Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Adjustable Structural Ridgeline

Hi,

I am a new hammock camper and I just switched my DN to whoopie sling suspension. I also got an ASR but I don't know where to attach it to. Can someone help me out? Do you thread the eyes of the ASR through the whoopie slings or do you use like an s-biner and connect those eyes to the eyes of the whoopie slings? Pictures would be awesome if you have any too.

Thanks

Greg

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WBBB BMJ
    Insulation
    AHE LR, Enlightene
    i attached my whoopie slings by running it through the channel of the hammock then i just ran it through the SRL loop, then i ran the WS back through the channel again and larks headed the whoopie sling.

let me know if that makes sense, i suck at explaining things LOL

yeah it does. it took me a second to understand it, but i've got it now. do you run both ends of the whoopie sling through the SRL or just the adjustable or fixed end?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    You can also make a loop---8 inches? and then make a prussic knot around your whoopie sling line near the hammock. That way you can adjust the srl up and down the whoopie as you need---justs gives you another adjustment to use when dialing in!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WBBB BMJ
    Insulation
    AHE LR, Enlightene
    Quote Originally Posted by gsimp18 View Post
    yeah it does. it took me a second to understand it, but i've got it now. do you run both ends of the whoopie sling through the SRL or just the adjustable or fixed end?
    i found it easier to run the adjustable loop end through the hammock channel. i used the bead on the whoopiesling to slide it through.

there's a video on youtube about how to install the whoopieslings on ENO hammocks

here it is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXlwPKoKw9Q

Hammock
    Eno double nest
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    UCRS
    Quote Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
    i found it easier to run the adjustable loop end through the hammock channel. i used the bead on the whoopiesling to slide it through.

there's a video on youtube about how to install the whoopieslings on ENO hammocks

here it is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXlwPKoKw9Q
    when you untie the stock rope, tape the woopie sling to one end of the stock rope, when you pull it through to remove it, you also pull the whoopie sling through...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl/Switchback
    Tarp
    MacCatDlx/Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE UQs+20burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle+Dutch
    Curious how the ASR worked out for y'all? I've seen some comments on the forums that it's not really effective if you're over 6', but I want to give it a try nonetheless (I'm 6'4'') to see if I can get a good diagonal lay. Opinions?

Diddo that!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bobson View Post
    Curious how the ASR worked out for y'all? I've seen some comments on the forums that it's not really effective if you're over 6', but I want to give it a try nonetheless (I'm 6'4'') to see if I can get a good diagonal lay. Opinions?
    I did my first hang a month ago and the other guy was torqing his SN as tight as he could get it, no ASR. I did the same with my DN and it was fairly comfortable but think the ridgline and sag would make it better. I'm 6'-2 what is a good ridgeline length to start with?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Height may be related to SRL length and sag, but not in a way I can recall has been posted here.

To the OP:
    The SRL made in the form of a whoopie could go through the channel at one end. It is more easily larks headed through the rope loop or whoopie loop that is larks headed in the the channel. The other end will need a carabiner or soft shackle or short strong rope with a knot.

While it is usual practice for the SRL to be connected to the ends of the hammock, there is no reason for it NOT to be connected to rings or some other points in the suspension beyond the end of the hammock.

For SRL length, when adjusted: The length is some proportion of numerator SRL length to (denominator) hammock length

What counts as the denominator is the length of [hammock + rope] between ends of the SRL. Connect at the channels and the "rope" drops out, is zero. Denominator = hammock length

Often recommended as a starting point is 83% = 5/6 of whatever that is. It is likely you will find comfort within a few % of that either way. 90% is tightly strung, with ridges under the legs likely, along with tightness in the shoulder. That % is strung and loaded. AFTER the stretch in both. 78% will let most get comfortable in a curled up position

If the hammock is a 10ft =120" and the SRL is connected at the channels, then a SRL of 100 inches will be 5/6 the length.

If your hammock is short (and sweet) as mine are, then you may wish to connect a SRL at some points beyond the end of the hammock. Keeps the SRL out of your face. I have continuous loops in the channels of an 8'=96" hammock.The total length of hammock + extended loops comes to 110". That is where the SRL is attached. I am comfortable with a ridge-line adjusted to about 83" + 8 ", about 92".
    Last edited by DemostiX; 05-17-2012 at 11:56.

Hammock
    Grey Goose DIY
    Tarp
    JRB or AHE
    Insulation
    Top & under quilts
    Suspension
    Straps & woopies
    DemostiX as a newbie I am confused about the length is it a % of the length of the hammock laying flat or hung so it forms an arc?
    To the pessimist the glass is half empty, to the optimist half full. To the engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast