Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    Most of us are older and like to figure stuff out. Young people have the attention span of a Hummingbird. So I think it is partially an age thing.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    The older I get, the harder the ground is.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Caribou Bentspoke View Post
    Most of us are older and like to figure stuff out. Young people have the attention span of a Hummingbird. So I think it is partially an age thing.
    That's not always the case...case in point: Fronkey.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    I am an avid tinkerer and that seems to come from something inside that says "let's look at this differently and see what I can make to achieve all these objectives that meet my personal style", realizing that it is my personal style and others may or may not choose to follow that path, but we do so with respect for one another and with the help of a lot of folks here I am still on that journey. Thank you one and all for your continued support, ideas, witicisms and concern... for people and the planet.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caribou Bentspoke View Post
    That is definitely not the case if you ask my wife..she says I act 12 most of the time.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    That's not always the case...case in point: Fronkey.
    Well, Fronkey IS special.

Geez, a guy goes away for 24 hrs....

Wow, I didn't mean to start a landslide! I love the reponses so far. Much like life...everybody has their own reasons for doing anything. Sorry I don't remember all the names, but YES, as I got older I really hated the sore hips and shoulders and sleepless nights on the ground! Those roots are a killer and too often sites don't have many options. The good news is that in Minnesnowta we have lots of trees and so hangin' can happen almost anywhere, especially in the BWCAW.

Let the stimulating conversation continue!

4 dog

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fibre
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I think we tinker because we don't want to be dumped on the ground in the middle of the night so we faff about with our suspension firstly... is it reliable? How can I make it lighter / simpler / stronger / smaller to pack away?

Then we look at improving comfort by adding tie-outs, ridgelines, organizers, bug nets, socks, tarps, pillows, underquilts, pads etc etc.

Then, once we're fully satisfied with the comfort level we find that the weight has crept up and up so we look at ways of lightening the load and on it goes.

I guess tinkering is just how we find what suits us best. Just when I think I've found the perfect set-up for me, I find someone on HF has found a better way of doing it and so I incorporate that idea too. It's a perpetual journey of comfort and innovation and it's awesome!

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I agree with others that hammock camping is still maturing. Sleeping on the ground has not only been around a while, it's also more engrained in our culture. Sure, there's innovations in materials, but it's still sleeping on the ground. It's still pad and bag.

Although we've seen a lot of great stuff by way of insulation, I think this is the one area with the most innovation yet to come. Other areas of hammock camping have matured faster, primarily due to borrowing from others, e.g., tarps, and bug netting.

Hammocks change the game completely, and let's be honest, it's a trick to adapt ground-based insulation techniques in a hammock. Top quilts with their backs missing is a brilliant idea for hammocks, but it is still a strange concept for main stream. Under quilts are the same. As a community, we're still trying to find that super simple method to attach an under quilt -- something that works every time that even the newbie can figure out.

If we lived in the tropics where hammocks originated, we probably wouldn't be innovating as mucho perhaps. But as we push hammocks in the temperate zones and more extreme climates, we will also be pushing innovation to adapt hammocks to these conditions.

And as another has stated, innovation will also continue to fuel the fringes of faster, less expensive, lighter, and less bulky.

multiple responses to multiple comments

Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    I agree with others that hammock camping is still maturing. Sleeping on the ground has not only been around a while, it's also more engrained in our culture. Sure, there's innovations in materials, but it's still sleeping on the ground. It's still pad and bag.

Although we've seen a lot of great stuff by way of insulation, I think this is the one area with the most innovation yet to come. Other areas of hammock camping have matured faster, primarily due to borrowing from others, e.g., tarps, and bug netting.

Hammocks change the game completely, and let's be honest, it's a trick to adapt ground-based insulation techniques in a hammock. Top quilts with their backs missing is a brilliant idea for hammocks, but it is still a strange concept for main stream. Under quilts are the same. As a community, we're still trying to find that super simple method to attach an under quilt -- something that works every time that even the newbie can figure out.

If we lived in the tropics where hammocks originated, we probably wouldn't be innovating as mucho perhaps. But as we push hammocks in the temperate zones and more extreme climates, we will also be pushing innovation to adapt hammocks to these conditions.

And as another has stated, innovation will also continue to fuel the fringes of faster, less expensive, lighter, and less bulky.
    dehoja,
    Bought your book and REALLY enjoyed it! I'd HIGHLY recommend it to anyone wanting to learn more about "hanging". As you mentioned, I suspect things will continue to evolve with time. You'd better start planning Book 2 soon!
    To Caribou: I used to think somebody in their 60's was all but ancient...now I are one! Getting up off the ground was my major reason for hammocking.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast