Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Enough good things cannot be said about the folks on this forum and it's moderators. As others more eloquent than me have said, "Hammock Forums is my Facebook."

It's an educational hub, a social hub, a get out in the fresh air hub, etc, etc. it's a Welcome Center for hammockers and those just curious about hammocks.

The sub-title of this forum should be, "The friendliest place on the Internet "
    I agree, We share because we have too like Karl said. It's not been in the main stream much and innovation there is somewhat lacking. So cutting edge within our microcosm is imperative for us.

And this is my Facebook too. I can share what I do here without boring or confusing someone in the group because we're all plugged into the same channel!

But maybe it is simply the trees like Diva said! Never trust a person who doesn't care about trees or the environment that supports them....and therefor us.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    It is a great place, and something you don't see all that often in society today...a willingness to share new and innovative ideas for the betterment of community, not merely self.

I recall, for me it was a simple as buying a hammock and after hanging it a few times thinking; "there has to be a better way than this" to suspend it. I believe that led me to the forum. Wow, did that change my outdoors life!

As a child I recall sitting in front of the encyclopedia set (yes the actual books) and grabbing the "S" for Space Travel. Well two hours later, half the set would be out because that led me to "A" for Astronaut and then maybe "M" for Moon and so on. That is what happened here at Hammock Forums for me! I gleaned countless tidbits of knowledge that forever bettered my new pastime.

Like many I lurked for some time, an extended period in my case, but I began to acquire from cottage vendors and love the activity. I suspect that is often the case, as at any given time there are generally more "guests" on the site than those who are logged in.

I suspected I would always use the vendors, as I too prefer to spend my 'free time' with family and in the piney woods, but I recently said what the heck and picked up a spool of Zing It. My thumbs are a little sore as I pen this, but I've made six guy lines and continuous loops for prusiks while sitting around watching movies with the kids this weekend. Will I pull out the 40 year old Singer my mother left me? Not yet!

The folks here are genuine, accepting, innovative and willing to give constructive criticism when needed. It is so unlike the 'real' world!

How would a presidential ticket bumper sticker with the likes of Angry {{Sparrow/Cannibal 2012}} go over???
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    We innovate, because ours is an immature technology, and if not us, who?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Great topic/question------speaking for myself, I have a long history of tinkering with camping gear etc----I think hammocks have provided me with a focus for all that restless energy! It also helps to hear what other like minded people are doing. The first time I got on the forum, I remember thinking "wow, there are other people just like me out there! I thought I was the only one!" I think its safe to say that we inspire each other! Kind of makes me wonder though, will there ever come a day when we've taken hammock technology as far as it can go? (that will be a sad day.)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    It's because of the trees
    and the higher rate of oxygen......compare to the ground....

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    The smart ones pull themselves out of the muck by climbing above it.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    One thing I have noticed is that my expectations are markedly different when I approach a camping spot. I sometimes have to think outside the box to find the best place to hang a hammock, and so I am not simply looking for flat, clear ground. Often you have no idea what the site might look like until you arrive. It has really made me much more creative and open-minded about my site selection.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 4 dog knight View Post
    Back to my original thought, Why are Hammockers SO creative? Is it because it's a farily new (in some respects) to mainstream use and as such still has a way to go before it reaches critical mass? Is it because the very nature of Hangers as adventurous people that they like to push the envelope of creativity in their quest to lighten their load? Is it the continuous stream of new materials and products that drive change and therefore development?
    Simple, a good night's sleep does wonders. Seriously, I think we (hangers) sleep deeper, quicker. Ever try sleep deprivation? It SUCKS! Lots and lots of studies claim that Americans don't get enough sleep on average. I would assume that carries out to other countries and cultures as well. I know I feel fine after 5 hours of sleep in a hammock, compared with 8+ hours in a bed. Lack of sleep has a dramatic effect on both mood and creativity. I think hangers win-out on both fronts because we are better rested. That's my story and I'm stickin to it!
    Quote Originally Posted by ftroop94 View Post
    How would a presidential ticket bumper sticker with the likes of Angry {{Sparrow/Cannibal 2012}} go over???
    I remember being told once, "Never have your picture taken with a drink in your hand; you may want to run for office someday.

Yeah, well, let's just say I have zero political ambitions. I may even have a picture of myself with the angry-one sharing a pitcher at Dot's. Sooooo, I wouldn't invest too much in those bumper stickers.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Quote Originally Posted by 4 dog knight View Post

Back to my original thought, Why are Hammockers SO creative? Is it because it's a farily new (in some respects) to mainstream use and as such still has a way to go before it reaches critical mass?
    I think it is this more than anything. Back in the early '70's when I first started backpacking, there was a lot of tinkering going on as backpacking wasn't as mainstream as it is now. I can remember when you bought your pack frame and pack bag separately. Sometimes from different vendors.

The ultra light/gram weenies were the first innovators of the backpacking world. A lot of mainstream backpacking equipment you find now was once only found in use by those crazy UL/gram weenies. I'm sure there are some here whose first tarp tenting experience was using just the tarp from their tent because the only other tarps available were heavy cotton canvas ones. Learned that one from one of those crazy UL guys.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps

Interesting topic!

I'm thinking that maybe it has something to do with how hammockers aren't afraid to try something different. In my life so far, camping and backpacking has always involved tents and such and that's just the way things were done. Then suddenly you're introduced to hammocking and you become interested in trying out this idea, because there might be a better way. You're not afraid to give it a try.

Some people respond incredulously when presented with the idea; "seriously, a hammock?!" and they're not open to trying something different. And some people I've met won't wear or use anything that isn't name brand or top of the line fashionable. Sad to say, but sports can be a bit of a fashion show.

Certainly some of my DIY gear is kinda mad scientist meets ghetto... but whatever, I learned something making it. I know for sure there's a few engineers, artists, and designers in the HF crowd... they've gotta be creative!

Great topic.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast