Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    25% chance this yr. Better enjoy life or change jobs. Is do both. I climbed many yrs, carried a gun and badge, crashed motorcycles, now I just hang out and read. Well I still ride.

Continue to ride, I very much second that!

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I use 1/8" in a version of the single line suspension (SLS) and it feels really solid.

Hang in there, DemostiX.

Last edited by MDSH; 02-17-2013 at 15:53.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY 11-1/2' Argon w/knotty
    Tarp
    WB SuperFLY
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ+ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Ok, so I got in on the low price of $.15 a foot on the 7/64 (really 3/32 I here) rope buy last month. But I was irritated with the backorder it is on now and contacted WM to see if they could help me. They offered the 1/8 at the same price of $.15 a foot.

http://www.neropes.com/product.aspx?...c&lid=3&pid=15

Should I take this deal to make the usually ucr, whoopies, ridgeline.

Will it work as in the buries?
    Is it to much weight difference?

Or just wait till March probably for backorder to come in?

They are letting me still buy the 7/64 order also. We are talking 150' of each diameter potentially?

Let me know thoughts!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    It should splice the same. Your link shows the 1/8" is 4.4 grams/meter heavier so do the math and see if you think having a rope that is 2.8 times as strong is worth the difference.

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    .....until a new piece of metal hardware cuts some of those stands.

Hammockers are doing silly things that would have them dropped from climbing groups.

Maybe it is from living with someone who actuarially has a 25% chance of dying before the year ends that has me further regard with some alarm behavior you would not want your kids to engage in. Surviving this week and this month does not lead a thinking person to infer immortality. I can go out soon and suspend my hammock from 100lb test Dyneema fishing line, and almost certainly will not drop tonight or this week. That will not make it safe to do so in the long run or right for me to pass those lines on to someone else "just for one night."

Standard recommendation of safe working load for human support is 11-15 times breaking strength. OP: Don't let anyone talk you out of using less than what you think is safe. 7/64" or 1/8" are standard, and you should still regularly inspect your line.

And I haven't touched on how Dynaglide (and Stein throw-line) comes to be relied on as 50% stronger than same-weight and same fiber Zing-It and Lash-It.
    Ya big difference being climbing you are counting on others and others are counting on you. Kinda of confused how supporting 200-300 with two ropes capable of holding basicall at least 1200 a piece is risky???
    Or even comparable to climbing 10-200 feet off the ground.
    If your basing life off those safety margins I assume your car has 50airbags and you always wear steal toes.
    A little humor but seriously.

Hammock
    DIY 11-1/2' Argon w/knotty
    Tarp
    WB SuperFLY
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ+ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    It should splice the same. Your link shows the 1/8" is 4.4 grams/meter heavier so do the math and see if you think having a rope that is 2.8 times as strong is worth the difference.
    After you say that GMCTTR, I can get 150' of 1/8 for 22.5$ & I can get 150' of 7/64for 22.5$... That's a bunch of cord

I can use the 1/8 for home stuff( ridgeline, boom stake cord anchor line ....etc), and then get the 7/64 for hiking use ridgeline..etc.

Am I missing something, there is good purpose for the 1/8 that cheap isn't there?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsx-rboy750 View Post
    Ya big difference being climbing you are counting on others and others are counting on you. Kinda of confused how supporting 200-300 with two ropes capable of holding basicall at least 1200 a piece is risky???
    Or even comparable to climbing 10-200 feet off the ground.
    If your basing life off those safety margins I assume your car has 50airbags and you always wear steal toes.
    A little humor but seriously.
    The load is a function of the angle, and can be easily twice as large for a tightly hung hammock as the weight of the occupant easily. You always want a large, large, safety margin, 4 to 10 size the load.

Larger cord is easier to handle, but yes, strength is pretty much proportional to weight per length.

Surprised to see same price for both weights of cordage, as price is usually directly proportional to weight of total fiber and therefor the strength, which is about proportional to weight, within construction type,
    Last edited by DemostiX; 02-08-2014 at 00:25.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    For what it's worth there is a milspec rescue kit that contains 3.3mm (1/8") dyneema line for rapelling. It's single use and you can't stop in a hurry without damaging it to the point where it might not hold up to the dynamic load of a second stop. This is intended for self rescue out of high buildings by big guys with heavy gear.

My point is that I don't think hanging relatively statically 18" from the ground with 2 whoopie slings is a major concern for any of the ropes we are discussing. Tests have shown that dyneema has incredible abrasion resistance - ropes may get pulled and stretched such that a section effectively becomes unbraided, yet the tensile strength is barely affected.

220lb of man and gear, hanging at a 20 degree angle would only exert 330lb on each sling. That leaves a factor of safety of 3 if they are rated at 1000lb each. I'd accept that for 18". (That angle allows for 6' high hang points on trees 25' apart.) Sure, you could be stupid, go for a 5 degree hang angle and immediately exceed that 1000lb rating, but that would be...stupid.

Would I climb on it? I'll stick with 22.2kN above shoulder height thanks.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    genixia: If I could stop everyone from thinking an 18" drop will result in no damage I would search for the post of someone here who dropped no further and who wound up in the hospital for treatment and suffered for a time after the incident.

Your other points, citing engineered practice, are well worth noting.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 02-08-2014 at 01:47.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast