Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEarth View Post
    • They do take longer to setup and take down since it's so configurable.

• You can configure them wrong and have a bad night of sleep(not as fool proof like a tent).

• Staying cool in hot summer sucks
    I've never spent longer setting up my hammock than setting up my tent. I can't imagine how this can be true, even with a basic tarp tent. A tent is anything but fool proof. You pick the wrong spot or set up on the wrong slope the wrong way and you'll suffer for it all night. And as far as I am concerned, I've always been cooler in the summer than I would be in a tent if for no other reason than the air can move underneeath rather than have everyting trapped inside the hot box. But that's just my 2 cents. HYOH
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I've never spent longer setting up my hammock than setting up my tent. I can't imagine how this can be true, even with a basic tarp tent. A tent is anything but fool proof. You pick the wrong spot or set up on the wrong slope the wrong way and you'll suffer for it all night. And as far as I am concerned, I've always been cooler in the summer than I would be in a tent if for no other reason than the air can move underneeath rather than have everyting trapped inside the hot box. But that's just my 2 cents. HYOH
    +1

Always took me longer to set up my tent than my hammock. I've spent up 45 min. setting up a tent. You know, adjusting for some what level, removing sticks and stones, filling in holes, moving it to get off a root, etc. Yeah, hammocks are so much better!

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    There's usually more room for your dog in a tent.

Tho I sleep with two Chihuahuas (4 lbs & 6 Lbs) AND an old, blind 26lb mutt in my hammock.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG/JRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more. I've never had trouble setting up my rig. Every time I go out with my ground dweller friends, I am always set up before they have their tents up.

If you are good with your gear and know it like the back of your hand, you should have no problem setting your stuff up.
    Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest places if you look at it right.

Hammock
    camo claytor
    Images
    The only thing i do not like about hammocks is that in the winter thy are cold so i just use the fly so i can sleep on the ground right next to the fire and i do not half to take all the extra like bigger sleeping-bag or the under quilt that add weight ti the pack.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simple Survival View Post
    The only thing i do not like about hammocks is that in the winter thy are cold so i just use the fly so i can sleep on the ground right next to the fire and i do not half to take all the extra like bigger sleeping-bag or the under quilt that add weight ti the pack.
    Do you use a pad on the ground? There is no doubt that I would unless I had lost my pad. But the thing is, I can also just slip that pad into the pad pocket of my JRB Bridge or other double layer hammocks. Or into my SPE with other single layer hammocks. I still find this a good bit more comfy than using that pad on the ground. And because I would have that pad with me anyway- because of plans to sleep on the ground or just to use as a sit pad - There would be no extra weight required.

But here is one of the few obvious reasons I can find not to use a hammock that might apply to a few folks: If you wanted to sleep with your significant other on a multi-night camping trip. ( I don't think having 2 in most double hammocks would be very comfy at all ) Or sometimes the grand kids feel better having an adult sleeping in the tent with them.

And a variation on the no tree theme: I have been some places camping where I was planning to use my hammock- where I was expecting enough trees- but then I found so many dam*ed big dead trees/widowmakers, that it was very hard to find a place to hang where you were not in danger from these trees falling. Of course the danger would have been the same in a tent, no difference. But at least with the tent I could have moved out into always near by meadows. I have in fact done this with my tarp- not because of too many widow makers, but because of no trees. But I would have felt better in a tent had it stormed- that spot was very exposed.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-16-2012 at 17:42.

Hammock
    camo claytor
    Images
    I have never used a pad, don't need one with the hammock and if i half to move to the ground i will pile leaves or grass...etc. like animals do. watch even the animals know to nest when sleeping. watch your dog fluff the blanket before he lays down like he is making it softer....LOL

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    If you want to sleep on the ground...that's certainly one way to do things.

Not sure what that has to do with hammocks though....which is the purpose of this site.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    camo claytor
    Images
    i have gone out with just the hammock, knife, cook pot and if it gets to cold i can move to the ground useing the fly as a wind block. so the ((only)) down fall i have came acros with a hammock is that they get cold if you don't take a pad, under quilt, over quilt, and a lower rated sleeping bag and this all ads weight.

Hammock
    camo claytor
    Images
    what is the weight of most of your packs, mine is never over 20 lbs and thats with extra junk.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast