to make when discussing the use of whoopie slings on a toggle. I'm guessing that it might slip off somehow? I am somewhat of a rebel so I suppose I could always just try it? I would like to know though.

While I'm on a roll here, I found this video showing how to make a whoopie sling. Great vid by one of the members, but was wondering if there are others? Also, are there any mods people have done to improve on them, like a bead to keep it from escaping the bury? Always good to get as much information as possible!

Thanks for answering this noobs questions.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    On the toggle works fantastic for sleeping on the ground....

simply the toggle is not nearly strong enough to take the weight, it just holds the knot. when you put it on the knot the webbing takes the full weight and only puts compressive force on the toggle.

Hammock
    Dutchware knotty mod
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    Straps currently
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by moseng View Post
    I have looked but can't seem to find out the answer to this obviously very important point everyone seems to make when discussing the use of whoopie slings on a toggle. I'm guessing that it might slip off somehow? I am somewhat of a rebel so I suppose I could always just try it? I would like to know though.
    Just try it...

Carbon fiber toggle.

it transfers the tension from the whoopie to the webbing without crushing or bending or breaking the toggle itself.

I will also say that cut down aluminum gutter nails make great toggles, they are relatively light, very cheap, not slippery, and "will bend and not break." (lame quote)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I a new convert to whoopie slings myself. You were asking about improvements... Instead of a bead to keep from sucking the loop into the bury, I use the whipping knot demonstrated by Grizz around 4 minutes into his video for a Hardware Free Detachable Hammock suspension. Look for professorhammock on YouTube. It keeps the loop and you can slide the whipping knot up towards the hitch to keep the loop from popping off the MSH once suspension is unloaded. This is his idea & it works like a charm.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    For the most part, that warning revolves around an improperly tied MSH. If the initial loop is turned down away from the tree and the tail is pulled through (improperly tied), the line's tail can be pulled through with the toggle. By making sure the loop is on the knot, it eliminates this possible failure.

Properly tied, with the initial loop turned up towards the working line, also eliminates the possible failure. In that case, with a solid toggle, it isn't an issue whether the loop is around the knot or the toggle.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    One other note about tying the Marlinspike hitch incorrectly (initial loop turned down or away from the support upright as Alamosa indicated) is that besides being very difficult to keep the whoopie sling loop on the knot rather than the toggle, the knot pulls down VERY tightly on the toggle itself, and even after the toggle is removed (difficult) the knot itself is very tight and difficult to make release. I suspect that the knot being tied incorrectly or backwards in other words, is the reason that lighter toggles get crushed and bent, when other people have no trouble with the same type toggle or even lighter ones. Tying the hitch correctly is extremely important. There are many videos on how to tie it correctly. Here is a link to one of the best videos on tying the hitch by one of our own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Yvvt39Luk

Do it right and enjoy. Do it wrong and have issues, possibly landing on the old buttocks!!
    Last edited by waddy; 04-12-2012 at 18:06. Reason: Add video link
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    On my first try with whoopies & a toggle I ended up on my back on the ground, dropping 2'. It held just long enough for me to get flat & then it popped off. Every time on the knot. Sometimes I fret about not being far enough away from the toggle.

The only point of the toggle is to keep your loop from sliding off the line.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    'Cause at 4:55 this fella said so...

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Ripstop w/ Knotty Mod
    Tarp
    DIY & WL Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    normally I run a pair of camp usa nano 23g biners to connect my whoopies/tree straps but recently picked up a pair of absurdly light carbon fiber toggles. I normally run the toggles with a MSH but I remember seeing a graphic where the whoopie just loops over the toggle like below. I "tested it" today but I don't know if I would trust this. Would you trust it?

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by thesergeant View Post
    normally I run a pair of camp usa nano 23g biners to connect my whoopies/tree straps but recently picked up a pair of absurdly light carbon fiber toggles. I normally run the toggles with a MSH but I remember seeing a graphic where the whoopie just loops over the toggle like below. I "tested it" today but I don't know if I would trust this. Would you trust it?
    I had this very thought today, but had never actually seen it done before. My thought was that it would probably be fine under constant pressure, but while moving in the hammock, entering/exiting the hammock, etc. that the loading/unloading of pressure on the whoopie loop on the webbing would allow it to slip or worse, allow the toggle to slip out.

I don't think I would trust it overnight.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast