wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WeTommyD View Post
    Hello guys,

I have used this forum to help me in my decision to purchase a clark nx-200 for a two & half week cycling trip in North East Canada. I of course need to travel as light as possible.

Last Wednesday, I set up the nx-200 for the first time. It was a nice 68 degree night. I was a bit warm. I noticeed that I could not feel any breeze from the bottom or sides of the hammock which would have cooled me down. I ended up sleeping on top of my North Face Cat's Meow 20 degree sleeping bag.

So my question is as follows: Can I ditch the sleeping bag to save weight on my trip or would that be foolish? Average lows in the Gaspe region at night are 50 degrees. I saw some silk liners that at EMS that I thought would save space and weight. Please let me know any ideas you might have.

Thanks

Tom
    i never go without a pad even in the summer.i carry a light wieght micro fleece 50 x 60 throw in the summer cost 5 bucks and wieghs 11 ozneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    That pretty much answers the question whether or not you will need your bag. Heck, I would need my pad as well

Hammock
    Clark NX-200 & Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    RX-200
    Insulation
    Shenandoah Long
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiden View Post
    I wouldn't go without a bag (or quilt, or whatever) under 60F. 50 is insane. You're likely to die at that temperature unless you have a lot of clothing which would probably weigh more than your bag anyway. Most cases of hypothermia happen well above freezing temperatures. It's easy to underestimate how much colder you are while sleeping vs walking around at the same temperature. According to the CLO charts, you need seven times as much insulation while asleep.
    I don't want to die, so I will unfortunately bring some sort of bag (I appreciate the experiences and recommendations of those on the forum)

I just checked the current weight of my bag and it weighs 2 lbs & 3oz. I guess I will need to do some research on lights bags or quilts. My current plan is to stuff the Hammocks pockets with my clothes and a few zip lock bags. Has this been successful for those that have used the Clark hammock in 40 to 60 degree weather?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiden View Post
    no offense BB, I get what you're saying, but IMO, 22 oz of polarguard clothing could just as easily be spent on a 22 oz (or less) bag. I bet your BMW clothing is expensive too. Basically you're wearing a high tech synthetic sleeping bag in the shape of a jacket and pants. Don't get me wrong, I have the same kind of stuff, but i'd rather have a 40 degree bag for 50 degree nights than carry such warm clothing when it's 70+ during the day. My 40 degree quilt is just under 16 pz (jrb) and a 6 oz pad is all I need. Plus it's a lot easier to cool off than if I had to remove pants.

that's just my preference, I can understand the alternative argument
    No offense taken. But, don't get the idea I am trying to recommend this particular set up for any body over taking a light bag. I was just relating my experience that at 50* I got by with the warm clothing I had with me any way, but at 45*F I felt like I would need a bag. ( or, I should have said: and/or more clothes) WeTommyD wanted to know if he needed a bag at 50, and I was just pointing out that would depend on what clothing he had with him, as well as his cold tolerance and other factors.

And you are right, that clothing is pretty expensive, as I bet your 40 degree down quilt is. Good stuff is often expensive.

Also, If I should decide to take a bag or quilt rather than the warm clothing, I will have the weight of the quilt and no warm clothing. If I take the quilt and clothing, I will need to add the weight of the clothing.

However, since I always take some warm clothing to the western mountains with me, and even my lightest fleece jacket ( X-large and no hood) weighs more than this hooded jacket, and since even my long john pants weigh as much as these pants, and because I find them very useful for sitting around camp even when it is not all that cold, and because it is waterproof/windproof/breathable plus resistant to wet weather(PG)--- I like em a bunch. And if temps for sure won't be below 50, there might be the occasion when I will choose to leave the bag behind and just take the PG clothing. And for sure, when I do take them, I will always take a LIGHTER bag/quilt if it is available to me.

But whatever clothing anybody uses, it will be a factor in how much bag they need, or maybe even if they need a bag at all.

But I am not recommending one way or the other.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-21-2008 at 20:21.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Speer Underquilt
    I have a Marmot Pounder which I love.
    Weighs one pound.
    At 50 degrees it should be enough unless you're a cold sleeper.

Hammock
    Tarp
    RX-200
    Insulation
    Shenandoah Long
    My decision was to go with the JRB Shenandoah Summer Quilt rated to 40-45 degrees. It came in the mail today and I could not believe how light the box was. The size & weight of the quilt is really going to help with my panier packing. Probably, half the size!

I slept outside the last two nights in the hammock. Both nights were 60 degrees The first night I slept outside with no bag or insulation. I got a bit cold from the bottom of the hammock and decided to go indoors in the middle of the night.

Last night I slept on top of my North Face bag and all was fine.

I hope to have a few more test runs before my trip (Aug 9) where I can use the new quilt and stuff the pockets of the Clark with my gear to avoid cold spots.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WeTommyD View Post

I slept outside the last two nights in the hammock. Both nights were 60 degrees The first night I slept outside with no bag or insulation. I got a bit cold from the bottom of the hammock and decided to go indoors in the middle of the night.

Last night I slept on top of my North Face bag and all was fine.

I hope to have a few more test runs before my trip (Aug 9) where I can use the new quilt and stuff the pockets of the Clark with my gear to avoid cold spots.
    So, just curious, what kind of North Face bag was that? And was it down or synthetic?

Hammock
    Tarp
    RX-200
    Insulation
    Shenandoah Long
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So, just curious, what kind of North Face bag was that? And was it down or synthetic?
    It is an North Face Cats Meow 20 degree synthetic mummy bag

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12