Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies

any tips for set up of the bridge????

Hey everyone,

I took delivery a couple days ago for a JRB bridge hammock. I hope to get it set up on a couple trees this week and was wondering if there are any tips or tricks that I need to do? I've been using a WBBB for a couple years now and am comfortable with the asym set up. Just curious if there is anything else I need to address or look out for with the bridge? Thanks.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well....your tarp pitch may be a wee different due to spreader bars......
    Too, you may not need so much the 30% hang formula with the bridge in general.
    Enjoy!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    if the ends are not pulled apart far enough you will not have the middle pulled up sufficiently when loaded.

So I always do a visual inspection to ensure that the middle of the hammock is pulled up a bit more than the ends.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    if the ends are not pulled apart far enough you will not have the middle pulled up sufficiently when loaded.

So I always do a visual inspection to ensure that the middle of the hammock is pulled up a bit more than the ends.
    +1 on that.

I have the old style bridge. The directions were to have an exact distance plus or minus an inch or two, between the outer most rings. This distance is slightly different for the newer bridge, so you will need to find out what it is ( maybe it will be in the directions).

Then you can put a ridgeline on it for that exact distance. Or, an alternative- again with the old bridge don't know about the new- was to just tighten until the bug net was somewhat tight and then slack off just a bit. That has always seemed to work about right. Like Grizz said though, the middle will be a bit higher than the ends before you get in.

With mine, the head needs to be about 6" higher than the feet, opposite of my other hammocks.

And don't fight it in the shoulders. If on your back, just fold your arms across your chest. Or shift just barely to side position to get more shoulder room. Or of course, just shift up on your side, legs straight or slight fetal.

Put a wide pad in the pad pocket for more shoulder room- and of course for warmth. And don't forget your pillow. Have fun!

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    flip it upside down to attach your underquilt! Keeps your downy goodness out of the dirt, once its all attached, flip the hammock back over.

Images
    Don't sweat it. By your second setup you'll have it down. It comes with directions/tips, but play with it for a few min. and you'll get it.

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Guys I'm going to give it another go this weekend. I've set it up a couple times and the zipper tension is real tight when loaded with me in it. I don't know that I understand how a ridge line would help it set up easier. This is my first hammock without a ridge line(my others are Hennessey and WBBB) which have a factory set ridge line. I think I may be getting in a little over my head here if I am going to be putting a RL on it. Would this be something that Jacks may do for me(for a cost of course)????

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leeinmemphis View Post
    Guys I'm going to give it another go this weekend. I've set it up a couple times and the zipper tension is real tight when loaded with me in it. I don't know that I understand how a ridge line would help it set up easier. This is my first hammock without a ridge line(my others are Hennessey and WBBB) which have a factory set ridge line. I think I may be getting in a little over my head here if I am going to be putting a RL on it. Would this be something that Jacks may do for me(for a cost of course)????
    Well, you don't need a RL. I'm sure if you did it would come with one. The only reason I ever put one on mine is for quick future adjustments. JRB - with the original model- gave a distance that was supposed to span between the two suspension outer rings. It is probably the same with your model, though I think the distance is a few inches shorter.

So I just made a RL for the correct distance. That way when hanging it I just pull the RL snug and I'm there.

But mine ( old, original model) was always easy to set up even without a RL. I'd just leave the removable net on it, tension it so that the net was fairly tight, and then slack off a few inches. This would leave it so that the center- unoccupied- was a little higher than the ends. Like a reverse banana compared to an HH or WBBB.

Have you been having trouble setting it up? Did it come with a recommended distance between the outer suspension rings? Or directions for set up? I know the newer models are somewhat differently set up than mine, but I wouldn't think it would be a big difference. I doubt that the net is supposed to be extremely tight after you are in it. Maybe you need to loosen it up some? Maybe you need to contact the Jacks.

Images
    When you go to set it up, fully zip up the bug net. Then adjust the straps until you see the 'ideal' amount of tension being put on the netting/hammock once you've got the spreader bars in. Once you get it, it will be easier to reconize and get first time in the future. Also, once you get it set up nicely, pop out the bars and try to remember how it looks(it'll look too loose and be close to touching the ground), it'll give you a better idea setting it up next time.

Hammock
    Bear Mt Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Neo Air All Season
    Suspension
    whoopies
    It sounds like you have it pulled a little too tight between the trees. The directions say to pull the suspension tight until the netting gets taught and then back off an inch or two. This never worked for me because my netting has never looked taught no matter how tight the suspension was. One time I tried to unzip the bugnet on one of the corners while i was in the hammock and pulled the seam out because I had the hammock suspension too tight. It just takes some practice.

Quote Originally Posted by leeinmemphis View Post
    I've set it up a couple times and the zipper tension is real tight when loaded with me in it.

• + New Posts