Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    #4 Snake Skins are their largest size, and I believe they've discontinued all other sizes. I think they used to have a #2 that was fairly popular, but they were smaller. From what I've read, they discontinued all other sizes because the #4 fit everything they made and had no significant weight difference to merrit keeping other sizes in stock - but I could be wrong as I can't find where I read that at...
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    Hennessy Survivor
    Tarp
    OES MACCAT ULTRA
    Suspension
    All-in-one whoopie
    I've actually got a couple sets of the #2 snake skins but a 4 on my current Survivor... it sounds like it should fit, especially with my tarp used separately.

This may be a question for the "bottom insulation" forum but wouldn't using a light weight synthetic (or down) blanket in between the two layers of the SS work well too?? I've got some old GI poncho liners, and a "woobie" by Kifaru that I could stuff in there instead of a pad. Wouldn't that function very much the same way as a "no sh!t" underquilt? I see the value of the pad, but I like being able to stuff the 'cho liner into the nooks and crannies of my pack... hell I could sew two together or so clips onto them to keep them in place like the pad too... Plus if I can get my hands on a used SS with a beat up pad, I'll still have options... Am I missing something?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow-Ape View Post
    I've actually got a couple sets of the #2 snake skins but a 4 on my current Survivor... it sounds like it should fit, especially with my tarp used separately.

This may be a question for the "bottom insulation" forum but wouldn't using a light weight synthetic (or down) blanket in between the two layers of the SS work well too?? I've got some old GI poncho liners, and a "woobie" by Kifaru that I could stuff in there instead of a pad. Wouldn't that function very much the same way as a "no sh!t" underquilt? I see the value of the pad, but I like being able to stuff the 'cho liner into the nooks and crannies of my pack... hell I could sew two together or so clips onto them to keep them in place like the pad too... Plus if I can get my hands on a used SS with a beat up pad, I'll still have options... Am I missing something?
    By "between the 2 layers", do you mean between the pad and undercover? If so, then heck yes it works good. Whatever insulating item that you might have available to stuff into the UC will give a major boost, as long as it is not so heavy that it might pull the UC down enough to cause a gap. But I have been able to put an amazing amount of stuff in there without causing more gap than the added loft was able to fill up.

If you mean "in place of the pad and between the hammock and UC", then yes, that can definitely work also. But now you have entered the world of experimentation, and results will vary. And correct fit may require some experimentation to maintain full coverage. There is a tendency for every thing to slip towards the butt area of the UC. Although, that is the coldest area, so maybe not totally bad. You may even find yourself having to do minor mods like adding Grosgrain loops to secure insulation in place. Also, keep in mind potential condensation problems. Which for me at least, the traditional space blanket on top of the HH pad keeps condensation at low to zero levels.

Keep in mind that the UC exerts enough upward pressure in some spots to flatten 800 FP down. That's why I like fleece in the areas of greatest pressure (butt). This may be a case where weight in the UC, causing a gap, works for you, allowing some room for the down to loft up and fill the gap.

Hammock
    Hennessy Survivor
    Tarp
    OES MACCAT ULTRA
    Suspension
    All-in-one whoopie
    Yeah, thats kind of what I had in mind regarding "in place of the Pad"... I've got several GI poncho liners that I may sew together and sew loops on the end to, in order to be able to position it and have it stay in place... I understand that the SS has clips in it for the pad so I'll use them.

Images
    Yeah, thats kind of what I had in mind regarding "in place of the Pad"... I've got several GI poncho liners that I may sew together and sew loops on the end to, in order to be able to position it and have it stay in place... I understand that the SS has clips in it for the pad so I'll use them.
    The Undercover ( or over cover ) closes around ( forming a "tunnel") the hammock ends either with toggles/elastic ( new style ) or old style just had a tunnel passage that you passed the hammock ropes through. The Open cell foam pad has an elastic "bridle" or cords on each end, that pass through the "tunnels" and attach to the hammock ends. By way of - on the new ones - some mitten clips that you put on with a zip tie, and you hook the pad cords to this. The old style just attached to the the Prussik clips that is used to attach the HH tarp.

So I'm sure you could DIY some cords from your PLUQ to hook up in the same way. Are you just going to but an Undercover ( ~ $110 ) with no pad?

Here is something odd: The HHSS #1 with UC and pad is $139.95. The same UC and pad separate are $105 + 29.95= 134.95. Cheaper to by pas and UC separate?

But hopefully, all will be on sale in Oct!

Hammock
    Hennessy Survivor
    Tarp
    OES MACCAT ULTRA
    Suspension
    All-in-one whoopie
    Just noticed your location... I got stranded in tupelo for a day when trying to get out of Oxford a couple months back.

Images
    Just noticed your location... I got stranded in tupelo for a day when trying to get out of Oxford a couple months back.
    Wow, you could have stopped by and tried out a HHSS or whatever other UQ/hammock ( or most anyway) you were interested in! Unless I was working over in Oxford or Batesville that day, which I do a couple of days a week.

Hammock
    HH Expedition...it's what I have
    Tarp
    Stock tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I kinda made my own HHSS out of the tarp that came with my expedition. I currently stuff a poncho liner in there and it works for me down to 40 degrees or so with my thermarest quilt on top. I haven't gone lower than that yet with this setup. Ymmv...but using the space blanket on top of the insulation provided wayyyyyy to much condensation. I also have used the thermarest below as well...both worked better than a pad for me.

Hammock
    Hennessy Survivor
    Tarp
    OES MACCAT ULTRA
    Suspension
    All-in-one whoopie
    Maestro ... Awesome! I'll likely roll like that and the pad.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12