Speer IIIA
    Tarp
    WinterTarp
    Insulation
    PeaPod
    Suspension
    Need to learn this

Looking for buying advice

I want to buy a nice hammock for my wife, who has only slept on the ground before. I thought I had a pretty good idea what to get, but once I start reading up again on all the options and combinations and mods and their relative benefits, I realize how little I know.
    I would really appreciate if some of you with more experience could give some pointers.

She is 5" and 94 lbs, so it should be a light setup. We won't go out when we expect lower night temps than 35-40 F so I'm not sure if an UQ would be overkill. Most of the hiking year it should be around 50 F at night, up to 65 F at most.
    There will be lots of mosquitos in the summer.

I have a Speer with PP and TQ, and I won't be needing the TQ (the PP is *warm*!) so she can use that in her setup.

I have a Speer WinterTarp, do you think that can cover 2 hammocks or should I get a larger one? Which one?

Finally, it would be great if I could get this under $400-500.

I was thinking that the Hennessy Ultralite + SS + OC would be light and nice, not warmer than necessary but she'll probably still need the UC the whole year. The included snakeskins look really nice, it takes me forever to set my Speer up...
    But then I've seen some complaints about Hennessy build quality and the durability of the UC, and it looks like lots of people are selling theirs in the forum.

Speer doesn't seem to have many options available right now.

I also looked at JRB (perhaps The Nest would be nice), but they don't seem to have any lightweight hammocks.

What combination would you get for this kind of usage?

(If there's a decent ultralight couple solution I'd consider that, but I haven't seen any so I'm assuming that there are none!)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    As short and light as she is (petite anyone!) the Grand Trunk Nano 7 might be a perfect fit. You would have to find or DIY a bugnet for it though. For full on luxury you could go with a single layer 1.1 War Bonnet Blackbird. You could also look into DreamHammocks, Papa Smurf will cut you a custom size. I'm not personally a fan of Hennesy Hammocks.

The UQ, well I'm happy with my Molly Mac Shamu down to about 40F* and it sounds like that's about what you need. It would be more than a full length UQ for your wife. Maybe the DIY Insultex UQ (pinned thread in DIY Forum) would be a better fit, should be 3/4 length for her.

The tarp, Yes I'd think you could get both of you under your tarp. If it were my GF I would want the piece of mind to know that she had something of her own though, just in case. A small asym tarp, like the Hennesy Scout, would be sufficient for her if she got caught in the rain alone.

Estimated Sub Total = $200-350 depending on how much you DIY.

That's just my $0.02 for what it's worth.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    For her size & weight, I would agree that Grand Trunk Nano 7 would be a great lightweight choice. Perhaps pair it with the Edge tarp from Warbonnet Outdoors.

There are so many quilt options out there it's dizzying. If weight & packability are high priorities, you can't beat down. However, value priced synthetic quilts from Arrowhead Equipment would be fine for your projected weather. They wouldn't be much heavier than down but would be more bulky in the pack.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    http://store.grandtrunkgoods.com/ult...beeter-hammock
    I would go with that hammock, or something similar. It's 20 ounces with bug netting.
    I would have also recommended the Grand Trunk Nano 7 if there were a bug net option. You mentioned lots of mosquitos, that's why I recommended the Ultralight Skeeter Beeter.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    My wife likes my Warbonnet Black Bird. take a look at the 1.1 Single layer. Not the lightest option but one of the most comfortable.

S

Hammock
    Speer IIIA
    Tarp
    WinterTarp
    Insulation
    PeaPod
    Suspension
    Need to learn this
    Thank you, great replies.

To sum it up, hammock options:
    Grand Trunk Nano 7 - needs mosquito net mod, no ridgeline
    Warbonnet SL 1.1 BB - what does "line/strap suspension" mean?
    Ultralight Skeeter Beeter - out ot stock, no price
    Dream-Hammocks.net - long waiting times, says ~30oz which seems a bit heavier than the others. More things included perhaps? I'm curious about this.

Tarp and UQ:
    Will check out the Molly Mac Shamu and WB Edge Tarp

Thanks

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    http://www.campmor.com/grand-trunk-s...-hammock.shtml
    They have the Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter in stock, it's $59.99

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    My wife is 5'2" and best money that fits her to a T,,is the Arrowhead Equipment synthetic Jarbridge 3/4 quilt. Its like she has a full length quilt under her. Got a 50 degree for summer, and a 30 degree for 3 season,,and she has had it down to 30 with a 40 mph gusting wind/blowing spits of snow..and enjoy the warmth immensely..14 oz weight on the 50 and 20oz weight on the 30 and they pack small. If you want just one,,go with the 30 and vent both ends in the summer and works perfect for 3 season. for starters for the wife, check out the light skeeter beaters with bug nets as you can flip them over when no bugs and be nettless. Then let her make her own mind up as she gets hooked on hammocking more and let her decide what she wants.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gaidal View Post

Grand Trunk Nano 7 - needs mosquito net mod, no ridgeline
    Ridgline is a simple mod, since you'll probably switch out steel hooks for whoopie slings anyway; just do it all at once.

A detached bugnet isn't hard to craft. Some no-seeum ultra, velcro, grossgrain and a zipper. Ask around someone could surely make one for you at a fair price.

Warbonnet SL 1.1 BB - what does "line/strap suspension" mean?
    I do believe that means whoopie slings/toggle/straps

Ultralight Skeeter Beeter - out ot stock, no price
    Not a bad choice but certainly not the lightest or most luxurious. Also no ridgeline, or real suspension to speak of; bug net can be a fiddle fest.

Dream-Hammocks.net - long waiting times, says ~30oz which seems a bit heavier than the others. More things included perhaps? I'm curious about this.
    Pretty sure you are looking at a full size double layer. At you wife's size, geez she's small, she can use a much smaller hammock, email Papa Smurf for more info.

Tarp and UQ:
    Will check out the Molly Mac Shamu and WB Edge Tarp
    I forgot that they have the Baby Orca too. It's listed as 2/3rds length, probably more her size.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY winter
    Insulation
    ATP
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    +1 on the Nano 7. That thing is liiiiight. Wish I could get away with that size of hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast