Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Continuous loop on hammock end

My son and I are new to Hammock camping. As an entry into this world I purchased two Texsport Hobo Hammocks for us and found during the initial test of the hammock in the back yard the suspension supplied with the hammocks is both bulky and weak (stretched considerably with only my 70lb son in it).

http://www.basspro.com/Texsport-Hobo...10216114/45313

To "fix" this poor design I considered whipping the ends of the hammocks (that have a sewn channel) and attaching my newly completed whoopie slings using a larks head at the whipping.

Then I decided to splice a continuous loop through the sewn channel and attaching the whoopie to those with a larks head. I guess my question is... has anyone done this before, or considered this? If so how did it work out for you?

Thanks, Rob.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I have both done to several of my hammocks and they work great. I tend to use the continuous loop with Dutch's whoopie hooks (to switch suspension between hammocks) but all the others are simply threaded through the sewn channel (all my GT's) or larksheaded to the gathered end knob. All good choices in my opinion. If its a shorter hammock use the sewn channel in my opinion.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Baby Orca IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Bought my Hammock Bliss Double about a year ago (end-channel construction) and almost immediately swapped out suspension, going to whoopies larksheaded around the whipped end.

I found the lay to have changed for the worse, so I spliced a couple of continuous loops and threaded them through the channel, to which I attached the whoopies. I don't know if I could have figured out how to make the whipped end configuration work, because I didn't fiddle with it too long.

The desired lay returned, so I've kept the continuous loop through the end channels ever since.
    ol' daddy

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I have the continuois loops run through my end channels and hooked into elephant trunks attached to Harbor Freight 12 foot straps I got for $3 a pair. Works great on several hammocks I have.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Splicing directly through the channel will work, but it makes it more permanent. I love the continuous loop, but I feed it through the channel and pull it through itself to tie a Lark's Head knot.

You can see this in my illustration on re-threading a gathered-end hammock.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I just want to make certain I explained everything earlier so I get accurate input...

The attachment shows how I threaded and spliced the continuous loop...

dejoha, I checked the link you attached, which is how I thought about attaching the continuous loop. However, in my less than experienced wisdom I threaded the single strand through, then did the splice and bury for the loop.

With this new info is this still a "safe" option or should I redo the attachment?

Thanks again!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ra66it; 04-16-2012 at 19:12. Reason: attachment

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ra66it View Post

With this new info is this still a "safe" option or should I redo the attachment?

Thanks again!
    I don't know the material of your hammock but my impressions are this. First, it should hold you fine but over time the small diametre of the line coupled with the fact that the line can slide in the end channel when getting in and out may lead to some wear of the material. I couldn't say how long it would take or even how much wear would happen but its conceivable.

Doing it as dehoja mentioned is good because there would be two strands of line in the end channel and once the larks head is tight, the hammock material is bunch up so tightly that there shouldn't be any friction wear issues.

I have my ENO's done up same as dehoja described with the loops in the end channels finished with a larks head.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

I didn't consider the movement of material on the loop causing wear on the material. Makes sense that the doubled line cinched with the larks head "locks" the material in...

I'll redo the loops and thread it that way... another excuse to play with rope and make knots! HaHa

Thanks everyone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Hey Ra66it. I use a WBBB and Traveler and re-whipped them the way Dejoha does. Super easy and works really well IMHO.

And I see that your from MD. I'm in Baltimore County. Don't know how far away that is from you but if you and your son ever want to check out some Hammock Gear, and some hammocks for some visuals. shoot me a PM I always love meeting up with forum members to chat gear.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

lazy river road, I live in North East Anne Arundel County... not far from the Key Bridge on IS 695. I'd love to hook up and "hang" out and jaw about gear! I'll PM you and see when we could get together

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast