WB BlackBird DL 1.1, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Modified Chinook
    Insulation
    UQ Incubator 20'
    Suspension
    Dutch & WBBB setup

question on side zip

Have been contemplating my first hammock buy (actually second buy since I just purchased a HH scout from a member here for my son), but this one is for me. I'm 5'6" 190lbs. Anyways, on the side zip how far do they zip on the side? All the way from one end to the other or just half way? If its all the way can it be unzipped and pulled out of the way(tied up to the ridgeline?).

Also, how hard is it to mod myself like the 2qzq mod? I have a home thread puncher and am pretty decent with it. I have an older tent that I could rob some zippers from. Also, does anyone have any closeup pics of that mod? Just so I can see what it looks like.

I also take it that this is a single layer. How does this work out for adding a pad under you for warmth?
    Last edited by camoxjeep; 04-13-2012 at 00:38.

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by camoxjeep View Post
    Have been contemplating my first hammock buy (actually second buy since I just purchased a HH scout from a member here for my son), but this one is for me. I'm 5'6" 190lbs. Anyways, on the side zip how far do they zip on the side? All the way from one end to the other or just half way? If its all the way can it be unzipped and pulled out of the way(tied up to the ridgeline?).

Also, how hard is it to mod myself like the 2qzq mod? I have a home thread puncher and am pretty decent with it. I have an older tent that I could rob some zippers from. Also, does anyone have any closeup pics of that mod? Just so I can see what it looks like.

I also take it that this is a single layer. How does this work out for adding a pad under you for warmth?
    The zipper runs the full length of one side, so it can be pulled over the ridgeline and sort of pushed to one side, but due to the shape of the hammock and the way it's stitched onto the other side, it doesn't roll away all that nicely. Hence the need for the 2QZQ mod! As for that, I haven't tried doing any more sewing than sewing patches onto uniforms or sewing sutures, and those are by hand, so I can't speak to the ease or difficulty of the mod. I do know that ZQ does quality work. Check their website, I think they have closeup pics. The gallery section might have some as well.

The pad for warmth is a great way to take the HH down several extra degrees depending on the pad and your sleeping style. Some people report that the pads slip and add an additional 'fiddle factor' - this is dependent on the type of pad. There are ways around these issues. Best way to determine how it will work for you is to try it. I use a thermarest neo-air pad, underinflate it significantly, and lay on it without problems. Before I bought a top quilt, I used a sleeping bag for a TQ, and did the same thing. You can do the same thing with a CCF pad. I should also mention that I now have an underquilt as well. (Both TQ and UQ from HammockGear have improved my experience immensely, but they are not required. YMMV, HYOH). In other words, there is more than one way to defur a feline.
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

S487-132

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    The zipper goes all the way from one end to the other end.

The side zips are offered in the single and double layers Hennessys.

I use an Exped Downmat 9 LW, and it is very warm and does not slip out from under me. I have not used a CCF pad yet, but I am sure others will chime in.

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy64 View Post
    The zipper goes all the way from one end to the other end.

The side zips are offered in the single and double layers Hennessys.
    IIRC, the Deep Jungle is Hennessy's only DL hammock, and only comes in side zip for that reason. Every other HH is a single layer hammock.
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

S487-132

Hammock
    WB BlackBird DL 1.1, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Modified Chinook
    Insulation
    UQ Incubator 20'
    Suspension
    Dutch & WBBB setup
    Quote Originally Posted by OldScout View Post
    IIRC, the Deep Jungle is Hennessy's only DL hammock, and only comes in side zip for that reason. Every other HH is a single layer hammock.
    That's the answer I was looking for on the SL or DL.

Also, would the snake skins work on other hammocks? thanks
    Last edited by camoxjeep; 04-13-2012 at 08:15.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    The snakeskins should work just fine on other hammocks.

What they won't do, however, is accommodate a topquilt or underquilt packed together with the hammock (at least, not in my experiences with synthetic quilts made out of poncho liners).

They're good for what they are, which is a quick and easy way to set your hammock up by itself while keeping it dry.

• + New Posts