Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Had a Byer Mosquitoe. They suck because of all the reasons previously listed. Don't waste your money, get a Travel Hammock Skeeter Beater if you want an integrated bug net. Or just buy their Ultra Light Travel Hammock and a seperate but net that can be installed around the hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tnoisaw View Post
    I got one last year and was not impressed. The mosquito netting ripped near the zipper the first time I got in it and the strings tangle something fierce on the ends. It was not a good introduction to hammocking.
    Sorry that this was not a good intro to hammocking. I've had my mosquito for over a year and have not had too many problems. I've had to add a ridge line to add in adjusting the sag. To keep the end lines from becoming tangled I tied a knot (one big overhand knot) at the edge of the hammock and then another about half way down. I got that from another thread, but I could not find just then when I looked for it. I have not seen any pulling on the hammock body other than where the stuff sack is attached to the hammock. I have pics of my hammock which I will try to load up, but I'm new to posting, so not sure if I'll actually be successful.

I usually try and find trees approx. 15' apart. I have about 1.5 to 2 feet of webbing and support before you actually make it to the hammock body.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    I just bought a Byer and gave it a test run this past weekend. I went with the Byer for the same reasons others have: a lower $$$ way of trying out this "hammock camping" thing. I hung it between trees ~15' apart, probaby 5' high. I don't think I experienced the terrible sag that others report. I can see how the lines can get tangled, but a very little care can easily prevent that. I was easily able to sleep on the diaganol, on my back and in the fetal. I am 205 lbs, 73", bad back, bad knees. It wasn't the best night of sleep I've had in the woods, but I'm certainly going to keep trying it. I absolutely loved not sleeping on the ground or having to setup a tent. With only one test in the Byer, I think it is a good intro. More to follow.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    Welcome to the forums amac. I hope you enjoy your byer as much as I have.

I have finally worked up the nerve to start doing mods on it. I have added tie out points to the sides and have ordered fabric to create a second layer to insert a pad. I also have done away with the ridge line that comes with it. I got tired of it being tangled up so I replaced it with one that I had worked out to be the correct length/ right sag. Now, thanks to the law of unintended consequences, I have a new problem... I now have a bug net in my face. What I would like to do is sew loops into the bug netting. I was wanting to do something like the Claytor Jungle Hammock

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html

(I hope the link works)

Any ideas on sewing on the netting with out adding holes that were not meant to be there????
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    Sticks and branche
    Insulation
    Small animals
    Suspension
    Marzocchi
    Quote Originally Posted by locorogue View Post
    My 'byer' 'parachute' is holding up great. Not bad for $20. I have a seperate mosquito net, $15. K.I.S.S....
    Same here. I use it for backpacking with a custom made Tree Line tarp and it workd great. I picked up the Hammock for 15 bucks at Diamond Brand Outdoors.....not a bad deal.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
    ... and have ordered fabric to create a second layer to insert a pad.
    Splinter, how did the second-layer mod go? I am thinking of doing the same mod. What would you suggest in how I go about it? What fabric, how to attach, etc?

Hammock
    Eno hammock w/ENO bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY siltarp 6x11
    Insulation
    DIY under quilt
    Images
    I can relate on the Byer hammock, as I bought the Traveler style w/the cording. That bugged me for awhile, then when I found this site, I used it as a experiment to improve a future new purchase of a different brand. I fiddled with it, added a sheer curtain as a bug net, left the in-out side open/no zipper w/enough drape t tuck in if needed, sewed on the bottom insulation (taken out of old sleeping bag) with nylon facing. Works just same as a quilt, is on all the time. As I am in pretty much cold weather all summer in my neck of the woods, works for me. I now have a hammock from "The travel hammock(TM)" company. Will update this one same as my Byer(which I use on my porch).

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I use my Byer for my 10 year old daughter. It works well!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I just realized a week ago that I have one of these hammocks! It was like finding money in your winter coat from last year. Still packaged and unopened; makes one wonder how I forgot about it . Anyway, I have set it up a few times and spent probably a total of 7 hours in it. I was disappointed that I didn't get that 'Brazilian' feel that I was hoping for; I adore the Brazilian style hammocks for home sleeping. I did get some stretch, but nothing along the lines reported here and I'm close the the 'rated limit' weight wise.

Think I'll do an overnight in it as soon as I get the suspension switched out, but I suspect this would be a good hammock for getting the feel of hanging. More to follow.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I've got a piece of kevlar line that I'm going to use to add a structural ridgeline to my Byer Moskito.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast