Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images

Poncho Liner Top Quilt

The DIY bug bit me again this week. After making a Climashield TQ for winter hangin' I began thinking about making another TQ for summer. I liked the fleece TQ I made last year but it was a little warmer than I wanted and ended up being a bit too short. Didn't work for me but my oldest daughter Ashley was thrilled to get it. Last fall I made Sew-Up PLUQ's for my daughters and for Ashley's boyfriend Jared for Christmas. I'd ordered some poncho liners off fleabay and when I received them I noticed they seemed quite thin. I thought that one might make a good summer TQ so I kept that little tidbit of info stuck in the back of my brain.

A few weeks back Jared's dad asked me if I'd make PLUQs for him and his other son Jonah. Naturally, I told him I'd be glad to and asked him if he'd order an extra for me. The poncho liners came in last week and by the time they arrived, I'd had a pretty good opportunity turn the idea of a poncho liner top quilt around in my brain several times and had pretty much figured out how I was going to make it.

Now I know there are easier ways to make a TQ out of a poncho liner. In fact, it can be done with no cutting or sewing at all...but what fun is that?

Fortunately I'd saved the poster board TQ template I put together when I made my winter TQ so that saved me a big step. All I had to do to get started was spread out the poncho liner, tape the template to it and draw the outline with a Sharpie marker. Next I ran a line if stitching all the way around the the outline of the TQ to 'stabilize' the new edges of the ripstop and the insulation. I used white thread to make the edge easier to see when I cut it out.

Some of the quilting on the poncho liner was coming loose so I change over to the black thread I'd be using for the rest of the build and made some repairs.

Once the repairs were finished I cut the whole thing out.

I added grossgrain ribbon along the top edge and along the sides to cover the raw edges. I added channels of ripstop to the bottom 24 inches of the sides and along the bottom.

The ripstop channels served 3 purposes. 1) They covered the raw edges; 2) the channel along the bottom would receive a drawstring to allow me to cinch up the bottom, creating a foot box and 3) the channels along the sides would be sewn together to complete the foot box.

I was pretty pleased with the result.

As with any new piece of new DIY gear, I had to take it out this afternoon for a test drive...

I'm not sure why but that test drive lasted nearly two hours and I was accused of snoring. Hey, quality control is important right?

BTW, for those that are wondering - total cost was just over $20 for the poncho liner (including shipping), 4 yards of grossgrain and a new spool of polyester thread. I haven't had a chance to weigh it yet...

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Good work! Looks good. Yes testing and QC is very important.
    David
    All my morning aches and pains went away when I discovered hammock camping!

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    That does look good. I slept under a poncho liner last night in the back yard during a test hang. I was thinking of trimming it down and I like your quilt. Please let us know the cut & finished dimensions so I can get an idea! Also, the weight would be nice.

I like it more than I thought; especially the length as I pulled it completely over my head for warmth. zero condensation even though I slept that way for about two hours.

And I admire you for sticking with your testing for the public good - even under adverse conditions.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Poncho liners are indeed comfy as all get out, very nice,,,maybe you need to make some more and sell them to those that want them, They make a great summer quilt. and by the time you get done with them they can't weigh what they started out as..A normal poncho liner weighs in at about 22.3 oz. or so. Great quilt!
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    My template is at my office (conference tables and unused desks make great lay-out and sewing tables). I'll measure the template and toss the TQ on our postage scale in the morning...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WBBB BMJ
    Insulation
    AHE LR, Enlightene
    That looks really nicely done.

you mentioned that you can make a TQ out of a poncho liner without cutting or sewing; can anyone direct me to instructions on that? i couldn't produce it in a search.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    I saw it not too long ago but don't recall where. Seems like it might have been one of dehoja's posts...

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Strikes me that tying the bottom two sets ot laces together would make a foot box of sorts. All one really needs to be able to hook it in place. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Strikes me that tying the bottom two sets ot laces together would make a foot box of sorts. All one really needs to be able to hook it in place. ;-)
    I think that was the general idea...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Primaloft PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Straps
    Images
    Another method would be to sew in a sleeping bag zipper on the foot and open side to create a lightweight bag. In this manner, you can use it as a TQ when needed and unzip it to wrap up in on those cold nights around the campfire.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast