Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks Gary! Really appreciate your comment. Very much along the lines of what i've been thinking recently. I'm getting to that point where I'm getting a pretty angry. I did a lot of research looking for the right tarp and all i heard was great things about the Maccat line. People have mentioned that Brian can be a bit hard to get onto but i didn't realise that it would be this bad. Plus Brian and OES seem very well respected in the hammocking community and being new to the forums and hammock camping i didn't want to push any buttons so to speak, on how I'm starting to really feel about this situation. Some people have had great communication with Brian and others not so much. I'm a pretty patient bloke and i honestly would have understood if he was running behind schedule. But all he has to do is let me know. Maybe the package has been sent as i write this...? Who knows! ha. But as of right now i still have no idea what's going on. I am still looking forward to my tarp. I will still continue you try and contact him. And i guess all i can do is wait! The only problem is that next time i buy a tarp I may have to look at other options. Sorry if I'm sounding negative but this has been going on for over 2 months and 1 week! Thanks again Gary.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    Hey Adam, yeah I know it's tough- I would be angry too! I would try PMing him via the forum.

I guess a lot of people have a soft spot for Brian as they have known him since he was in highschool and cranking out tarps- I think he's got a bit of a backlog since he has moved to a new demanding job and has many orders that got missed. That doesn't excuse his slack communication.
    However he does have a bomb product and a long association with the hammocking world and this forum, which is why people speak about him in glowing terms. He's let himself down with the communication issue, I think.

PM him, try his email, and see what happens. He probably will have more time for OES stuff on the weekend. Hopefully he'll get back to you soon.

TH (happy maccat shipped to Aus customer from a few years back.)
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Thanks titanium hiker. I've been sending messages via hammock forums and emails. Hopefully being the weekend he will have time to read them. Still looking forward to this tarp! Thanks

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryBunk View Post
    I know before I ever type a word I'm going to be the bad guy, having said that here goes. For those of you either in business or trying to be in business do everyone a favor and make a decision. I don't know why anyone should be made to feel bad that they bought and paid for something and didn't receive it and can't get a response. I'm a business owner and people expect me to communicate and follow thru or I'm out of business. It seems as thought Adam did his part, he ordered an item and PAID FOR IT and all he expected was some timely communication and the item/items he PAID FOR. Why would anyone do business with someone who is part time here and can't/won't communicate with someone that paid for an item? Does anyone here buy groceries at a store where you don't get all you paid for? Anyone have phone service that only works sometime? I went through something similar in February trying to purchase a tarp. One thing I have learned if you have to beg someone to sell you something don't expect things to get better if you have a problem. If you want to know what service is, buy something from Marty at WL. He doesn't just provide a quality product at a fair price he services his customer. You aren't just satisfied, your **** glad you did business with him, as it should be. And just a closing thought, when it's not your money or your merchandise one might think twice before criticizing someone that has does everything right and just wants his stuff. Wow I sure feel better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Thanks Gary! Really appreciate your comment. Very much along the lines of what i've been thinking recently. I'm getting to that point where I'm getting a pretty angry. I did a lot of research looking for the right tarp and all i heard was great things about the Maccat line. People have mentioned that Brian can be a bit hard to get onto but i didn't realise that it would be this bad. Plus Brian and OES seem very well respected in the hammocking community and being new to the forums and hammock camping i didn't want to push any buttons so to speak, on how I'm starting to really feel about this situation. Some people have had great communication with Brian and others not so much. I'm a pretty patient bloke and i honestly would have understood if he was running behind schedule. But all he has to do is let me know. Maybe the package has been sent as i write this...? Who knows! ha. But as of right now i still have no idea what's going on. I am still looking forward to my tarp. I will still continue you try and contact him. And i guess all i can do is wait! The only problem is that next time i buy a tarp I may have to look at other options. Sorry if I'm sounding negative but this has been going on for over 2 months and 1 week! Thanks again Gary.
    I don't normally get in these conversations as i've seen it all before. Gary ; i want you to know i fully agree with you,your not the only one who feels that way,,,,and Adam i'm sorry your in this situation. You are definitely not the first as when i joined in 09 people were complaining then. I had a huge screwup with my order a couple of years ago and no communication but Brian did compensate in the end. OES tarps are very good tarps and Brian does a very good job but their not the only tarps around. I hope you get your tarp soon .

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    This situation is tough because the tarps are such great quality but there's just no customer service. Brian should just update his page to let people know OES is a hobby, and not a fully functioning company.

I now have two OES tarps, both purchases second hand on the forums because he never responded to a single message I sent him (e-mail or pm) but I really love the tarps. It's tough.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Coming from another online businessman I second that^ Being late on a product is one thing...not communicating with your customers is a whole different ballgame

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Don't feed the business practice you don't like.

Offer to buy with a down payment, with some expected delivery date, balance to be paid at completion, just prior to shipping.

I'm pleased that Dream-Hammock.com has adopted what will become, I hope, a "when-will-the-bus-I'm-waiting-for"? chart at his web-page. Sets a standard for custom work, and could be yet more informative with another column of expected delivery date. Proprietor doesn't have to stop sewing (or hiring) in order to answer calls and emails about status. The home page tells customers to expect a six week delay.

In another Forum where anxiety about unstated and variable delivery times are also a concern, an HF member points out that he knows the variability across vendors. JacksRBetter.com maintains inventory of most of its products and ships within a day unless the item is out-of-stock. No drama, no suspense.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    Guys I don't think this needs to be a pile on- I'm sure Brian would appreciate being able to get tarps made and shipped rather than dealing with PR problems on the forums.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I don't think anyone has gone overboard yet. The criticisms are valid. Communication is very important in business, and frustrations often result when there is none.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Guys I don't think this needs to be a pile on- I'm sure Brian would appreciate being able to get tarps made and shipped rather than dealing with PR problems on the forums.
    Dealing with PR problems is part of a business. I don't think that anyone is being unfair with their criticism. If you want to run an online business, your reputation is very important. Repeatedly being late with orders, as well as not communicating with your customers is bad business, plain and simple. I appreciate Brian's craftsmanship, and I LOVE the tarp that he made for me. That being said, the tarp took around two months until it was delivered, and I've seen multiple complaints from other customers, of where it took 3+ months, without answering emails, or messages via HammockForums.

I'm not trying to "pile on" criticism, I just don't think that making a great product can overshadow poor customer service. I make 100% of my income from online sales, and I know that "PR problems" are half of running a business; I'm sure that you wouldn't be happy sitting at a table for 45 minutes waiting for you server to take your order, just because the entree was delicious.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast